All reviews homemade bread mulberry room sausage and bacon eggs great advice future visits to the area breakfast was amazing bed and breakfast nice bathroom romantic getaway private bath queen bed my son marie jams muffins mass
Reviewed 9 July 2013

My husband and I just returned from our vacation in Amherst, MA and are eager to spread the word about Black Walnut Inn. The hospitality we received was wonderful - matched by the amazing home-baked breads/muffins and wonderful jams of our host, Marie! Our room was lovely with the couch set apart from the bed which nicely accommodated our disparate bedtime schedules. The home was very clean and orderly, while at the same time, welcoming and available for use by the guests. Black Walnut Inn felt safe and inviting and was our home-away-from-home. I can't imagine anyone being less than pleased with Black Walnut Inn.

Deb & Steve

Room tip: The "Poets" room was quiet with good natural lighting and private bath.
Date of stay: July 2013
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I was in Amherst to visit my son and family and to attend my grandson's high school graduation. This was absolutely a wonderful experience to stay at the Black Walnut Inn. My room (Carhart) was very large, beautifully decorated, very clean, very comfortable, and Marie was so gracious. You just did not want to leave! She showed me through some of the other rooms that were vacant at the time and all will provide a wonderful experience for your travels. All have private baths. Breakfast was from 7-10 in the family dining room--juice, coffee, tea, eggs, bacon, homemade bread and jams, pancakes, muffins--to your order. Every place you looked was another interesting item, piece of furniture, architectural feature. It was built in the 1700's and the place just drips with history. Do not leave without some of the homemade jam. I could just eat the whole jar! I have stayed in several B & B's and this is one of the very best. That part of the world has so many things to see, do, and visit and the people are friendly--I understand why my son just stayed there after getting his degree from UMASS.

Room tip: Carhart room was excellent==beautifully decorated !! very large, very comfortable, king size bed; couch; large bath. You do not want to leave! A gas "wood" stove for chilly nights, air conditioned, refrigerator, TV, very spacious
Date of stay: June 2013
  • Trip type: Travelled solo
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We have stayed at the Black Walnut Inn since my daughter was in high school checking out colleges. Luckily for us, she chose a school in the Pioneer Valley so we have been staying at the Black Walnut Inn for five years. We just love it. Marie is friendly and always helpful. She even managed to feed all her guests a delicious breakfast during commencement weekend when the inn was completely booked with families anxious to get to their ceremonies. The rooms are big and comfortably furnished. Breakfast is a delight. The inn is well-located to get to any of the schools in the area, but is a little out of the way so quiet. We will miss our regular visits to the Black Walnut now that our daughter has graduated, but I'm sure we will manage to find our way back.

Room tip: The Carhart room is amazing--the original farm family's sleeping loft. The rooms on the first floor are very convenient if you don't want stairs as they are right off the parking lot, but the upstairs rooms have more charm.
Reviewed 27 May 2013

We have stayed at the Black Walnut Inn for the past four years while attending school events for our son. It is an absolutely wonderful bed & breakfast experience. The folks in charge are friendly and helpful. The Inn has very spacious and comfortable rooms. Breakfasts are delicious, with a wide choice of options. Marie makes some sort of tasty homemade coffee cake or muffins, along with a seasonal fruit to accompany the meal. I will always have fond memories of my many stays at the Black Walnut Inn and will definitely return if my travels bring me to the area. I highly recommend it.

Room tip: Try to get a room on the second floor of the main house. There is only one room on the main floor, which is great but it is a bit noisier as it is directly beneath an upstairs room.
Reviewed 22 May 2013

We stayed at the Black Walnut Inn for three days for our daughter's commencement in Northampton along with our son and daughter's godparents. Our room (#2) and the godparents' room (#1) in the main house were both lovely and well appointed. Breakfast was excellent with eggs, pancakes, fresh baked goods, etc., at times of your choosing. The inn is outside of downtown Amherst in a quite part of the town and convenient to Rt. 9 without going through downtown or UMass. All the staff we friendly and helpful. We recommend the Black Walnut Inn most highly.

Room tip: Rooms in the main house are the prettiest. All rooms we saw are pleasant.
1  Thank Anthony B