“Very Mixed Review”

99 Restaurants
Ranked #6 of 50 Restaurants in Auburn
Cuisines: Pub
Reviewed 3 February 2014

The reason why this is so mixed is the difference between the service and the food. I would give the service an A+. On my trip, I would give the food a D. There was a 25-30 minute wait so we had a drink in the bar area. Service was good and drinks were good. When we sat down, our waitress couldn't have been more pleasant. I ordered the Prime Rib and she warned me all they had was medium and well left. I order the Medium, my wife ordered a steak. The other couple had chicken. The meals came and my wife's steak was under cooked, my beef was well done and dry. We sent them back. The steak came back and then they told me they had no more medium prime rib. I ordered a steak. It finally came after everyone had just about finished dinner. The potatoes were cold inside the "fritter thing", the wrong vegetable came with my wife's steak and overall, the steaks were not that good. I didn't mention that to the waitress. They already had the manager apologize for the prime rib. They did send us hoe with a few free desserts. I have eaten in 99's before and guess if you stick to the chicken, turkey tips or salads (easy things to prepare) it will be fine. It was funny when we sat down, the hostess told us this was the "best" 99 there is. Not on this night it wasn't!!!

1  Thank jwildman68
There are newer reviews for 99 Restaurants

Reviewed 17 August 2013

We were in Auburn as a 1/2 way stop to Bar Harbor. 99 seemed like a "safe" choice. On a Saturday night in August, the wait was just 5 minutes. Menu is reminiscent of an Applebee's or similar chain.

I got a "fit for you" chicken fiesta salad. They were very mindful of my special requests (no celery, no dressing because of my pepper allergy) but the salad would have been SO much tastier with a dressing (I settled for oil & vinegar). The fresh pineapple was a nice touch.

My husband got the french dip burger. He declared it "unremarkable". My son was the only one who rated his food a 5 out of 5. He got the hot buttered lobster roll, and he loved it.

The best thing I can say is that we won the server lottery with Mary. She was great! Super pleasant, efficient and obviously takes pride in her job.

99 wasn't bad...it was just "ok". Not a place I would seek out if I came this way again, but it was a good option for a quick safe meal on the way to our vacation destination.

1  Thank Mouseturtle
Reviewed 2 August 2013

We stopped here on our way back from Niagara Falls and had a very enjoyable meal. Our server (Mary) was one of the most knowledgeable, experienced, and pleasant servers we have met. She recited all the daily food and drink specials without referring to any notes and had the answers to any question we asked. Our meals were excellent, as was the service. We will definetly stop here again if we are in the area and will recommend our friends do the same. Make sure you ask to sit in Mary's section and you will not be disappointed.

1  Thank NBTravellers_12
Reviewed 17 July 2013

We went to this restaurant twice. After the first experience, my wife said let's give them another chance. Each time we went, there was a considerable wait time. Finally we get seated. It is very cramped inside the dining area. It's like they just want to shove as many people in at the cost of letting it feel cozy or roomy. The drinks and appetizers take too long to come out and there is nothing special about their food. Eventually we get dinner and it is average at best. This is not the 99 I am used to from years ago. I bet there are others that are great but I will be passing on this one. I would rather get take out at the clam bar.

1  Thank beachridr
Reviewed 14 March 2013

The 99 is the perfect place for a consistent and enjoyable meal. The food is far better than those big chains and is always served hot and on time. There is something for everyone on their large menu and all are priced moderately. The best thing about the 99 is the service! From the greater who opens the door for you to the bartenders and wait staff, you will find all to be friendly and helpful. This is a very reliable place to have a good time.

Been to 99 Restaurants? Share your experiences!