“I have used this hotel many times when I come to town to...”

DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston - Andover
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Andover

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
WyndhamBostonAndover, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston - Andover, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank William B

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I have been sending in great reviews of this place, I have written letters to the owners telling them of the great staff and my great experiences. But forget everything I ever wrote about this place!!! They were taken over by Pyramid Hotel Group and now the place is awful. They replaced the wonderful staff with people who are rude, not too bright, and they have as much personality as a rock. In the lounge, where I have been going for years, they are now nickel and diming all the customers. On June 7th, one of the nights of my stay, I sat watching time after time, every time someone ordered a draft beer, they would fill this beer at least one inch from the top of the glass---and there was no foam. Each bartender, with each glass of draft beer, filled every single glass about 3/4th's of the way to the top. They were deliberately filling the glasses this way, and they were the type of beer glasses that are hard to gauge the exact amount of beer. But they were probably around 12 to 16 ounce glasses. So I asked for a 16 ounce glass of beer, in the type of 16 ounce glass we all know, is a 16 ounce glass of beer. OMG, you would have thought I was robbing the place! The bartender said, "No, we can't do that." Puzzled, I explained that the night before I had made the same request, and there was no problem. I then asked her why? She just said,"We can't" in this incredibly rude way. So I asked to see the bar manager. OMG, once again, you would have now thought this was some type of major corporate decision. He went off some where to ask someone something, and a good 10 minutes later he comes back.

Let me preface what happened next by saying he obviously wasn't the brightest bulb in the bin. When he returned, he asked me if I would drink some water before getting a 16 ounce beer because, "I don't know how much you have been drinking." Are you kidding me? I had just come from a graduation ceremony, was dressed in a suite and tie, and I hadn't had a thing to drink all day. I wasn't acting weird or anything, I simply wanted a 16 ounce glass of beer, in the same 16 ounce glass that I had the night before, and that I have been ordering for the last four years. And this "manager" or "supervisor" is asking a customer to first have a drink of water. Are you kidding me? JUST FOR A 16 OUNCE OF BEER? And this wasn't some kind of high alcohol beer, it was Newcastle Brown Ale, which has a 4.7% alcohol content, which is basically the same alcohol content as Bud.

I had similar experiences checking in, and just about every other interaction with the personnel at this hotel. I was staying there for a few days and when I spoke to other guests who had also been coming there for years, they had the same reaction: The place used to be great, and now it is just awful! And when I was sitting at the bar, the people around me couldn't believe how imbecilic the whole situation was. In fact, we were laughing amongst ourselves each time the bartender or manager came over with these absurd things. With the 4 or 5 people on my side of the bar, we unanimously agreed that the hotel was now the pits, and the bar in particular, was just awful. And there is NO WAY we are ever returning. The new management company hired these roboton, rude, people to replace the wonderful people who used to work there not too long ago.

So now my advice is, if you are visiting Andover, go to the Holiday Inn Express, Go to Marriott, go to the Andover Inn, go anywhere, but DON'T GO HERE! Maybe in a year or two this place will get their act together. But for now, avoid this place like the plague.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

We regret that your return visit was not reflective of your past stays at our hotel. We have gone back and re-read your older reviews and found that each time you stayed with us, you were fully impressed with the service, accommodations and dining options that you experienced. Now, reading this most recent review has us greatly concerned and we will be sure to pay attention to every situation that you have mentioned and look into ways to improve our guests’ experiences. We absolutely appreciate the time you’ve taken to alert us to instances within your stay that are important to you and we guarantee that these issues will be addressed promptly. It would be our hope to be able to continue to welcome you to our hotel and we thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
WyndhamBostonAndover, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston - Andover, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Reviewed 3 June 2014

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business

Reviewed 31 May 2014

While the hotel was very nice and we liked our room and the amenities of the hotel, the one draw back is that there is only one set of elevators. This is a huge property with long halls. So we had quite a distance to walk to our room from the elevators.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
WyndhamBostonAndover, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston - Andover, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2014

We do hope that during any future stays you will take a moment to mention to our staff your desire to have a shorter walk from the elevators; it would be their pleasure to work with you to make your stay even better. Thank you for letting us know how much you enjoyed your room at the Wyndham Boston Andover Hotel and we look forward to welcoming you back in the near future.

Reviewed 30 May 2014