“excellent food, the best we found in a week in nantucket”
Review of 27 Fair Street Inn

27 Fair Street Inn
Ranked #34 of 38 Nantucket B&B and Inns
Reviewed 27 June 2014

We are pretty fussy, and this was the best we found by far, having tried loads of recommended places like Straight Wharf and The Galley- this had the best food, and the friendliest service by far. Lovely place , lit by candlelight, and near the centre. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank teech99

Reviewed 23 May 2014

Last weekend I found myself in Nantucket for my 3rd. Wine Festival Weekend. I came up with a group of friends, all of whom stayed at the Summer House Fair Street. I was lucky enough to land in the upsatirs room named "Thyme" a large one bedroom, with a sitting area. The entire Fair Street experence is lovely. The Inn itself is so quintessential Nantucket, the Garden sitting area, perfect for our morning continental breakfast, included in the rate, reading my NY Times, also provided by the very friendly staff. I might mention that if your not renting or bringing a car, this location is exceptional because you can walk to Main Street. I would recommend The Summer House to everyone who wants the true Nantucket experence, good value, great location, and very comfortable accomodations, with or withour the family.
Secret mention: If you rent here, you can use the beautiful Pool at the Summer House in Siasconset, keep it to yourself!!

Room Tip: upper floors are my fav.
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank mrbinkster
Reviewed 10 April 2014

Spring means Nantucket, Daffodils and 27 Fair Street B and B. Good vibes flow during my walk from the ferry past quintessentially Nantucket gardens and homes. I have stayed in many of the guestrooms. Each has been special, comfortable and quiet. "Rosemary" on the second floor fronting Fair Street is just as it appears on the website, and the mattress is super comfortable . The breakfast is delicious and nutritious and pleasingly presented. The guest house is located close to downtown for shopping and restaurants but also near biking/walking trails for all levels of fitness. Walking shoes and comfortable attire will enhance your experience. St. Paul's Episcopal Church on Fair Street has Tiffany windows and the doors are usually open. Go inside. The brighter the day the more memorable the experience of the many stained-glass windows . On the other side of downtown is the Whaling Museum which is also very worthwhile . Between 27 Fair Street and The Whaling Museum is The Scrimshander Gallery at 38 Centre St.; Centre Street is one of the main shopping streets. Each year, I purchase a polymer dated Christmas ornament there as a keepsake for a wonderful Nantucket island adventure.

Room Tip: Look at the excellent website. Decide if you prefer first or second floor
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 April 2014

Having stayed at the Gardenia cottage at 27 Fair Street numerous times, I cannot recommend this enough. It is the perfect rose covered cottage tucked in the back of the main Inn. The cottage has a very comfortable and quiet bedroom, as well as a day bed and two chairs in the living area. The day bed can easily accomodate an adult or child, it is full of comfortable pillows to take a quick nap on as well, or read a book. Homemade muffins, juices, fresh fruit and coffee greets every guest for breakfast. The staff is always friendly, very gracious and quick to bring out to the breakfast bar anything that needs replenishing. I love the fact that it is a two minute walk to the historic downtown area and Main Street, and a wonderful mix of beautiful, creative and interesting shops and restaurants. The oldest historical building that is operating as a restaurant is next door, Figs. Also owned and operated by The Summer House, this has been always a wonderful dining experience with a very high dose of unique charm and character. The Gardenia Cottage at Fair Street is my favorite New England Spring/Summer and Fall getaway. It is a beautiful, very charming and comfortable home away from home to relax and explore all of what Nantucket has to offer. I can not wait to return to the Gardenia Cottage at 27 Fair Street!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 March 2014

I've been going to Nantucket for nearly twenty years. Each time I find myself on the "Grey Lady" somehow it feels more like home, than home does.

And when I'm lucky enough to be on island my favorite little rose covered cottage that's not out in Sconset is located at The Summer House Inn on Fair Street. Gardenia is a special place.

It is separate from the main inn and is very private. With rose vines draping over the roof it's the perfect romantic hideaway.

Inside you find a cute little living room with a sleigh-day bed that's perfect for lounging. The vaulted ceilings give the room an open airy feel. We loved to canoodle and nap here. The gentle breezes that fan you are all part of the ambience that makes this place hard to forget and a go-to-choice when its available.

The cute little master bedroom has a full sized bed and ample closet space. The bathroom is fairly modest. But it has great makeup mirror and custom towels for the girls to get ready. The shower works great too. Lots of hot water and pressure.

Gardenia has to be one of the best values on island for a cottage so close to town. It's not for you five-star hounds! This place is an authentic Nantucket experience. LOVE IT!

Room Tip: You can also ride to Sconset on the Jitney service at no charge and use the Summer House pool too. S...
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Chuckie3-ACK
Reviewed 15 March 2014

Last fall, I had the good fortune of booking a room at 27 Fair street - an easy walk from all that's happening on and off the cobblestones of Nantucket town. Our cozy room was off the street, on the back edge of the garden. The bed was comfy, the reading lights bright, and in the small kitchen we fixed a cup of sleepy time tea. A path through the rather whimsical garden led to the main house where the aroma of freshly brewed coffee welcomed the early riser. Breakfast was delicious and included fabulous variety - juice, fresh fruits, yogurt, eggs, bacon, and an array of baked items. The staff was welcoming and helpful. I'd give it a thumbs up, for sure!

Room Tip: I loved the easy access to the garden! I don't remember the name of our room, but I think it wa...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Diana E
Reviewed 14 March 2014

This miserable winter of 2014 has me yearning for another visit to Nantucket, and the Summer House @ 27 Fair Street. Once there I feel cocooned from the outside world. If you did nothing else but look around at the old historic building you might enjoy all the beautiful nooks and crannies it has to show. The dining area alone yields itself for quiet talk with great company as you enjoy the continental breakfast provided by the hotel. They somehow knew I am not a morning person and there was coffee, muffins ,eggs , and juice waiting for me long after the crowd was gone.......nice.....
I've lost count of how many years in a row I've been going to Fair street, and have stayed in various rooms and have been overjoyed at the comfort ,beauty, and charm each room provides. Each room has its own bath, and yes, some of them are small, but when you consider the space the owners had to work with I think they pulled it off, without compromising the history and design of the room. I feel as though I have stepped back into another era! Isn't that why we come here? Yes, indeed!!
I have never had any problems with staff members for any reason. As a matter of fact some of them even remember my name from year to year!! And I am welcomed back with big smiles! How's that for customer service?
Fair Street is also just a short walk down the street to the famous cobblestones. What a special treat to sit on the Main Street park benches and watch the world go by. Everything at your feet...shops ,restaurants ,ferries ,and even church service.
Hungry? Just next door.....Figs restaurant.....a no brainer for a night "at home".......
Ok, 27 Fair Street, I have talked myself into another visit......here I come!!

Room Tip: I urge you to go online and view each property and each room. The photos of each room are VERY accur...
  • Stayed: October 2013, travelled with friends