All reviewsbill's roomhomemade breadeggssausage and baconnew englandwood stovefederal stylebreakfast was amazingbed and breakfastwonderful experiencewonderful roomamherst collegeboth morningsnice bathroomromantic getawaymy sonmarie
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My wife and I and my elderly mother stayed here this past weekend for just one night (they'll accept single night reservations on non-busy weekends, and so we got lucky). Our short stay was simply outstanding. Both rooms were very attractive, very well decorated and extremely comfortable. My mother continues to rave about the quality of the bedding...she says her top sheet felt like it must have been made of silk (but we don't think it was), it was so smooth and comfortable. The weekend we stayed brought a November cold snap with a dusting of snow. Nonetheless, the inn and our rooms were warm and cozy. We didn't meet Marie and her son Dan until breakfast on Sunday morning. Lovely people and what a super breakfast. Everything home made, anything you could want available and everything we tasted was excellent. We wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in two of the four rooms in the main house. Don't know what the rooms in the adjoining buildings are like, but the room in the main house are outstanding.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We spent the weekend at the lovely Black Walnut Inn and it exceeded all of my expectations - the Mulberry Room was extraordinarily comfortable and, unlike a lot of B&Bs, this was a totally clean and clutter-free room (so often, a B&B is filled with small knick-knacks, doilies, and bric-a-brac, which I find aesthetically unappealing) -- a very comfortable bed, fast and free wifi, a big bathroom, a small table and two chairs (and yes, those are Lindt truffles waiting for you on the table...!), and the world's smallest closet (warning: if you're staying in Mulberry, limit your hanging garments!).

Extra points for an extraordinary breakfast (what I particularly loved is that you can get anything you want - eggs any style, pancakes -- including chocolate chip pancakes, french toast) which always begins with warm, homemade muffins. Add to it a friendly staff, a really great location (a few minutes drive to Amherst center, to Amherst College, and to UMass), and reasonable prices.

I will say: the website doesn't do justice to the place, and isn't the easiest to navigate (I had to email to find out, for example, what time check in was). And because the website isn't great, sometimes there can be minor communication glitches. I shifted my reservation forward one day, and received an email confirmation that this was fine, but then the day of my arrival I received a call indicating that I hadn't shown up for my reservation. As I was leaving, one of the young women who works there mentioned some website modernization, so hopefully that will make reservations easier, and offer guests all the basic info they need.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We had 11 family members stay there recently to celebrate our niece's wedding. It was a great experience, we enjoyed visiting with the owners and they were very accommodating and their breakfast in the morning was great.

We had a one year baby and they were very helpful in allowing us access to the kitchen late at night and placing a small refrigerator in our room.

Look forward to staying there again, when our family gets together to celebrate another wedding.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 October 2013

The Black Walnut Inn (BWI) is everything you want in a bed and breakfast. The rooms are cozy and quaint, the breakfast outstanding and the hospitality warm and welcoming. I knew we were in for a pleasant experience as soon as we arrived. I walked up to the door and there was a note with my name on it telling me which rooms we were in and where our keys were. I don't know how it can be made any easier. Our room was on the first floor, very convenient to the car which is important to my wife who walks with a cane, and very large. My sister's room was on the second floor of the main house. While it wasn't as large, it was every bit as nicely appointed. The breakfast was exceptional, especially the baked items. Marie took care of our every need, including fixing us coffee to go and pastries when we had to rush for the airport before breakfast.

We plan to make our stay at BWI an annual event.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank TravlinJackVA
Reviewed 25 September 2013

We had a very nice stay and a wonderful breakfast with exceptional homemade jams. Even as vegetarians, we had multiple options and great choices. We stayed in the part of the inn that is the lower floor and it was a bit noisy (the house is very old--quite charming but a bit creaky)--I would try the main house next time.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family