“Lovely place, local hangout for my alma mater.” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Andover Inn

Andover Inn
Ranked #1 of 1 Andover B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Lovely place, local hangout for my alma mater.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2013

When I was a student at Phillips Academy Andover (PA), we thought the Andover Inn was the cat's meow -- for "elderly" people (that meant, people over 40!). It had a posh if slightly dated interior, but the food was good on the one occasion I ate there.

Having stayed at the Inn during a school event last spring, I found to my delight that it had been dramatically updated. My personal opinion is that they tried too hard to emulate the look of the "W" hotel chain -- the decor is too clean, and too modern, for such an elegant, classical-style building. I would have liked a warmer look & feel: not frou-frou, but not quite so stark.

Setting that aside, however, the staff are consistently pleasant, friendly and helpful. The place is immaculate; the beds are very comfy as is all the furniture. The lobby is nicely done.

The bar is an attractive, pleasant, hangout It attracts not just Academy staff, students, faculty and alumni, but also people who live in the town of Andover and its environs. The food is very good. I'm sure I'm in the minority in suggesting that the 'default' channel on the bar TV be something other than a sports channel, but since this is my review, I'll just say it: change the channel! (Hoping I'll have better results suggesting this to the bartender than I do when making a similar suggestions to my dear husband).

Room Tip: I really have no idea.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Espoo, Finland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 February 2013

Nicely located Andover Inn is the best choice when you want to stay in Andover MA. Nice rooms, friendly personnel, nice bar...what else could you need. Andover Inn is in walking distance from charming Andover center, where you will find nice cafe's and restaurants.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
NYC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 January 2013

I was very pleased with my experience. Gregory at the front desk was the epitome of graciousness when I requested two room changes. I had an excellent meal off the Light Menu at Samuel's, and the service was good. My room was updated in an upscale, attractve way and was very comfortable. The free Internet service worked well. If I have one comment, it is that the music was a tad too frenetic and loud in the bar area, where I and many others were eating dinner.

Room Tip: The first room I was given was a third floor double bed room (the only one in the inn) at the AARP r...
  • Stayed January 2013, travelled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Wilmington, Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 January 2013

I took my daughter and son there for brunch and arrived a few minutes after 12 noon (brunch is from 11-2). After arriving and given a seat by the concierge nobody came to give us water or bring a menu. After over 5 minutes I finally got the attention and flagged down one of the wait-staff and asked for a menu and he said it was just brunch.

It turned out that was our waiter and I must have upset him because we didn't see much of him for the next hour and 25 minutes we spent there (mostly waiting for water, utensils, coffee, the check and finally to get my credit card back).

So we went to get the brunch and they had a salad with rolls, potatoes, pasta, a watery chicken dish and some pastries for desert. I would rate the dish selection as abysmal. I’ve seen better selections at gas station convenience stores.

My daughter who is a vegetarian took a salad which was wilted but doesn’t like potatoes so she had a $15 salad since there was nothing else for her to eat (she doesn’t like deserts).

Good thing she didn’t try the potatoes as they were not edible. I have a pretty strong set of teeth but I couldn’t chew most of them which was probably good since they had no taste other than the buttery substance they were coated with.

Mercifully the chicken was edible but since the waiter rarely came over our water glasses remained empty most of the time and it was hard to wash down the food with just saliva.

When one of the wait-staff (not my waiter) picked up my plate he dropped my greasy fork onto my shirt and into my lap. Nothing enhances the ambiance of a nice brunch like having to take your clothes to the dry cleaner.

After that I went to go get a desert and saw that they put another vegetable dish out but after the ‘main’ course and memory of how bad the potatoes were I didn’t try the broccoli and carrot mix. It might have been excellent but I wasn’t going to risk it.

The deserts were ok but we had to eat them with our fingers since we couldn’t get the attention of a waiter to bring over forks after they cleared the table.

While I was enjoying the tasty mini carrot cake I overheard what must have been the manager tell our waiter that yes people can order off the lunch menu (based on a query from another patron). That really upset my daughter since I asked for the menu also and was told it was brunch only.

I won’t bore you with how long it took to get a cup of coffee, the check or how blasted long we waited after giving the waiter my credit card but suffice it to say we could have been in and out in under 30 minutes but it took almost a full hour more while we waited over and over for the most basic things.

Now some of you may think the place was packed and perhaps the waiters were busy… there weren’t more than 15 people in the brunch area in groups of 2-5 (4-5 tables filled). Based on my count there were a total of 3 wait staff there and 1 busboy (not counting the bar staff). They weren’t exactly overloaded.

Now I rarely say anything negative but Samuel’s brunch falls down in several areas.

1) Poor management - Not training the wait-staff that you have a menu is pretty bad.
2) Horrible service – to the point I contemplated walking out on several occasions.
3) Miniscule brunch selection.
4) Wilted salad, inedible potatoes and no other vegetables until we were done with our main course.

I am not sure how I could give a poorer rating as management and staff all performed well below par. My son has a stomach ache so maybe we will end up with food poisoning… that is about the only way it could get any worse.

For the price I expected a refined experience with good food and excellent service. I was sorely disappointed and for the $50+ I spent I could have taken my kids to the 99 twice and gotten better food and better service.

I will not be coming back to Samuel’s at the Andover Inn.

If someone from Samuel’s would like to apologize they can reach me at samuelsservice@gmail.com.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
3 Thank SamuelsAndover
WHGGuestService, Manager at Andover Inn, responded to this review, 17 January 2013
Thank you for visiting the Andover Inn during the Phillip’s Academy open house this past Saturday. Please accept my sincere apology for any inconvenience we may have caused you. We constantly strive to deliver superior food and beverage service and we missed the mark with the poor experience we provided you on that day.

My team and I are taking your comments very seriously and will revisit our lunch offerings during future events. This particular buffet was designed as an alternative to our regular lunch menu. It was only available on that particular Saturday with the intention to better allow us to handle the high volume of visitors and provide a value priced alternative to our regular fare.

I am truly embarrassed to read that you did not receive the a la carte option, since we have many fine menu items available, including vegetarian items your daughter would have thoroughly enjoyed.

I invite you to contact us directly by phone so that we may personally offer our apology and make this right with you. On behalf of the entire Andover Inn Team, I would like to thank you for your patronage and your valuable comments.

Stephan Amesoeder
978.775.4903
Central, NJ
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2012

The INN is a beautiful Historic Building that has all the modern conveniences needed to make your stay a pleasure. The beds are comfy, bathrooms are big and modern with wonderfully fluffy towels. The employees were warm and helpful. A great place to stay in Andover.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
cincinnati
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 September 2012

Really enjoyed my stay at the Andover. Newly updated room was super clean. Nothing like fresh, spotless grout. Free wi-fi was available. The hotel's "gym" is a bit lacking and they don't offer room service which is unfortunate. Location is great. Loved how peaceful it was and the close proximity to downtown Andover.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 September 2012 via mobile

While traveling from New York to Boston I needed a place to stay. I didn't want a normal hotel and wanted something with charm. I saw this hotel online and the reviews seemed ok, a little mixed, but for the most part decent. I went ahead and booked it.

The hotel was a little out of the way and not near freeways, so for our needs it wasn't in the perfect location; however, it was a cute little place and just newly updated. The location was beautiful and on the property of a school, so if I was needing to stay in Andover, it would have been perfect. I wanted to just explore the grounds as it was very nice.

The rooms were clean and updated. We got there late and left early, so didn't get to experience too much, but I would stay there again if needed.

• Stayed August 2012