All reviewsbill's roomhomemade breadeggssausage and baconnew englandwood stovefederal stylebreakfast was amazingbed and breakfastwonderful experiencewonderful roomamherst collegeboth morningsnice bathroomromantic getawaymy sonmarie
Reviewed 1 August 2013

We spent one night at the Black Walnut Inn during a short vacation to the Amherst area and were very pleased that we did. The Poet's room was very quiet and had both a comfortable bed and a couch. The entire inn was extremely clean and beautifully furnished. The best part of the stay was the huge breakfast, including eggs, bacon, sausage, pancakes, French toast, homemade bread pudding and homemade muffins with homemade jam. Tricia was our wonderful, welcoming cook/waitress at breakfast, and Marie, the hard-working innkeeper. Another plus was the central air-conditioning in our room upstairs. We will definitely stay at the Black Walnut if we return to Amherst.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 July 2013

Over the July 4th weekend, we spent an evening at the Black Walnut Inn. A very pleasant experience. We were a party of three, and our room was spacious and comfortable, with two large queen beds. The Inn is in North Amherst, and very convenient to the colleges (Amherst, Mount Holyoke and Smith) we were visiting on our trip. Breakfast was marvelous, and the inn owner explained to us at length about her methods for making the preserves, the centerpiece of our morning meal. One of the jams was made of mulberries, which I had never tried. (The jams were for sale, so we loaded up with several jars.) We highly recommend this bed and breakfast: a nice, historic property with exceptionally friendly staff.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 July 2013

My husband and I just returned from our vacation in Amherst, MA and are eager to spread the word about Black Walnut Inn. The hospitality we received was wonderful - matched by the amazing home-baked breads/muffins and wonderful jams of our host, Marie! Our room was lovely with the couch set apart from the bed which nicely accommodated our disparate bedtime schedules. The home was very clean and orderly, while at the same time, welcoming and available for use by the guests. Black Walnut Inn felt safe and inviting and was our home-away-from-home. I can't imagine anyone being less than pleased with Black Walnut Inn.

Deb & Steve

Room Tip: The "Poets" room was quiet with good natural lighting and private bath.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I was in Amherst to visit my son and family and to attend my grandson's high school graduation. This was absolutely a wonderful experience to stay at the Black Walnut Inn. My room (Carhart) was very large, beautifully decorated, very clean, very comfortable, and Marie was so gracious. You just did not want to leave! She showed me through some of the other rooms that were vacant at the time and all will provide a wonderful experience for your travels. All have private baths. Breakfast was from 7-10 in the family dining room--juice, coffee, tea, eggs, bacon, homemade bread and jams, pancakes, muffins--to your order. Every place you looked was another interesting item, piece of furniture, architectural feature. It was built in the 1700's and the place just drips with history. Do not leave without some of the homemade jam. I could just eat the whole jar! I have stayed in several B & B's and this is one of the very best. That part of the world has so many things to see, do, and visit and the people are friendly--I understand why my son just stayed there after getting his degree from UMASS.

Room Tip: Carhart room was excellent==beautifully decorated !! very large, very comfortable, king size bed; couch; large bath. You do not want to leave! A gas "wood" stove for chilly nights, air conditioned, refrigerator, TV, very spacious
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 2 June 2013

We have stayed at the Black Walnut Inn since my daughter was in high school checking out colleges. Luckily for us, she chose a school in the Pioneer Valley so we have been staying at the Black Walnut Inn for five years. We just love it. Marie is friendly and always helpful. She even managed to feed all her guests a delicious breakfast during commencement weekend when the inn was completely booked with families anxious to get to their ceremonies. The rooms are big and comfortably furnished. Breakfast is a delight. The inn is well-located to get to any of the schools in the area, but is a little out of the way so quiet. We will miss our regular visits to the Black Walnut now that our daughter has graduated, but I'm sure we will manage to find our way back.

Room Tip: The Carhart room is amazing--the original farm family's sleeping loft. The rooms on the first floor are very convenient if you don't want stairs as they are right off the parking lot, but the upstairs rooms have more charm.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family