“Best Nantucket Inn”

The Carlisle House Inn
Ranked #12 of 38 Nantucket B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 March 2008

My husband and I recently enjoyed the best inn on Nantucket. Close to the ferry and everything in town was within walking distance. Wonderful, romantic ambiance -- including a wood-burning fireplace and canopy bed. The new owner is so helpful with dining recommendations and things to see. You must stay here!

Stayed: February 2008

Reviewed 11 February 2008

Just returned from a long weekend stay at this lovely historic in-town bed and breakfast on Nantucket. The welcome by its new, Nantucket-savvy innkeeper was warm and my room (with working fireplace) was lovely, including a nice modern bathroom. Homebaked muffins, scones and breads were a treat for breakfast. The inn is within a short walking distance of the center of town as well as to the beach and the ferry. There are numerous restaurants also within walking distance of the Carlisle House, with the innkeeper happy to make suggestions and/or reservations. While I usually don't stay at B&Bs in my travels, this one really made me reconsider!

• Stayed: February 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 10 February 2008

A couple of my college friends and I stayed at the Carlisle House for a "girls weekend" in February and loved it. The rooms were charming and the location was great. The inn is located walking distance to town so we could get around without needing a car. It gave us great flexability to follow whatever we wanted to do in town and not have to rely on someone not wanting to stay in town as long etc. Our hostess, Heather Sheldon who recently became the proud owner of the Carlisle House was very warm and made us feel very welcome. She made every effort to make sure that we had everything we needed and helped us with recommendations on sights to see and where to have dinner. There were freshly baked breads or coffee cakes for the continental breakfast and one morning we had scones for breakfast which were delicious. It is a good thing we could walk off some of the goodies that we had to eat since it was hard to resist anything that Heather made. I particularly loved the scones. Even though we were on Nantucket in February, the inn was cozy and comfortable. Based on our great experience we are making plans to return in October with our husbands. I highly recommend this B & B for the quintessential NewEngland inn experience.

Reviewed 1 November 2007

Throw out that #1 on a scale to #5 rating! Someone not used to what a laid back visit to a great inn and island is all about. Janice is just
a doll, the Conways are great, and the room we had was perfect island charm and comfort with a wonderful working fireplace.

It is a stone's throw from town, but of the beaten path enough to be quiet and peaceful. This was our second anniversary and will be an annual tradition. Thanks to Janice and the Conways for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed: October 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank BoonsFarm
Reviewed 14 April 2007

Our stay at the Carlisle House Inn left TOO much to be desired. What a disappointment. When we got to the Inn there was no one to greet us, no signs of welcome, and no interest!

After a number of calls, we finally found someone to give us a key only to be told there would be no breakfast in the morning. Not only was there no breakfast, there was no coffee, no one around.

Oh, yes, our room was not only, NOT "warm and cosy with a fireplace" as advertised, it was damp, cold, and the fireplace had insulation in it. When we again went in search of someone to get the fireplace going, they pushed the insulation under the bed, gave us a duralog and took off again.

When I called the person who booked the room, I was given all sorts of excuses, an apology and 30.00 off the room.
I don't know, I just don't feel good about it and I am sure not going to recommend this to anyone.

Stayed: April 2007
5  Thank patriciaheller51
hli, innkeeper at The Carlisle House Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 29 May 2007

This lady's experience was unfortuante due to the fact that we had not had any of our seasonal help arrive by the time of her reservation. We had been waiting every day for our employment approvals to come from the Dept of Labor, but they were so backed up that we did not get our help for over 30 days late!! I called all of our guests to alert them that we were short on help and that we could not provide breakfast and had limited front desk hours. Since it was still off season and we had greatly reduced the rates, everyone was sympathetic and did not mind the absence of the cont breakfast. Unfortunately this lady was the one guest that we missed to forewarn and she was the one who was unhappy. I explained our situation and apologized and offered any refund she would like. I even offered to taxi her to town (300yds) and pay for breakfast, but she said she would let me know what she wanted. I even offered to call around to othe inns and transfer her deposit to them. She told me the next day that she would move to another inn closer to the center of town, since she had trouble walking. I asked her what she would like for a credit for her first night and she said "$30.00". I credit her her original deposit immediately and charge her only $95 for a room with a working fireplace, private bath and canopy bed. She seemed very agreeable. I would have reduced her rate to anything she wanted if the fiqure she had requested was still not enough. She could have called me back if she had changed her mind and I would have gladly refunded. The insulation panel that covers the fireplace was mistakenly placed under her bed by the caretaker . We work very hard to make our guests happy but with the loss of our help, this situation was very upsetting and I tried to accomodate this guest. Sometimes no matter what you do or say it can never be enough.
Our help finally arrived a week later.

Reviewed 26 January 2007

Super location in town for our visit to this great island. My girlfriend loved the room with the canopy bed and a fireplace. The man at the front desk was really helpful in getting us up on the best restaurants and night life. He was a huge help. She liked the cont breakfast but I needed my egg and pancake fix, so we went down the street for a late breakfast brunch. We will come back in summer when we can get to the out of town beaches. Nice island nice people, nice inn.

• Stayed: January 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank mjc56fla
Reviewed 28 November 2006

We just came back from an incredible weekend. We stayed at the Carlisle Inn. It was beautiful, clean, and the help were so accommodating. The manager named Janice was so helpful with places to visit and great restaurants. I would recommend the Carlisle Inn to anyone who is looking for a relaxing place to stay in Nantucket. Bravo!

• Stayed: November 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank usconstitution