“I stayed at Apartment (Not hotel)”
Review of Hotel Anja

Hotel Anja
Ranked #42 of 68 Skopje B&B and Inns
Singapore
“I stayed at Apartment (Not hotel)”
Reviewed 19 April 2012

There must be cheaper accommodations in Skopje, but I am happy that I spent 30 euros for a night here.
As I was not aware that breakfast was included, it was a super nice surprising to have had a breakfast there without paying.

On my arrival, I was served a cup of drink and a bakery while waiting for my room :-)

Location-wise, I like both.
Anja Hotel - Behind Holiday Inn
Anja Apartment - Closer to city center
( 2 places are close to each other, though )

There are bunch of bars, restaurants between Holiday Inn and Anja Hotel. It must be very active at night.
There are zillions of shops near apartment, which is convenient to shop all day.
There is wifi at Anja Hotel, but I could not find any signal at apartment. Said that I was using someone's when staying at apartment !

The apartment is maintained very well and looks pretty new. Hair dryer is also equipped. There are doubly doors, which makes me feel secure.
( There is not a fridge in the room )

As of April 2012, taxi costs 20 euros from airport to Skopje City center, but if you ask Anja Hotel a pick up, it is 15 euros.
( I did not know it, so please someone try and confirm ! ) Alternatively, take a public bus from the airport which started around March 2012. Holiday Inn will be the closest stop for Anja hotel.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank mamacita1001

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
  • Hungarian first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Bergen, Norway
Reviewed 28 March 2012

For the price: The room was nice, the food good, the location perfect and the service excellent. The friendly staff showed genuine interest in the guest and gave and excellent friendly service. I was very glad to have choosen this place to stay!

• Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank Jarle B
Cleveland, Ohio
Reviewed 16 March 2012

I was looking for a reasonably priced option in the center of Skopje. This is it! As others have stated this is a guesthouse above a restaurant on a pedestrian street along the river. The rooms overlooking the street had a nice view. Although currently construction mars the view a bit.

My room was spacious with a nice size flat panel television with multiple channels. There was a nice desk, a fridge, and a large closet. I was a bit disappointed that the window didn't seem to open.

The cons are that there was a sewage smell emanating from the bathroom for the whole stay. I tried to cover the drain to see if this was the problem, but it didn't seem to help. Closing the door kept it from the room, but entrance to the bathroom was shocking when you did.

Also the free, internet wi-fi signal didn't seem to quite reach the room. Although at night it seemed to work at least occasionally. It seemed that the free internet, which was shared by the restaurant would have received very heavy use in the daytime.

Overall, a very good value for the center of town.

Room Tip: Good view from the rooms in front.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank gopackjo
Northampton, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 March 2012

The Anja is really well placed on a pedestrian-only street by the river and close to Macedonia Square. Rooms (or our room, at least) are compact and it helps if you're a contortionist in the bathroom, but it was reasonably clean and warm. It would have been difficult to find but we arranged for the hotel to have someone meet us at the airport so we were whisked to the centre, greeted and escorted to the room.
The attached restaurant is good with a great breakfast and plenty of choice for the evenings (lovely pizza!) and the people are extremely friendly and welcoming - in fact, some of the nicest staff we've ever encountered.
It's not luxurious. It's not overly spacious. but it's friendly, great value and a brilliant base for exploring a city.

Room Tip: Room 1 has a difficult bathroom.
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Mike S
Huntsville, Texas
Reviewed 10 February 2012

I stayed one night in January and paid 39€ which included a welcome drink, small en-suite room with double bed, and simple breakfast. The hotel consists of seven rooms in a relatively sequestered and quiet wing of a major downtown shopping and restaraunt center--a great location for tourists. Note that you must check in and out at the restaurant (same name); a staff person then will escort you to your room. I will return the next time I visit Skopje.

Room Tip: If you are traveling as a twosome (or more), you should request a more spacious room.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank DavidMcTier
Provincetown, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 4 January 2012

Once again I am asking myself why did I come back to this place, since I always get a horrible service. This time was the last, they have definitely seen the last of me. Not only did we have a very awkward conversation with the waiter, who was the only waiter on the floor, but he gave us attitude every single time he passed by.

When we got the bill, we got overcharged for 3/4 of the things we ordered: he just assumed we ordered the more expensive ice tea, the big portions of food, and they just assumed the price of the additions. Also, the special offers do not apply apparently, so we got charged full price for the pizza that was supposed to be cheaper on Sundays.

The service in this restaurant is the worst I have experienced in the world, I was treated really badly and I will not go there again. They do not take care of their customers the way they should, and probably the staff has some issues between themselves, since they looked understaffed and frustrated, occasionally fighting among themselves on the floor. Not a pleasant site.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marius N

Travellers are raving about these Skopje hotels

Novi Beograd, null, Serbia
Reviewed 23 December 2011

Due to the nature of my business trip, i needed a hotel in city the centre,and in my experience, city centre hotels are either overpriced for diecent service, or they suck. This is definatelly not the case with hotel anja. My room was spacious, confortable and very well kept. Cable tv and internet connection worked perfectly, there is no reception, you actualy check in the restaurant on ground floor, but staff is so helpfull that you dont feel lack of service. Meals were fantastic, and i can wouche for pizza anytime. I was supposed to move for a night to a different hotel and i almost cried right there in the restaurant, so the good people of anja actualy managed to keep my room for me. Fantastic experience, and def. my choice if you are staying on budget in Skopje. Love You Layla <3

• Stayed December 2011, travelled on business