“Taking a Chance”

Ranked #3 of 7 Hotels in Andover
Manchester, New Hampshire
“Taking a Chance”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

We stayed at this hotel for one night and actually got 2 one bedroom suites. I asked for an early check-in as a Hilton Honors member. They said yes. When we got there, the rooms were not ready and they put us in another room. I went to check the rooms before bringing luggage in and one of the rooms had not been cleaned by housekeeping. I had to go back down to the reception desk and it took them forever to get another room to put us in. She apologized, but complained that there was no manager there and she was having a bad day?!? Sorry, but not professional to share with someone coming to your hotel. The rooms were nice and clean, roomy. Our room had a problem with the ac, but we did not complain. We tried to put the living-room area on ac and it kept turning to warm and ended up getting close to 80 degrees. The bedroom was fine and we had to open the door to the bedroom to cool off the living-room and shut the curtains. It was nice to have the little kitchen area, but one of the burners was broken. Still able to cook us up a spaghetti dinner. Very, very disappointed the pool was closed. We were very looking forward to that and it would have been nice if they would have notified us that it was not open for maintenance before booking. My son was looking forward to it. It was interesting to notice a group of people barbecuing and jumping the fence to use the pool. We did complain to the desk there were people in the pool and they hadn't even noticed! They had to call the police to get the guests out. The bed was comfortable, but the fitted sheet had sticky stuff on it and I couldn't use it. Breakfast was a big disappointment. They were out of everything and had someone working to restock who was very slow and complaining the whole time. When asking him to restock the items, he seemed agitated and complained. We could hear him go out back and talk to another lady and argue and complain back and forth about the breakfast and how housekeeping didn't do their job and someone called in. Very unprofessional and not appropriate. It has great potential, but rude employees and problems with pool being open and air conditioner were annoying at least. When you pay good money to stay somewhere, you expect to get the service you pay for. You will be taking a chance if you stay here.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Kellie P, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Boston/Andover, responded to this review, 18 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We are sorry about all the unpleasant things you experienced during your stay. Rest assured we have spoken to all departments in regards to your check-in, pool being closed and Breakfastt. Our pool was closed due to the fact that it had not been inspected by the State of Massachusetts. We apologize for this, however, we felt it was in our guests best interest to keep it closed till it was cleared by the State. We hope to have another opportunity to show you the quality hotel experience you have come to expect from our brand, should you return to our area in the future!

Take care.

Kellie Pabst

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
NJ
Reviewed 22 June 2013 via mobile

Please, please do not book this hotel if you have kids. The pool is not available to use.

Not the typical question one asks when booking a room as you expect it to be operational. Still being charged the full amount though.

Only informed of this problem at 9am this morning and it is now 2pm. The front desk said they would contact the manager and see if we could use the pool of one of the other Hilton chains. Now they tell me the manager is on holiday and nothing they can do.

I asked since they spoke to me this morning have they put a notice on the website informing potential customers. No because that is far to sensible. My 4 year old is really disappointed as she had been really looking forward to this weekend away. Thanks for nothing Hilton.

• Stayed June 2013
2 Thank HGill02
Kellie P, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Boston/Andover, responded to this review, 5 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We are sorry about the inconvience we casued with the pool being closed during your stay. It had not been inspected by the State and we felt it was in our guests best interest to keep it closed until we knew it was safe to open our pool. Rest assured it has been inspected and is now open for the summer! We know our guests deserve the best when staying with us and we regret that this was not your impression. We hope to have another opportunity to show you the quality hotel experience you have come to expect from our brand, should you return to our area in the future.

Florida
Reviewed 17 June 2013

My reservation for two nights in a non-smoking room was confirmed by my organization two days before my trip. When I got to the hotel, the desk clerk told me that my reservation had been canceled (?) and there were no non-smoking rooms available. She then said my room would be changed to a non-smoking room for the second night. I reluctantly agreed to the arrangement. The room wreaked of smoke. I opened all the windows and turned on the bathroom exhaust fan to no avail. The next morning, when I went back to the room after breakfast, the room was being cleaned. I informed the maids that I was moving to a different room and to wait until I had moved to clean that room. I called the desk to ask to which room I would be moved. She informed me that there were no non-smoking rooms available, that there was a large party coming in that would be taking all the non-smoking rooms. I refused to accept that. I asked to speak to the manager but she said she would call me back. When she did, she said she was sorry but there was nothing she could do. I told her to make me a reservation at a different hotel and send them the money that had been paid for my room. She then found me a non-smoking room that was available immediately. It was 10:00 in the morning which leads me to believe that the room had been available all along and I had been told lies. I was extremely disappointed in the poor treatment, and am amazed that smoking is allowed in hotel rooms at all these days.
Wife of Craigor

Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank Craigor
Homer B, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Boston/Andover, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Mrs. Craigor,

Thank you for the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I apologize for that we were unable to accomodate the type of room you reserved. Although we strive to accommodate our guests with exact reservations, at times we do not have the same availability due to guests extending their stays with us. Once again, I apologize for the inconvenience and do hope that the next time you travel to the area you will consider staying with us again so we may show you the quality of service and accommodation you expect and deserve from us.

Homer Borromeo
Lima, Peru
Reviewed 12 June 2013

I was extremely satisfied with this hotel and represents very very good value for your money. I would definitely stay here again and will recommend it to my friends. Tha staff was were very warm and efficient. Excellent surroundings.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Kellie P, Director of Sales at Homewood Suites by Hilton Boston/Andover, responded to this review, 18 June 2013
Thank you for sharing your experience with us! We take pride in our service and love to hear from our guests! Come back and see us soon!

Andover, United States
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Poor, Room smelled and figured out why as the A?C was pooling water on the carpet. This was never fixed and the floor was soaked. This must have been going on for a long time because the smell came from it being allowed to dry. Noise from upper rooms was VERY Loud. Asked receptionist for a week stay and she only booked me for one day at a rate that was super high.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business

1 Thank John H
John,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience with us. We are very sorry about the unpleasant smell that disrupted your stay. Rest assured our Housekeeping team is working to freshen the room for future guests. We know our guests deserve the best in comfort and cleanliness, and we regret this was not your impression. We hope to have another opportunity to show you the quality Hotel experience you have come to expect from our Brand should you return to our area in the future, Again, we sincerely apologize.

Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 6 June 2013

Stayed here for app. 2 months in connection with a business trip in the US. Hotel is nice,clean and with good breakfast/dinner. Staff professional and very friendly/helpful.
Rooms are nice as well, but refrigerator a bit annoying as it is extremely loud and goes on all the time - in spite of being almost empty and on lovest level. Hotel should consider replacing the units to new low-energy fridges, which will be less noisy as well!
Keycards not always working properly - sometimes you have to try 4-5 times before the door opens. All in all however a nice place to recommend!

• Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for reviewing us on TripAdvisor! We are happy you enjoyed your stay and were able to take advantage of some of the amentities that we offer. However, I do apologize for the refrigerator noise and have taken your suggestion to our Manager. We hope to see you again!

Arlington, United States
Reviewed 3 June 2013

We stayed at this hotel as part of a wedding. The front desk staff were very nice (they even called our room because we forgot to pick up the wedding gift bag when we checked in), the hotel was clean, and the room was very spacious.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Homewood Suites by Hilton

Thank you for taking the time to rate us on TripAdvisor Laura! We love comments from our guests and are happy you enjoyed your stay!