“excellent food and large servings” 4 of 5 bubbles

Cuisines: Asian, Chinese, Taiwanese
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Wilmington, Massachusetts
“excellent food and large servings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 April 2014

My wife and I visited Szechuans Dumpling on a Friday evening with no reservations. We were seated immediately at about 7:15 PM. The cocktail list is limited so keep that in mind. We had a Kendal Jackson Chardonay ($8 glass), and a Bonterra Merlot (also $8 glass). We decided to start with a bowl of Miso Soup which our waitress suggested we share. Share is an understatement. The Miso Soup ($6.25) easily could have fed 6 people with some to spare. I had 3 servings and my wife 2 and we still had plenty for take home. The soup was not too salty and had lots of large chunks of Tofu. The soup was quite satisfying. Next we ordered Fried Shrimp Vegetable Dumplings ($7.50) and steamed pork Mini Dumplings ($6.95_. We found the "fried" dumplings were a bit more tasty and were NOT deep fat fried...they appeared to be slightly browned in a pan. Both dumplings came with a healthy number of individual dumplings. In fact, you could easily make a meal for 2 out of 2 or 3 types of dumplings and a bowl of Miso Soup....keep that in mind if you want to keep the price low. Both my wife and I loved the dumplings. Next up came our "entrees". My wife ordered Shrimp with Broccoli ($13.95) which came with a healthy amount of bright green broccoli but only a fair amount of shrimp. Both my wife and I loved it as well but we wished there were a more of balance of broccoli and shrimp. Being a person who likes spicy food, I ordered the House Special of the evening which also happens to be on the menu normally, Szechan Fish Fillet ($14.95). It came in a large bowl and was easily more than even my healthy appetite could handle. It had lot of fairly large pieces of white fish (probably tilapia). The fish flavor was definitely overwhelmed by the large volume of spicy sauce containing bok choy and other vegetables. It contained a large volume of dried red chili peppers. Note: when I cook with dried red chili peppers, I use whole peppers but remove the seeds and after cooking remove the peppers before serving. The dish had both the roughly chopped peppers and the seeds. It was spicy even for me. Although the fish was overwhelmed by the sauce, the dish was delicious, but I think I might skip it for something a little less spicy next time. We ordered some Taiwanese noodles with chicken, aka Chicken lo mein ($7.25) which again easily fed 4 people. Bottom line... don't over order which is what we did. We ordered easily enough food for 4 - 5 people! We also enjoyed a second helping the next night! The total including $16 in wine was $72.85. We felt the service was excellent on ordering, but they were a bit quick to deliver the food and make sure it was what you ordered. The food was delivered by a server who came from "out of no where" and delivered the food, with an announcement of what it was and was on his/her way before you could even figure out if that was what you ordered. Fortunately, there were no mistakes. My wife and I said we would return but keep our order to a bowl of miso (or other) soup, a few fried dumpling items and an order of noodles of some kind. We would also skip the wine. We would probably get out for about $30- $35. We came on a Friday evening after lunch hour and found parking on Massachusetts Ave (well north of Arlington Center) to be adequate.

• Visited April 2014
    • 3 of 5 bubbles

Boston, Massachusetts
“A gem in Arlington!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2014 via mobile

A small, very clean restaurant with friendly service. Free 2-hour parking on the street. The restaurant was not crowded on my visit, but many people were coming in to pick up take out orders. As others have said here, the pork mini juicy dumplings are excellent. Eight in an order, and as good as any I've had in Boston's Chinatown. Lots of choices on the extensive menu. Try the panfried noodles. They also have a long list of inexpensive lunch specials. This is a place I will go out of my way for.

Visited March 2014
1 Thank Bob T
Mssachusetts
“soup dumplings!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 March 2014

I've been on the search for soup dumplings (on the menu hear as mini-juicy dumplings) since I moved to Boston from NY 7 and a half years ago. I found them once in Chinatown but they did not live up to my NY memories. Who knew I had to go to Arlington Heights? We have gotten takeout once and eaten in the restaurant once. The dumplings (all the varieties we have tried, not just the soup dumplings) are fantastic as is everything else. I can't believe it took me this long!

• Visited March 2014
Concord, Massachusetts
“Best dumplings around”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 February 2014

Szechuan's Dumpling may not look like much, but the food is probably more addictive than blue meth. I've never tasted anything as delicious as the crispy, chewy, dribbly Juicy Pork Dumpling. The service is fast and no-nonsense, but warm. We've had the same waiter five times now, and I don't think I'll ever tire of watching him clear an entire table of dishes, including the leftovers to take home, in one trip. Szechuan's Dumpling, it's the crown jewel of Arlington.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank PoppyLH
Middleton, Massachusetts
“Outstanding Authentic Chinese Food”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2014

This was our first visit and we were not disappointed. The food was authentic Chinese Family Style cuisine. All dishes were well prepared and tasty! The staff was friendly and friendly. Everything was fresh and prepared to order. This is a hidden gem!

• Visited December 2013