“Never stay here!”

Ranked #54 of 70 Hotels in Skopje
London, United Kingdom
“Never stay here!”
Reviewed 12 October 2010

I am actually writing this as im staying in the hotel, first thing i did was unpack my laptop and come on here to advise people never to stay! no lights in the corridors i had to find my room in the dark, walked in to the room and it looks like a scene from the film borat thats all i can descibe it as. the carpets are black they have stains all over them and need a good hoovering! there is foot prints on the walls from a previous guest, the bed sheets have holes in them and stains, the window was left open as i came into the room, because it dosnt shut properly. There is brown stains in the bath (i dont even want to think about what they are!!!) and the fridge works, but has green mold inside it! Lovely!! NEVER STAY!!!

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank apennington

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Varna, Bulgaria
Reviewed 10 October 2010

The time there has stopped. I saw thing I have never seen in my live even in the worst places i have been. the room was so old that inside were furnicher older than me. I found a bisquit behind my bed. No internet, no fridge, no hairdrier, no TV, the window could not be open entirerly, neighter closed. There were ants in athe bathroom. Old blankets with stains on them, very very old towels with holes on them. Problem with the hot water, durty floor, the conditioner did not worked......

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank So_Mo_Varna

Travellers are raving about these Skopje hotels

Porto, Portugal
Reviewed 7 October 2010

Problems with the lift.2 days without acess 2 floor

• Stayed September 2010, travelled as a couple
Launceston, Australia
Reviewed 22 August 2010

Anyone who has had a positive experience here is a fortunate person. Our two week stay has been horrible!
Where do I start? Here with a youth sports team (females 15-16 years old) for a large international tournament. I arrived one day early and given the information I had read and heard about the hotel, asked to see all the rooms for our group. We were on the 8th floor, which I knew was bad news to begin. After checking all rooms I found that 8 of 10 had at least one problem in the bathroom, some with shower, toilet and sink! Also the beds were very old, many with springs poking out.
In my room the toilet would not flush, cold tap in the bathroom would not work and the tap for the hot water in the shower came off. After speaking with front desk I was told someone would come and look at it. They sent a 'porter' up to take a look, not a person with any technical ability. He was as helpful as possible (one of the few at this place), but could not fix it and told me he would go down and talk to them. One hour later no contact, so I go back to the desk and they ask me how things went, pretending that the guy had not been back. Got nowhere on the first day despite 2-3 hours of trying. The manager left for the day without speaking to me, knowing there was a problem.
Next morning before the team arrived I try again, this time the manager comes to have a look at the rooms (after I gave them a written list of all the problems). After a couple of rooms she made the classic comment "You expect too much". Of course I politely let her know that it is not too much to ask for toilets and showers that work.....
So she moved us down one floor to rooms 701-710. These were better, with newer beds and less plumbing problems, They still had to send someone to put new shower heads on in many rooms (this guy was great, very helpful....probably should run the place!).
We had further plumbing problems as the tournament went along, some toilets would not stop running (was told they are very old!), in another bathroom the roof started leaking and it took several hours to get any help and the problem fixed.
As some people wrote in earlier reviews, the upper floors have not been renovated. 7 has not been fully, but at least the beds were ok. Not sure to what level they have renovated, but nothing had been done to our 10 rooms on level 8.
On 7 we had some internet, but not to all rooms, the further from the stairs/lift the worse it got).
Then there is the food. Half our team had health problems, and talking with other teams most had at least a couple of people get sick. The health department turned up with about 4 days to go and closed the kitchen, so all food had to be brought in from outside. Either way the food was bad, often cold. Perhaps it is better for people ordering off a menu, or not in such big groups, but for us it was shameful.
The cleaning staff have no idea of privacy either. Two times they walked into my room without knocking. From this point I kept my Do Not Disturb sign on at all times, yet three times while I was away from the room they came in and replaced towels.
Location is not the best, fair walk to anything interesting, but at least taxis are cheap. There is a great vegetarian restaurant (Harmonija) not too far away (20 minute walk), see my review in the Skopje section.
There is no excuse for the problems, the hotel had been booked for the 16 teams (around 16 people for each country!) at least 6-8 weeks before we arrived.
Should be renamed to 'Hotel Incontinent'.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank OzCoupleBandB
london
Reviewed 27 July 2010

hardened travellers of eastern europe will find this quite palatable and comfortable, if not really a business hotel cant really imagine working in the rooms for example , a clean and comfortable place to sleep if nothing else

staff were ok and helpful with various things

have to agree in large does with the review of 'rpignat' lower down the page, i couldnt put his descriptions better myself so i recommend his review wholeheartedly especially the soviet style bar areas with big pimp daddy leather sofas, lovely to sink into them quaff a cognac and take yourself on an imaginative time journey of the mind

on the other hand if your travel usually takes you to continentals prefaced by the word 'inter' you will be horrified im sure

PS
as usual for this part of the world totally disregard the number of stars the hotel claims or at least divide by 3 or 4

• Stayed July 2010, travelled on business
Channel Islands
Reviewed 18 May 2010

I had this misfortune of staying at this hotel for 3 nights recently. The hotel was probably nice at one time with some nice features, but there has been no investement for a long, long, long time and it really should be pulled down now. The first room I was offered was terrible - I only got offered a better room once I agreed to stay the full 3 nights and to be honest, by a better room I mean this one didn't have holes in the sheets (but it did have big holes in the curtains), and did have a broken toilet, broken shower, a bath with no enamel it was so old and constant noise from the motorway as the windows are useless. That's about as good as it gets. What made this all more unbearable was the attitude of the staff at reception - they couldn't care less. When I made a simple request for an Iron to iron a shirt, I was told it was impossible as I ran the risk of burning the hotel down.....hmmmm, let's not even go there! The food in the restaurant was pretty good and only one lady in the restaurant was friendly - that's It!!. Breakfast was terrible.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
Dubrovnik, Croatia
Reviewed 10 January 2010

I took my clients to this hotel and realy embarassed myself. The rooms were noisy, very dirty, have not been refurbished in decades for sure. I found dirty socks behind the a/c and a ton of dirt. Avoid this place, since Macedonia is such a paradize, so you dont wanna spoil the exprience with such a rip off hotel.

ps the service is not that good either.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business