“THE POSH place in Skopje? That is it!”
Review of Vodenica Mulino

Vodenica Mulino
Ranked #12 of 272 Restaurants in Skopje
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Bucharest, Romania
“THE POSH place in Skopje? That is it!”
Reviewed 19 January 2014

Been there several times over some 2 years and even had a course organised there.

If you want an exquisite lunch, dinner, business meeting, you name it, that is the place in Skopje.

It obviously comes for a price tag, but it worth every penny. Food choice is very wide and of very good quality, drinks variety excellent and service ... just matches the place.

Owner quietly hovers around for keeping things under control and that is obvious. Things just work there!

It is the place where 'high society" shows off and where high political figures (and probably mob) are bringing their guests.

I happen to be there on one of such occasions and outside there were dozens of Police cars - a high international political personality was there.

One would have said that Skopje Police is very wealthy and just came for their regular lunch break. But no, poor guys, were just guarding outside ...

Conference facilities and related catering is just fine and all we needed, was enough to ask, it was there.

Owner himself came on several occasions to ask if anything needed, or to simply check if things go as they should.

All in all, an expensive place, but it does pay off.

• Visited February 2013

• Greek first
  • Serbian first
  • Turkish first
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent food - recommend the fish”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

Very good local - although apparently Italian style - restaurant in Skopje. They have a lot of fresh to choose from and I had it cooked nicely with potatoes. For a starter we had a mix of local specialties and drank Macedonian wine.

• Visited November 2013
Sarajevo, Bosnia and Herzegovina
“Very enjoyable restaurant”
Reviewed 21 November 2013

We came to this restaurant for a late lunch so not many of the tables were occupied. Waiters were efficient and polite. Lights inside are somewhat dimmed so atmosphere is not so formal. During warmer months there is also a garden which I believe is also a very pleasant to sit in. Over last 5-6 years this is probably third or fourth time I am visiting this restaurant and it seems to me their service is even better than before (and I never had complaints). Food was also very good. Typical starter is mixture of Macedonian salads (fresh one, with tomatoes, cucumbers, onions), ajvar and pindjur (roasted, peeled and grinded peppers and egg-plants cooked afterwards), cheese and ham, olives. Wherever you go, Macedonian hosts will normally order this entry. And it was delicious. For a main course I took pork medallions which were excellent. We simply took some grapes for dessert, both white and red. Local grapes they served was great, even the season was already gone. And we had Macedonian wine, which for sure is a very good one. I believe that the prices here are above average for Skopje and it requires a taxi (or probably a bus) ride to get here from a city center. So far I was never disappointed.

• Visited November 2013
“Satisfactory Service”
Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

I enjoy the evening with my friends here.
Food is good enough, and for the price (even though more expencive the average) was quite satisfactory. Was here 11 years or so ago, and nothing much changed. They get a praise on consistency od level of service.
Maybe to add the moment when the waiter actualy places the napkin, imstead of doing it yourself would benefit the restaurant.
If u choose to dine here, might not be a bad idea to specify if u choose to have the courses in a sertain order.
Overall, very satisfactory, and I would recomend.

New Delhi, India
“Class above others”
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Vodenica Mulino was recommended to us by our hotel manager as being the best but also the most expensive restaurant in Skopje. Since we had a busy day we were not sure until the evening of Friday whether we had enough time to enjoy an " expensive" dinner. But Friday being our penultimate day at Skopje we decided at 7PM to give Mulino a try. The hotel receptionist confirmed a table for us. The restaurant setting is indeed very high class, with red exposed brick interiors and plantation on the ceiling. We were offered a cozy table in one corner of the restaurant and as we settled down, it took us little time to realise that we were amidst some serious company. Though the restaurant itself does not recommend dress code, people had turned up in smart casuals to formats; and that itself, I thought, was the first main distinction that Mulino had with other restaurants we tried at Mulino. The serving staff were outstanding in their explanation of food and wine. I was offered to taste the wine before making my selection, which is always helpful. The menu is high class and innovative. We tried the Regina salad (ruccola, cabbage and apple), Shrimp in almond sauce (highly recommended-very innovative use of almonds) followed by a grilled sea bass and "risotto with fruits of the sea". For dessert, as recommended by our hotel manager, we went for pancake based dessert laced in fruits and cream (a house speciality we were told). Unhesitatingly I would say that the chef did a brilliant job and that this restaurant experience, in terms of quality and innovation, surpassed all others we tried while at Skopje.

One observation on service - we thought the service could have been better spaced out. While we were still at the starters, grilled fish was served and while we were at the grilled fish, risotto was served.

As lots of TA contributors have commented on the size of the portions and price, I would like to share our experience and thoughts. We found the portions more that adequate. In fact, much as we wished, we could not polish off the risotto. The prices, specially by Skopje standard, are indeed on the higher side, but given the overall gourmet and the evening experience, the prices are entirely justified. For our rather lavish indulgence at dinner, we paid approx 55 Euros

Unless you are on a serious budget constraint, I will strongly recommend Mulino for a dinner experience at Skopje.

• Visited October 2013