“OK - but not more than that”
Review of Karpos

Karpos
Ranked #36 of 69 Hotels in Skopje
South Pole
“OK - but not more than that”
Reviewed 17 December 2010

Right, so this is the only hotel I've stayed in in Macedonia in recent years so I have nothing to compare it with. But my initial reaction was - this ain't what I was expecting based on the other Tripadvisor reviews. Yes, the room is spacious, but it's also very dated. It's clean, OK, but it also hasn't been refurbished since, say, the early 1990s. It's all a bit tired-looking. The breakfast is OK, but again, nothing special, and there isn't exactly a wide selection of options. I haven't tried dinner so I can't comment on that - but the reason I haven't tried it is the restaurant doesn't exactly look inviting in the evenings. Front desk staff is nice, sure, but not particularly great (they don't have basic things like, say, a city map and it's exactly that kind of detail that you want). So all in all, it's fine, but I'm probably trying somewhere else next time. It just doesn't hack it, especially considering the price of the rooms.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled on business
2 Thank traveling-light88

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
  • Turkish first
Wales
Reviewed 19 August 2010

I stayed here for one night (not through choice) and I was very impressed with the hotel.It's a clean modern hotel and the rooms were the best that I had come across in the region.Very roomy and excellent bathroom.I had breakfast and dinner here and again I had no complaints whatsoever the breakfast in particular was very good.
I suppose the slight downside is that it is outside the main part of the town (the old quarter,cafe area etc).It took about 20 minutes to walk (very safe even at night) or a short taxi ride.Since taxis are cheap in Skopje this wasn't a particular hardship.Skopje has a very nice centre and is well worth a visit for a few days.I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.I know that there are hotels closer to the centre but you could do far worse than this hotel.All in all a very good experience and as one of your other contributors has commented I am surprised that it isn't higher up the list for Skopje.Quite possibly the reason for this is that I gather that the hotel has not been open that long (3 years I believe) and since Skopje isn't exactly on the tourist route the hotels don't get that many reviews

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank wynaber
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed 28 May 2008

Hotel Karpos is a good hotel, reasonably central and has very spacious, comfortable rooms.

The rooms are clean, have decent bathrooms (with both bath and shower), plenty of seating and desk space, comfortable beds and, importantly, WiFi throughout the hotel (€8/day, but well worth it, and proper broadband too).

The restaurant is nice, if quiet, with a nice terrace outside. Food is good, and you're close (15 minute walk) to the central eating/drinking area in Skopje, which runs between the Holiday Inn and the Stone Bridge.

All in all, a good hotel by general standards, and a very good hotel in comparison to the others Skopje has to offer. Worth much more than its current ranking on Trip Advisor.

• Liked — Spacious rooms, and WiFi everywhere
  • Disliked — WiFi could be free!
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank krayZpaving
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 14 April 2006

I must share this: I tried to find a room where I could feel relaxed after a cousy and stressed working day, and I`ve looking around in every Skopje hotel. But non of the rooms fit my luggage from the States, no place for my personnal guests, no in-room kitchen facilities....and finally, a colleague of mine, explained me that a recently opened hotel is offering all this facilities. Went there to check it out-the next thing I know, I was moved over there and ended up for 3 months.
Thanks God, someone realized that a different and more comfortable hotel is required in Skopje!

• Stayed January 2006, travelled on business