“Gorgeous setting, true old Nantucket....”
Review of 27 Fair Street Inn

27 Fair Street Inn
Ranked #34 of 38 Nantucket B&B and Inns
“Gorgeous setting, true old Nantucket....”
Reviewed 18 August 2013

The Summer House is a great place to go if you truly want to get away from it all and experience Nantucket without the hustle and bustle, trendy of some of the downtown area hotels. The setting is gorgeous by the beach with a pool. The rooms are very nice, set in cottages covered in rose trellises. The pool and beach are great. Keep in mind for many, cell service won't happen. Verizon is non-existent out there, but there is wireless at the main building, and they let you use the phone there at no cost. There are a few things that could be improved upon however. The food at the Beachside Bistro is AWFUL--very fishy bad lobster and bland salads that are $$$$. You are better off going into town at the Sconset stores to get lunch and bring it to the beach. The cushions on the furniture inside the Inn really need to be recovered (dirty), and unless the main woman is at the front desk, nothing gets done or can be dealt with. This location isn't for everyone---you are a good 20 minute shuttle into town and there are no shops. However, if you want to get away from it all, it's paradise in the old New England style. And DON'T miss dinner in the garden at the nearby Chanticleer--TO DIE FOR!!!

Room Tip: Ask for a room that is not near the restaurant or a street. It can be a little loud at night otherwi...
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cmq62
SummerHouseMgmt, Manager at 27 Fair Street Inn, responded to this review, 15 October 2013
Thank you for your honest feedback! We appreciate hearing both the good and the bad from our guests because it allows us to improve the experience for future visitors. We are disappointed to hear that the food was not up to par. We pride ourselves on serving the finest quality cuisine, and we can assure you that the dining experience will be much improved next time around. Please contact me at manager@thesummerhouse.com when you plan your next stay - I will see to it that the experience exceeds your expectations!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed 8 August 2013

Went in for a drink in the afternoon.
The place is disgusting. I could not believe the amount of filth. Threadbare and dirty furniture. Interior "decorating" from 1970 is worn to say the least. The toilet in the very gross bathroom is propped up from holes in floor with shims of wood.
Staff unfriendly.
A truly revolting experience.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
8 Thank extofr
SummerHouseMgmt, Manager at 27 Fair Street Inn, responded to this review, 13 August 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that you did not have an enjoyable Summer House experience. We aim to provide our guests with the best quality service, and we will be sure to confront our staff to ensure that our guests are treated in this manner. We take your feedback very seriously - we will work hard to address the issues you brought to our attention. We hope you'll give us another chance to show you a much improved experience. Please contact us at manager@thesummerhouse.com so we can see to it that your next experience meets your expectations!

Travellers are raving about these Nantucket hotels

Nantucket, Mass
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Late last summer my wife & I went to the Summer House Restaurant in 'Sconset for a leisurely lunch. As it was we couldn't wait to get out of there. The outdoor seating area was filthy, moldy and tables not cleared unless someone actually wanted to sit there. I expect to pay a lot for Lobster salad, particularly in Sconset, on Nantucket. This Lobster Salad was far from the best, perhaps what you'd expect from an inexpensive chain restaurant. We use to enjoy the Summer House....Not anymore.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank reith20
Thank you for your feedback. I am sorry that your Summer House experience was not up to par. That you found the outdoor seating area unclean is inexcusable. I am equally as disappointed to hear that the service you received did not meet your expectations. I take your feedback seriously and will do everything in my power to ensure that these issues are addressed as soon as possible. We hope you'll consider visiting us again. Before you return, email me at manager@thesummerhouse.com so that I can see to it that your next experience is much improved.
Macungie, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 3 August 2013

We didn't actually stay here but visited for drinks since we were exploring Siasconset and the appealing beach atmosphere. However, upon entrance we were seated at a dirty table and even though the rest of the dining area was empty we we're not allowed a beach view table since we were only having drinks (we had just eaten brunch in Nantucket). Ok, fine. Our waiter didn't have a sense of urgency in taking our order, but was friendly when he finally did. We were seated next to what appeared to be the owner/manager and his company who had her feet up on the table staring down customers as they entered. We witnessed an altercation with another customer and the owner/manager who sadly, didn't handle the disgruntled woman with grace. He argued back at her and then later made derogatory remarks and profanities within earshot of other customers. If we had any intention of coming back for a future visit, that notion was quickly dispelled. While this is beautiful property, it was not very welcoming so I would seek other options if I were to return.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank 5STARz
We are sorry that you did not have a true Summer House experience! We pride ourselves on providing our guests with impeccable service, and we are incredibly disappointed that the staff did not treat you and other guests kindly and attentively. You can be sure that we will address this issue immediately. We hope you will consider giving us another try. We can assure you that your next visit will exceed your expectations!
Greenwich, Connecticut
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Thank goodness my wife has a great sense of humor. A romantic weekend getaway turned into a disaster. Restaurant was filthy. Soiled seat cushions, unswept floors etc. Had to ask the staff to clean our area of dead bugs while I distracted my wife with a mid meal walk in the garden. Efforts to squeeze in too many tables left the restaurant so over crowded a set of Ken & Barbie dolls couldn't fit in to the first two tables they offred us. A loud and off key piano player made it difficult to enjoy a conversation.The food was ok but not remotely comparable to better alternatives on the isalnd. Our "suite" was on par with an easterm european youth hostle... complete with mildew, dust and aged linens. Apparently open mike night is a part of the ambiance they'd like to provide because the bar's piano man led drunken sing alongs well past 1:00am. The big close to it all; when it came time to get on with a new day and wash away the memories of a bad night, the shower handle fell off the wall in my hand. Save your money and your relationship and go elsewhere.

Room Tip: Try a room at another hotel.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Finn505
I am sorry that your stay at the Summer House was not enjoyable. I am shocked and appalled to hear that you encountered unclean seat cushions and dead bugs in the restaurant, and I'm equally disappointed to hear that your suite was not up to par. You can be sure that I will address these issues immediately. I deeply apologize that your visit to the Summer House did not meet your expectations. I hope you will consider coming back for a much improved experience. Before you arrive, please email me at manager@thesummerhouse.com so that I can personally introduce myself and host you during your visit.
Stamford, Connecticut
Reviewed 15 July 2013

The room and main areas were dirty and shabby. Shuttles to Beach ran infrequently and there was no information provided by the hotel as to other island travel options. Staff came and went as they pleased. When staff was available, they were beyond rude and unhelpful. What a joke to spend over $500 a night here! This place would be lovely if only there was some proper management!

Room Tip: Go somewhere else! Check the reviews before booking!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank A A
SummerHouseMgmt, Manager at 27 Fair Street Inn, responded to this review, 24 July 2013
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback. We are very sorry that you were unsatisfied with your stay. We train our staff to provide the highest quality service, and we are very disappointed to hear that they were not helpful and attentive. Your room should have been spotless. We apologize that you found your room to be dirty - this is inexcusable. We can assure you that this is not a common occurrence. Please contact us at reservations@thesummerhouse.com and we'll see to it that the quality of your next visit exceeds your expectations!
danvers,ma
Reviewed 5 July 2013

After being warned by numerous natives, the Summer Horror House proved to be just that. I went into this smoke and mirror shamble with the idea of panning the summer gold. As a waiter who has seen it all, in years past, I once again witnessed the con job of no management and inappropriate tip handling maneuvers.
Waiters are required to add 20 per cent to the check of parties of 6 or more, with the requirement of telling the guest the tip has already been added. Based upon a pool system, the manager gets compensated and waiters or servers (in training) are "graciously" given part of it.
Since I wasn't given a specific number with my name attached, the response to my demand for tips owed was people who are training don't get tipped. They allowed me to work 4 shifts and refuse to grant those tips that some of you already paid. A scam that I am attacking civilly.
Very surprised to see how prominent the owner is concerning the U.S. court system.
I will be seeing you soon, Danielle..............................................................................................
Mutny