“Good to be back”
Review of Auburn Town Pizza

Auburn Town Pizza
Ranked #17 of 50 Restaurants in Auburn
Reviewed 30 March 2014

I haven’t been to Auburn Town Pizza in many, many years. Not since they expanded and redid the whole place. My companion and I were in the mood for an “armpit” pizza (onion only), so while we were out running errands and shopping near Drury Square, we thought we’d pop in for lunch. As soon as we entered through the rear parking lot entrance, we were immediately struck by the pungent aroma of what was to be a portion of our lunch.

I was surprised at how large the restaurant now is and even though it was the noon hour and they were doing a bustling take-out and dine-in business, there was plenty of seating available in both dining rooms (divided for some unknown odd reason).

The service process hasn’t changed: You make your selection(s) from a large board behind the counter (they have really expanded the menu options), pay for it, find yourself a table and wait for them to call the number on your ticket to pick up your order at the same counter. After grabbing a couple of Polar sodas ($1.50 each) from one of the coolers near the ordering area, the two of us put in our order for a small onion pizza ($7.25) and a small Italian grinder ($4.45) to share. We waited about 20 minutes for our food.

We were not disappointed with our pizza which was really hot and rife with onions, or our grinder, which was perfectly toasted, as we requested, though we did think that Town Pizza’s prices, especially for the small one-topping pizza, were a little higher than other area pizza joints of the same caliber. I don’t exactly know how long ago the establishment underwent its transformation, but it seems they are still passing on the cost to their customers.

We’ll definitely be back when we are in the area again because of the quality of the food. We look forward to sampling some of the other interesting things from their large menu.

Reviewed 17 November 2013

I grew up in Auburn and have been a customer of Town Pizza since the shop opened in 1964. I visit Auburn from northern New England 4 or 5 times a year and always stop in and buy a couple of pizzas.
Last night I called in an order for 2 pizzas. When I picked up the pizzas I was waited on by the owner, who I paid with a credit card and then returned to my relative's home for dinner. While in the middle of eating, I received a phone call from the store. The person told me that I had left the store without paying for my pizzas.
I had kept the receipt, which I referenced. We figured out that although the pickup number was the one I'd been given over the phone, I had been charged for someone else's order. My order totaled about $3.00 more than the one for which I had paid. The person I was talking with spoke with the owner and then told me that she would have to call me back. When she did, she said that the owner was willing to send someone to my location to pick up the money that I owed. I need to say that I felt, and still feel very badly for the poor worker who the owner had made call me. This was his mess and he should have dealt with it. I told her that I wasn't going to do anything about this at the time and that I would stop at the store the next day. I still cannot believe that he was going through all this for about 3 bucks.
It turns out that the owner thought that the person made to call me, had allowed me to walk out of the store without having paid for my take-out order. As he had taken my money himself, you'd think that he might remember the customer who had purchased a bacon, onion, and garlic pizza. I rather doubt that he had waited on anyone else who had ordered that particular combination. Rather than own up to his own mistake, he hid behind someone else and continued to harass me.
When he realized that he was responsible for a $3.00 shortage, he should have let his employees see him pull the cash out of his wallet and throw it in the register. It would have scored huge points with his staff by showing that he was willing to own up to his mistake and would also resolve a problem that he had created.
I did stop at the store today, had them issue a credit for the incorrect charge, and then I paid for my actual order. The owner was not there, but I asked the manager to make sure he heard about my visit. I will never again buy anything from Town Pizza and will retell this story as often as possible. I promise that I will not be bashful about this.
I have managed 5 star hotels and restaurants and would NEVER have allowed anyone to contact a guest. The business is called the hospitality industry, but I will guess that the owner of Town Pizza does not truly understand the concept of being hospitable. When I managed hotels I comped rooms worth at least 10 times the amount of this check, for much smaller screw-ups. I cannot fathom ever treating a guest the way I had been treated
The staff at the store was great and I do not hold them responsible in any way.

1  Thank PumpsyGreen

Been to Auburn Town Pizza? Share your experiences!