“My #1 favorite New England vacation destination”
Review of 27 Fair Street Inn

27 Fair Street Inn
Ranked #34 of 38 Nantucket B&B and Inns
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Having stayed at the Gardenia cottage at 27 Fair Street numerous times, I cannot recommend this enough. It is the perfect rose covered cottage tucked in the back of the main Inn. The cottage has a very comfortable and quiet bedroom, as well as a day bed and two chairs in the living area. The day bed can easily accomodate an adult or child, it is full of comfortable pillows to take a quick nap on as well, or read a book. Homemade muffins, juices, fresh fruit and coffee greets every guest for breakfast. The staff is always friendly, very gracious and quick to bring out to the breakfast bar anything that needs replenishing. I love the fact that it is a two minute walk to the historic downtown area and Main Street, and a wonderful mix of beautiful, creative and interesting shops and restaurants. The oldest historical building that is operating as a restaurant is next door, Figs. Also owned and operated by The Summer House, this has been always a wonderful dining experience with a very high dose of unique charm and character. The Gardenia Cottage at Fair Street is my favorite New England Spring/Summer and Fall getaway. It is a beautiful, very charming and comfortable home away from home to relax and explore all of what Nantucket has to offer. I can not wait to return to the Gardenia Cottage at 27 Fair Street!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 16 March 2014

I've been going to Nantucket for nearly twenty years. Each time I find myself on the "Grey Lady" somehow it feels more like home, than home does.

And when I'm lucky enough to be on island my favorite little rose covered cottage that's not out in Sconset is located at The Summer House Inn on Fair Street. Gardenia is a special place.

It is separate from the main inn and is very private. With rose vines draping over the roof it's the perfect romantic hideaway.

Inside you find a cute little living room with a sleigh-day bed that's perfect for lounging. The vaulted ceilings give the room an open airy feel. We loved to canoodle and nap here. The gentle breezes that fan you are all part of the ambience that makes this place hard to forget and a go-to-choice when its available.

The cute little master bedroom has a full sized bed and ample closet space. The bathroom is fairly modest. But it has great makeup mirror and custom towels for the girls to get ready. The shower works great too. Lots of hot water and pressure.

Gardenia has to be one of the best values on island for a cottage so close to town. It's not for you five-star hounds! This place is an authentic Nantucket experience. LOVE IT!

Room Tip: You can also ride to Sconset on the Jitney service at no charge and use the Summer House pool too. S...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chuckie3-ACK
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Last fall, I had the good fortune of booking a room at 27 Fair street - an easy walk from all that's happening on and off the cobblestones of Nantucket town. Our cozy room was off the street, on the back edge of the garden. The bed was comfy, the reading lights bright, and in the small kitchen we fixed a cup of sleepy time tea. A path through the rather whimsical garden led to the main house where the aroma of freshly brewed coffee welcomed the early riser. Breakfast was delicious and included fabulous variety - juice, fresh fruits, yogurt, eggs, bacon, and an array of baked items. The staff was welcoming and helpful. I'd give it a thumbs up, for sure!

Room Tip: I loved the easy access to the garden! I don't remember the name of our room, but I think it wa...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Diana E
Reviewed 14 March 2014

This miserable winter of 2014 has me yearning for another visit to Nantucket, and the Summer House @ 27 Fair Street. Once there I feel cocooned from the outside world. If you did nothing else but look around at the old historic building you might enjoy all the beautiful nooks and crannies it has to show. The dining area alone yields itself for quiet talk with great company as you enjoy the continental breakfast provided by the hotel. They somehow knew I am not a morning person and there was coffee, muffins ,eggs , and juice waiting for me long after the crowd was gone.......nice.....
I've lost count of how many years in a row I've been going to Fair street, and have stayed in various rooms and have been overjoyed at the comfort ,beauty, and charm each room provides. Each room has its own bath, and yes, some of them are small, but when you consider the space the owners had to work with I think they pulled it off, without compromising the history and design of the room. I feel as though I have stepped back into another era! Isn't that why we come here? Yes, indeed!!
I have never had any problems with staff members for any reason. As a matter of fact some of them even remember my name from year to year!! And I am welcomed back with big smiles! How's that for customer service?
Fair Street is also just a short walk down the street to the famous cobblestones. What a special treat to sit on the Main Street park benches and watch the world go by. Everything at your feet...shops ,restaurants ,ferries ,and even church service.
Hungry? Just next door.....Figs restaurant.....a no brainer for a night "at home".......
Ok, 27 Fair Street, I have talked myself into another visit......here I come!!

Room Tip: I urge you to go online and view each property and each room. The photos of each room are VERY accur...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 February 2014

I have been going to the Fair St Inn for a number of years, with my daughter, with friends, with my husband…. it varies depending on the occasion. And over the years I have been accommodated in different rooms upstairs, downstairs, in the garden, in each the mattresses and bedding have been wonderfully comfortable and beautifully maintained. The bathrooms are small but contain all the necessities and some lovely extra amenities - robes, toiletries, hair dryers, etc.. I love that the owners have decided to honor the character and atmosphere that is Nantucket. The staff is warm and attentive - there when you need them but never in the way.
Fair St. is truly an old house but it is remarkable and lovely for that very reason……. Looking forward to the Wine Festival in May.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 September 2013

The bed in one of the 2 bedrooms had a mattress that folded in half like a sandwich on top of my daughter, effectively covering her up. When her sister got in with her, they rolled to the center and couldn't get back to their sides, the mattress was so old and worn out. The room was really tight with the 'master' bed next to the kitchen. It's an old property that has not been updated but on the plus side, the grounds are charming, the breakfast is nice and the coffee is excellent. Also, Todd English's restaurant was outstanding.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank lala6
SummerHouseMgmt, Manager at 27 Fair Street Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 October 2013

We are glad to hear that you found the Summer House to be a charming place. We think so too! We appreciate your willingness to share your feedback - both the good and the not so good - because it helps us improve the experience for future guests. Please contact me at manager@thesummerhouse.com so I can see to it that you are more comfortable during your next stay.

Reviewed 10 September 2013

Don't go. The "One bedroom suite" my husband and I were given at Fair St. was a moldy decayed
basement room. Our front door opened to the back of the restaurant "Figs". Our view or " patio" included the trash, lights, industrial fan for Figs and also served as party headquarters to the staff
of the restaurant at 2AM. When we tried to switch rooms we were told by management "No. You bot your room from Jetsetter aka Trip-advisor" . Save your money and go anywhere else in Nantucket.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Nancy J

Thank you for your feedback. We are sorry that your stay did not meet your expectations. We pride ourselves on accommodating our customers and providing attentive customer service, and I am disappointed to hear that this was not the type of service you received. You can be sure that we take your review very seriously. We hope you'll consider staying with us again - please email me at manager@thesummerhouse.com so that I can see it to that your next experience is much improved.