“Fantastic (Not Over-bearing) Service”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Amherst
Horace Kellogg Homestead Bed & Breakfast
Ranked #8 of 12 Amherst B&B and Inns
Reviewed 15 January 2014

I have stayed with Susan & Steve for two year in row while attending a convention at UMASS.
The house is located outside the main hustle of the college town, but is only a 10 minute walk. The owners are wonderful, honest people who know when to leave you alone and when to chat. I usually like to stay alone and relax by myself, so this is definitely a nice thing. Breakfast every morning was different and freshly made. I never left feeling empty.

The Wi-Fi and cable worked just fine and were wonderful to be able to use. The bathroom was shared between the two rooms at the site. It was of substantial size and easy to use, even though everyone staying there was using it at the same time (we managed just fine).

Overall, great place to stay that is relaxing and quiet. Steve & Susan really are the bee's knees when it comes to B&B owners.

Room Tip: Pick the B&B if you want to remain close to Amherst but still be removed enough to relax.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Ethan D
There are newer reviews for Horace Kellogg Homestead Bed & Breakfast

Reviewed 6 October 2013

My daughter and I stayed in March when we were looking at colleges. The Homestead is that great balance of a rich historical atmosphere with all modern amenities. We were welcomed and well taken care of, and it was very quick to walk in to Amherst. There are some lovely birds kept downstairs, which I found fascinating.

Room Tip: Don't fear the street side, there is no noise to speak of.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Leslie I
Reviewed 14 June 2013

What a wonderful B&B. This is a beautiful colonial style home with great screened porch for sitting a lovely garden. The B&B is conveniently located close to downtown Amherst and the bike path. The innkeepers, Sue and Steve make you feel like you are at home. Plus they serve a yummy breakfast each morning!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 16 January 2013

I polled my fellow attendees, most of whom are at a chain hotel and spending as-much or more with their "priority discount rate" as government or major manufacturer employees.
They've none with the homespun comforts and amenities. I mentioned wood fire comfort last night, and breakfast this morning, and got wistful stares in return. Evidently Dunkin Donuts and a noisy room heater didn't compare.

Note: my desire to partake of Hotel "Spin" or Pilates is minimal after 10 hours in class, so I'm not impressed by gym access.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank 43north
Reviewed 26 July 2012

When we first tried booking this B&B, we were informed that it was full, but we shortly thereafter received an offer for another room on the second floor with its own entrance (that does not appear on their website), with bath and all the other amenities. We booked it, but when we arrived, found that it had been let to someone else in error. The guest, apparently a friend of the host, agreed to a swap and we got the room, which turned out to be remarkable for a B&B.

It was very large, with closets and drawer space that would suit an apartment. The kitchen nook had a stocked fridge (the other rooms share one, I understand), a microwave, toaster, sink, and a little table w/chairs. The hosts had to leave before us on our final day, so breakfast was prepared and left for us in the fridge the day before. The newly renovated bathroom was fully stocked. The wifi was weak in the room, but strong downstairs; the TV had full coverage. The bed was exceptionally comfortable. The AC was a wall unit, far enough away from the bed not to be distracting.

The B&B is located on a main, but quiet, road, particularly convenient to Amherst and Hampshire colleges,

Room Tip: The two rooms advertised on the website look quite good, but the room we had, with its own bath...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank Marc D
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Where do I begin? We really enjoyed this place. The innkeepers did everything they could to make our stay as relaxing as possible. The beds were so comfortable we slept like babies. Our party had both rooms in the bed & breakfast. The food was very good with a nice variety each day (fruit salad, breads, bacon/sausage, eggs, potatoes, that sort of thing). The place from top to bottom was as clean as could be. This is really a well taken care of bed and breakfast where the innkeepers care about everything, especially you.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank RebeccaJane_7
Reviewed 14 August 2011

I wanted to recommend this place because it was such a good deal ($115 for 1 night, 3 guests), and the couple who own it seem like honest, nice folks. It was a pretty stress free stay, but with problems. First, when making the reservation I was open about being 3 people, one a teen well over 6'3", who would need to share accommodations. I was sorry to find the very ordinary, but large room we stayed in to be badly appointed and uncomfortable due to an army cot or ancient pullout couch serving as the only bed choices for our tall teen. The master bed was super comfy, the a.c., ceiling fan and tv worked well, and everything was shabby chic, spotlessly clean- like grandma's house. But even I, at only 5'6" couldn't hack the cot or couch. There was tons of room in the room for a decent twin/full bed, but it was taken up by a ridiculous little table and chair set no one will likely ever use. We brainstormed and put the cot mattress on top of the ancient pullout mattress and my son slept with his feet sticking out, and he was comfortable enough. When we checked in at dinnertime, our hosts made it very clear they wanted us down at breakfast "the earlier the better". But with a 10 a.m. appointment only 3 minutes away at the college, that was not our plan. Why run a B&B if you don't want to be there for breakfast? We went down at 9, the husband ignored us for 5 minutes while we awkwardly waited at the table. The muffins were stale, the yogurt and fruit was slimy overripe bananas with sliced almonds that was warm and horrid, and when he finally showed up with french toast, it had more weird almonds scattered all over it and my husband said it smacked of being warmed over. Not a good meal. Cereal would have been much more appreciated. So there it is in a nutshell. I guess you get what you pay for. Otherwise, the room was very quiet and convenient to the college. But I don't give it a rave.

Room Tip: Ask very specific questions about the size and age of the beds.
  • Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
5  Thank whatsitwerth
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amherst
Courtyard Hadley Amherst
Hampton Inn Hadley-Amherst
Comfort Inn
Comfort Inn
#5 of 7 in Hadley

Been to Horace Kellogg Homestead Bed & Breakfast? Share your experiences!