“very comfortable”

Ranked #6 of 12 Amherst B&B and Inns
New York City, New York
“very comfortable”
Reviewed 22 January 2014

I enjoyed my one night stay at Allen House. The house is attractively decorated, very warm and welcoming. The proprietors are endlessly hospitable. My room, with ensuite private bathroom, was very comfortable. The house was quiet at night and I slept like a baby. At breakfast, I enjoyed a good meal and made new friends. I heartily encourage travelers to stay at Allen House Victorian inn.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled solo

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Allen House will be my place of choice in the Amherst area. I was treated like a visiting friend, in a house beautifully decorated and well appointed. The breakfast was sumptuous, and Ann and Allen went out of their way to be helpful. It is only a short walk from the train station, too, which was a bonus.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled solo

The décor is fun
Charming building
Great location near E Dickinson Museum
Chocolates in the room!
Lovely antiques in house, nice old fashioned detail in décor

Minuses:
You have to go their other B&B, a 5 min walk away, for brekkie, which is fine if it's not raining. Or you don't like walking (I do, but I mention this for others)
The B&B is very dark inside
It was very noisy my first night (student party next door). Street noise is an issue too. Use earplugs!
The room was cold and had heaters you can't control. Heating on only twice a day for a short period.
Cash only in payment
No website or email address

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Ladybird43
Brimfield, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 October 2013

If you ever wondered what it would be like to live during the romantic period of the Victorian era, then you would love to stay at the Allen House or Amherst Inn. Owners, Alan and Ann authentically and lovingly restored and decorated these two beautiful estates. The attention to detail is amazing. The wallpaper is actually imported and masterfully applied to the walls--as well as the front hall ceiling! Their collection of artwork and furniture augments the experience. I imagined Emily Dickinson as my neighbor and looked forward to visiting her home the next day. The ambiance set the tone for a more mannerly and relaxing weekend. My husband read me poems while resting on our luxurious antique bed. We truly felt we were living the dream. In the morning, we descended the hand-carved staircase, sat at the beautifully set table, and ate a delicious breakfast. We look forward to revisiting this dream vacation.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Rockville, Maryland
Reviewed 28 October 2013

We are not B&B travelers by nature, but I thought, "why not?" since the inn was price competitive with the Amherst Express hotel chains (which had limited openings), was right on Main Street, included free breakfasts, and provided in-room bathrooms - - a very desirable feature for senior citizens like us.
Allen greeted us and showed us the other open rooms after we were settled. He pointed out the Shifman mattresses, which are hand-stitched and which we coincidentally had just recently ordered for our home. Traffic noise was muted even though we were in a front bedroom, and windows on two walls let in good sunlight. We did not even hear the night train going by a block away.
The World Series was happening, and we were encouraged to sit in the parlor and watch the first two games on their Sony TV and warm ourselves by the gas fireplace. Even Panda, the large black/white cat joined in and even sat on my lap (which I asked for) for a while to let me know she liked having us there. We are allergic to many environmental sources and animal dander, which usually keeps us from trying B&Bs, but had no problems with our rooms, the houses, or even Panda.
The innkeepers, Allen and Ann, are extremely warm people, so it did seem more like we were staying in the house of friends than in a commercial establishment. And it turned out that Alan grew up in Amherst and knew a friend who we had come to visit.
Aside from the range of hot and cold breakfast choices, the coffee was so tasty I drank more than I should have - - a pinch of salt, Ann said, removes bitterness. Aside from coffee, I found myself taking a home-baked crispy cookie from the ever-filled Allen House jar in the afternoons.
Breakfast conversations with many interesting guests, evening conversations with the hosts, silence when we wanted it. We enjoyed the week, and may now try other B&Bs because of the experience. Highly recommend this B&B!

Room Tip: Although the Queen bed we had may have been the largest bed in the house, the bathroom was created o...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Carmel, Indiana
Reviewed 25 October 2013

Step back in time to another era, to 19th century Amherst, Massachusetts. An authentically-period decorated cottage nestled in the historic heart of beautiful downtown Amherst. Situated very near to the highly rated and beloved Emily Dickenson House Museum (for those of you who are poetry buffs) as well as in walking distance to Amherst College and all it has to offer. Don't miss Amherst College's Mead Art Museum and Natural History Museum. Whether you are visiting your college student in the Pioneer Valley, (5 colleges include Smith, Mount Holyoke, Hampshire, UMass Amherst, and Amherst College), touring historic New England, or wish to go back into a past full of charm and history and to a place that has at LEAST one ghost, you will undoubtedly enjoy a lovely, comfortable stay (with breakfast) at the Allen House Inn.

Room Tip: We enjoyed Room 7 at the top of the stairs.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
New York City, New York
Reviewed 9 October 2013

By far the most unique and rewarding place to stay in the area. Very lucky to have booked here as opposed to any of the other area inns. I absolutely adored my stay. The inn itself is remarkable, and highly unusual, impeccably restored and done in the visually opulent, diverse style of the Aesthetic Movement from the Victorian era (you'll find counterpoints in the Met's collection in NYC), which drew on inspiration from Japanese, Chinese, and Persian arts. It's a rare, visually rich experience, and an opportunity to live cozily inside the era, with its romantic lace curtains, cherry wood, and lamps. Very special, and transporting to be inside that history. The inn is also run by two people whose genuineness, warmth, and generosity just put you at ease. So kind. They offer that magical combination of attentiveness, knowledge, and privacy. It's a very peaceful, stately home. The location is also far better than anywhere else---the two inns (they also have Amherst Inn down the street) are a short walk down a lovely historic street to the center of town, Amherst Inn faces Emily's Dickinson's old homestead and that iconic roofline! I am very particular about beds, but mine was incredibly comfortable, and breakfast, a full breakfast, quite a spread--terrific. If you are in Amherst or the surrounding area, and they have room, this is where you should stay. All my travel experiences should be half as rewarding, and the rates are so reasonable. Will be recommending to everyone I know. A wonderful experience that helped to open up Amherst's rich literary history for me.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
Also consider these accommodations in or near Amherst
Hotel UMass
Econo Lodge Hadley
Econo Lodge Hadley
#5 of 7 in Hadley
Hampton Inn Hadley-Amherst

Been to Allen House Victorian Inn? Share your experiences!