All reviews bill's room homemade bread eggs sausage and bacon wood stove federal style breakfast was amazing bed and breakfast wonderful experience nice bathroom romantic getaway amherst college my son marie jams uncle muffins
Reviewed 23 December 2013

I stayed at the Black Walnut Inn for four nights with six colleagues in December. It was so nice to stay somewhere other than a chain hotel for a change. The rooms were impeccably clean, and comfortable. The innkeeper, Marie, could not have been more accomodating. Not only was she was nice enough to honor the federal government rate for our group, but she provided additional tables to several members of our group so they could work in their rooms at night, shoveled snow until the late hours so that we wouldn't have any trouble getting our cars out the following morning, and started breakfast service 30 minutes early so that we could eat before getting on the road. About Marie's breakfasts, they were wonderful, and her baked goods even better. All the great reviews for Marie and her B&B are spot on. I hope I get an opportunity to stay with her again in the future. I highly recommend Black Walnut Inn for both business and pleasure.

Room Tip: All the rooms I saw were lovely. I stayed in the Carhart room, and really enjoyed it. Since the house is older, I imagine the rooms on the top levels are probably a little quieter.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank alittlepage
Reviewed 19 December 2013

My colleagues and I thoroughly enjoyed our week-long stay at the Black Walnut Inn. If you value peace, quiet, convenience, good food and service, this family-owned property is the place to stay. I booked "Uncle Bill's Room" and found it very clean and equipped with everything I needed to work, relax and sleep. The gas fireplace not only kept the room warm during the cold winter nights, but added character to the whole experience of staying in a historic home.

One of the great things about this place is breakfast. The innkeeper and her staff spoiled us all week with complementary, made-to-order breakfasts and fresh homemade pastries. All the ingredients came from local farms! The family and story behind this place are really interesting. I would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: See website for room choices.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank kimonadragon
Reviewed 25 November 2013

My wife and I and my elderly mother stayed here this past weekend for just one night (they'll accept single night reservations on non-busy weekends, and so we got lucky). Our short stay was simply outstanding. Both rooms were very attractive, very well decorated and extremely comfortable. My mother continues to rave about the quality of the bedding...she says her top sheet felt like it must have been made of silk (but we don't think it was), it was so smooth and comfortable. The weekend we stayed brought a November cold snap with a dusting of snow. Nonetheless, the inn and our rooms were warm and cozy. We didn't meet Marie and her son Dan until breakfast on Sunday morning. Lovely people and what a super breakfast. Everything home made, anything you could want available and everything we tasted was excellent. We wouldn't hesitate to stay here again.

Room Tip: We stayed in two of the four rooms in the main house. Don't know what the rooms in the adjoining buildings are like, but the room in the main house are outstanding.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 November 2013

We spent the weekend at the lovely Black Walnut Inn and it exceeded all of my expectations - the Mulberry Room was extraordinarily comfortable and, unlike a lot of B&Bs, this was a totally clean and clutter-free room (so often, a B&B is filled with small knick-knacks, doilies, and bric-a-brac, which I find aesthetically unappealing) -- a very comfortable bed, fast and free wifi, a big bathroom, a small table and two chairs (and yes, those are Lindt truffles waiting for you on the table...!), and the world's smallest closet (warning: if you're staying in Mulberry, limit your hanging garments!).

Extra points for an extraordinary breakfast (what I particularly loved is that you can get anything you want - eggs any style, pancakes -- including chocolate chip pancakes, french toast) which always begins with warm, homemade muffins. Add to it a friendly staff, a really great location (a few minutes drive to Amherst center, to Amherst College, and to UMass), and reasonable prices.

I will say: the website doesn't do justice to the place, and isn't the easiest to navigate (I had to email to find out, for example, what time check in was). And because the website isn't great, sometimes there can be minor communication glitches. I shifted my reservation forward one day, and received an email confirmation that this was fine, but then the day of my arrival I received a call indicating that I hadn't shown up for my reservation. As I was leaving, one of the young women who works there mentioned some website modernization, so hopefully that will make reservations easier, and offer guests all the basic info they need.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2013

We had 11 family members stay there recently to celebrate our niece's wedding. It was a great experience, we enjoyed visiting with the owners and they were very accommodating and their breakfast in the morning was great.

We had a one year baby and they were very helpful in allowing us access to the kitchen late at night and placing a small refrigerator in our room.

Look forward to staying there again, when our family gets together to celebrate another wedding.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family