DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston - Andover
Ranked #1 of 7 Hotels in Andover
Reviewed 12 June 2014

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
WyndhamBostonAndover, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston - Andover, responded to this reviewResponded 17 June 2014

There are newer reviews for DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston - Andover

A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 June 2014

Overall it is a nice place to stay. The suite we stayed in was roomy but definitely needed some updating on decor and cleaning of carpeting and upholstery.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts

It’s the details that can make all the difference in a person’s stay and it’s disappointing to learn when one of our guests leaves less than happy with some aspects of their stay. We sincerely regret any inconveniences you may have experienced and will have our Housekeeping staff look into any issues within your guestroom. Thank you for alerting us to your concerns. We hope to be able to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

This is my first review, and I had to write it. I had a horrendous stay. I have stayed at this hotel numerous times, but like other reviewers, I found the new management of this Wyndham to be terrible. I have to agree with the recent reviewers Chris G, Elvina S, Lois S, Glenn L, yesyourmama, and Crusing95. Do yourself a favor and read those reviews before setting foot on this property.

I have always enjoyed my stays here, but the changes in personnel are the opposite of what I have come to enjoy; they are rude, disorganized, and they have no sense of what they are doing, and their "customer service" attitude seems to be, "We don't really care." When I approached one of the managers with some complaints, his reply was, "You are free to file a survey and write a review." So that is what I am doing.

But what I found most interesting, was the recent review by Cruising95, and the "wonderful, glowing, great stay" review which was filed the same day by William B (probably by a "troll" who works for this hotel or the new owners). Now, when I read Cruising95, I had to agree. This used to be a nice place and now it is awful. And Crusing95 has made numerous reviews, some at this same hotel, and they were glowing. But as that reviewer noted, the hotel has new owners, and the place is a rip off and just awful, but especially the service and the management. And then the review by "William B", the one with no track record, was laughable, and obviously a puffed up response to counter Cruising95's. And the reference to "great management" and ""excellent service and very friendly...staff" is a joke. The "service" was impersonal and rude, the staff didn't have a clue what they were doing, and our reservations were screwed up and it took forever to straighten out. And as noted by one reviewer, if you like the smell of "wet dog" in your room, then go for it.

Now I have no track record, but I encourage all those who have recently stayed here, especially those with track records (no "trolls please) to share their response.

The manager invited this review, and now I urge you to share yours. But beware, shortly after this review is filed I would wager that there will be another "glowing review." that will pop up, an obvious troll, with no track record, giving "glowing," "wonderful" remarks about this hotel, that only now exist in Fantasyland.

Room Tip: If you want a nice view of the parking lot, stay here! But if you want a better view, go to a differ...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Without more specifics as to what made your stay at our hotel so disappointing, it is difficult for us to address any issues in particular within this forum. We invite you to reach out to us directly, where we can more efficiently handle your concerns. It is extremely disappointing to hear that we did not live up to your expectations, as this type of review is not at all common for our hotel. Your input and feedback are welcomed and we appreciate the time taken to share your experience with us.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank William B

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I have been sending in great reviews of this place, I have written letters to the owners telling them of the great staff and my great experiences. But forget everything I ever wrote about this place!!! They were taken over by Pyramid Hotel Group and now the place is awful. They replaced the wonderful staff with people who are rude, not too bright, and they have as much personality as a rock. In the lounge, where I have been going for years, they are now nickel and diming all the customers. On June 7th, one of the nights of my stay, I sat watching time after time, every time someone ordered a draft beer, they would fill this beer at least one inch from the top of the glass---and there was no foam. Each bartender, with each glass of draft beer, filled every single glass about 3/4th's of the way to the top. They were deliberately filling the glasses this way, and they were the type of beer glasses that are hard to gauge the exact amount of beer. But they were probably around 12 to 16 ounce glasses. So I asked for a 16 ounce glass of beer, in the type of 16 ounce glass we all know, is a 16 ounce glass of beer. OMG, you would have thought I was robbing the place! The bartender said, "No, we can't do that." Puzzled, I explained that the night before I had made the same request, and there was no problem. I then asked her why? She just said,"We can't" in this incredibly rude way. So I asked to see the bar manager. OMG, once again, you would have now thought this was some type of major corporate decision. He went off some where to ask someone something, and a good 10 minutes later he comes back.

Let me preface what happened next by saying he obviously wasn't the brightest bulb in the bin. When he returned, he asked me if I would drink some water before getting a 16 ounce beer because, "I don't know how much you have been drinking." Are you kidding me? I had just come from a graduation ceremony, was dressed in a suite and tie, and I hadn't had a thing to drink all day. I wasn't acting weird or anything, I simply wanted a 16 ounce glass of beer, in the same 16 ounce glass that I had the night before, and that I have been ordering for the last four years. And this "manager" or "supervisor" is asking a customer to first have a drink of water. Are you kidding me? JUST FOR A 16 OUNCE OF BEER? And this wasn't some kind of high alcohol beer, it was Newcastle Brown Ale, which has a 4.7% alcohol content, which is basically the same alcohol content as Bud.

I had similar experiences checking in, and just about every other interaction with the personnel at this hotel. I was staying there for a few days and when I spoke to other guests who had also been coming there for years, they had the same reaction: The place used to be great, and now it is just awful! And when I was sitting at the bar, the people around me couldn't believe how imbecilic the whole situation was. In fact, we were laughing amongst ourselves each time the bartender or manager came over with these absurd things. With the 4 or 5 people on my side of the bar, we unanimously agreed that the hotel was now the pits, and the bar in particular, was just awful. And there is NO WAY we are ever returning. The new management company hired these roboton, rude, people to replace the wonderful people who used to work there not too long ago.

So now my advice is, if you are visiting Andover, go to the Holiday Inn Express, Go to Marriott, go to the Andover Inn, go anywhere, but DON'T GO HERE! Maybe in a year or two this place will get their act together. But for now, avoid this place like the plague.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

We regret that your return visit was not reflective of your past stays at our hotel. We have gone back and re-read your older reviews and found that each time you stayed with us, you were fully impressed with the service, accommodations and dining options that you experienced. Now, reading this most recent review has us greatly concerned and we will be sure to pay attention to every situation that you have mentioned and look into ways to improve our guests’ experiences. We absolutely appreciate the time you’ve taken to alert us to instances within your stay that are important to you and we guarantee that these issues will be addressed promptly. It would be our hope to be able to continue to welcome you to our hotel and we thank you for your feedback.

Reviewed 5 June 2014

Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Wyndham Hotel and Resorts
WyndhamBostonAndover, General Manager at DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston - Andover, responded to this reviewResponded 9 June 2014

Also consider these accommodations in or near Andover
Sonesta ES Suites Andover
Homewood Suites by Hilton Boston/Andover
Courtyard Boston Andover
SpringHill Suites Boston Andover
La Quinta Inn & Suites Andover
Hampton Inn Haverhill
Hampton Inn Haverhill
#1 of 2 in Haverhill

Been to DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel Boston - Andover? Share your experiences!