“It was OK.”
Review of Continental

Continental
Ranked #53 of 71 Hotels in Skopje
Reviewed 25 October 2013

I went to Skopje on business last week with unclear expectations. It's a little way out of town, but close to the university where I was working. The room was very basic and - in truth - falling apart a bit. I ended up washing/brushing teeth over the bath, as the pedestal basin leaked at the bottom over the bathroom floor. 'No smoking' seems an alien concept in Macedonia - I had a guy sitting the the corridor, outside my room, smoking using a conveniently placed ashtray. The windows were single glazed, and my room faced onto the motorway - so very noisy at night (earplugs recommended). Only one 5-person lift was working - which was a hassle as I was on the 6th floor. So that's the bad stuff. On the other hand the staff were delightful, helpful and everyone made the effort to speak in English to me (my Macedonian is non-existent); and the food was OK too. It did the job OK.

Room Tip: I don't know if it's possible to avoid overlooking the motorway. If so, you might sleep bett...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank David P
There are newer reviews for Continental

Reviewed 8 October 2013

When I entered the hotel room, I heard the opposite door neighbor screaming. I could not understand what is was. But, when I went to bed, I could hear strange noise behind the door. Initially I thought someone is trying to open the door by mistaking the room number. But then I realised that the noise is coming from the bathroom. When I opened the bathroom door, I saw a mouse which was trying to get through the door....In fact, the mouse seems to have been used to meeting hotel guests since it was confidently sitting on the toilet sit staring at me while I was nervously brushing my teeth... At the reception I was told that what I am saying is just impossible! ...

The food was terrible. The bathroom also was dirty. I stayed in this hotel for 4 nights and could not sleep thinking that the mouse can come anytime...

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 October 2013

Well... it does the job... The room was comfy and clean, however way too exepnsive considering the general "aura" of the hotel, its location, food served etc.
It must have been an impressive hotel back in the time it was built, however it needs updating, as it is mearly a 2 star hotel, really...
Breakfast was very poor taking into considertion that the stay cost so much (one night cost nearly as much as minimum monthly wage in Macedonia!).
Not an ideal hotel for a weekend stay in Skojpe, as it is not central at all.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 September 2013

Frankly I was quite afraid after reading Tripadvisor reviews about this hotel. I was in this hotel in the past (like two years ago), but I don't remember it as terrible as others described.
We arrived late in the evening (11pm) and the receptionist was very kind. After entering my room, I was pleasently surprised (see photos below). It was a very nice room, newly refurbished - 4star rating beeing fair.
Me and my colleague went to the bar downstairs and were the only guests. Nothing special, we had a beer and went to sleep.
Breakfast was adequate - again nothing special, but enough different food for a decent breakfast. I guess if I stayed several nights, I would miss broader choice. Waiter at the breakfast was kind and helpful.
Anyway - if you stay in renovated rooms, I guess you can't be dissapointed. The only major disadvantage might be its location, as it is not so near to the old city center - if that is what you are looking for.

Room Tip: I saw floors 3 and 5 and they are both renovated. There might be other renovated floors, I don't...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 13 September 2013

Some staff helpful, but one or two frankly surly. The room stank of sewage, sockets were hanging off the wall, the walls were filthy, no telephone, three TV channels (rolling news and sport only). This was NOT a four star hotel in any way! Miserable.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 18 June 2013

Stayed there one night with a tour group almost all of us tried to change rooms and found out that they are all bad.. Very bad experience, poor maintenance. poor air condition. The staff at the hotel is limited and had trouble in taking care of a big group which we were.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank Michaelbr
Reviewed 4 June 2013

To say this hotel is past its best is an understatement!

Rarely have I stayed at a hotel which was worse than this.

Rooms are dreadful, service poor, food average and location on a dual carriageway hardly a selling point.

The Macedonian authorities should look into this place, especially the claim that it is 4 stars, it certainly isn't and it doesn't do the Macedonian tourist industry a great deal of good if visitors cannot rely on the official ratings!

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business