“Good location, average stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nantucket
The Carlisle House Inn
Ranked #10 of 38 Nantucket B&B and Inns
Boston, MA
“Good location, average stay”
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We've been to Nantucket many times, but this was our first stay here. It is a pretty old sea captain's house, so old with lots of character and interesting if you like historical buildings. We arrived early, and as with most inns on the island, just stored our luggage in the reception room until we could check in. Heather, the owner, was very nice and we got a tour of the inn and told about all the amenities.

Our room, the Tuckernuck, was a bit on the smaller side, but fine for the two of us. The bathroom was large with plenty of room to move around and storage. There was a big shower stall, but water pressure/shower head wasn't the greatest. The bathroom toiletries were mismatched and we always seemed to get 2 conditioners and no shampoo. Luckily, I found a small bottle in my bag. I know everyone has different tastes, but we did not find our bed or the pillows comfortable. Also, the carpet in that room was very thick and made opening and closing the door difficult. I always felt like I was disturbing others, I had to pull on it so hard. Wifi was difficult to get in the rooms for some reason...again, maybe because it's such an old house. There is a small nook with a computer for guests' use, but couldn't get Internet service on that either.

The continental buffet breakfast was excellent each morning and consisted of cereal, breads, nice yogurts, juice, coffee & tea, and always a different freshly made baked good like muffins or coffee cake. Bottled water was provided in the refrigerator, which was also available for guest use. Coffee and tea were always available.

You can't beat the location...right in town, but down a pretty quiet side street. Our stay there was fine, but can't say there were any special touches like some of the other B&Bs we've stayed at.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Hotelsnobb

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Atlanta, Georgia, United States
Reviewed 16 August 2013

The Carlisle House was the perfect choice for our honeymoon week on Nantucket this July. It's quiet, clean, cozy, and great proximity to town. Heather, the owner, makes fresh pastries daily for breakfast. She was kind enough to pass along the recipe for my favorite; the blueberry coffee cake. There's a great sitting area in the backyard with complementary wine a cheese on Saturday evenings. We rented bikes for the week so it was nice to have a bike rack available on the side of the house. Overall, I would highly recommend the Carlisle House! We will be sure to return!

Room Tip: If you book one of the suites, you will have a private bathroom.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Falls Church, Virginia, United States
Reviewed 8 August 2013

My college friend and I have been coming to Nantucket for many years and have stayed in several B&Bs but once we found the Carlisle Inn we've never looked elsewhere. Love the proximity to town, beaches, and the bike path out of town. Heather, the Innkeeper, is a wealth of knowledge and the rooms are very comfortable. ANd there are a lot of nice little touches and amenities that make for a lovely stay.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 August 2013

As others have said, the location of this place is great, just a few minutes' walk from the ferry port and the centre of town, but down a side street so it's not too noisy. The house is nicely decorated and has that old-world-charm feel to it. That does mean that if you're looking for a 5* luxury hotel as one of your priorities, with all mod cons, then look elsewhere, but as bed and breakfasts go, this is really nice. The owner, Heather, is very welcoming, and there's a lovely lounge area on the ground floor where you can sit and read in the evening if you like.
I stayed in one of the small single rooms, and it really is small - but then, you can see that from the photos on the website, and in Nantucket terms, it's relatively cheap, so fair's fair. The bathroom was shared but I never had to wait to use it, and it's all kept very clean. I'd certainly consider staying here again, maybe splashing out on a bigger room next time.

Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Boston, Massachusetts, United States
Reviewed 5 August 2013

My girlfriend and I spent the weekend at The Carlisle House and had a great time. We arrived early on Friday morning and were happily greeted by Heather the owner. I figured that since we were early we would have to wait several hours for our room to be ready. Heather informed us that our room would only be a few minutes and we were welcome to enjoy the backyard patio and the lounge while we waited.

The Brandt Point room was ready and Heather gave us a bit of history about the inn and the Whaling Captain's roots who originally owned it 250 years ago. The Brandt Point room was charming and had a lot of character. The original wood paneling and fireplace were nice touches.

The Carlisle House Inn is in the perfect location, just a short walk from the Ferrys but far enough away to from the crowded town to be peaceful.

Heather goes out of her way to make sure you are taken care of and enjoying your time. She provided us with great recommendations for beaches, restaurants, and bars. She is also and outstanding baker and the freshly baked muffins, popovers, and variety of breads were delicious. We were pleasantly surprised by a Sat early evening wine and cheese gathering on the back porch.

We will definitely be back and look forward to seeing Heather again.

Room Tip: Brandt Point is a private room on the first floor.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Bradley Beach, New Jersey
Reviewed 4 August 2013

I disagree with a previous reviewer who said this inn isn't charming. It has a lot of charm. If you have ever travelled to Ireland or Great Britain and stayed in guest homes there, that's what this is like. The peeling wallpaper and creaky floors are fine...it makes for a very authentic experience of staying in an antique home. There is some price gouging happening...I was quoted 300 a night over the phone (from the visitor's center in town...this was last minute) and my bill looked different upon check out. But my big problem with my room (#22 second floor) was the bathroom. The toilet didn't flush, the shower head (if you can call it that) was like showering under a garden hose. The roller shade in my room had a broken spring and when I pulled it down the first time, there was no fixing it. ...so at 6 a.m....hellooo sunshine!! The room was pretty, but to be honest...for 340 dollars a night, I would like a bathroom with working fixtures so I think next time I will pass on this place. Can't the innkeeper afford 15 dollars for a real shower head?

Room Tip: Know that if you stay on the second floor, you will hear people walking around over your head.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank samdanmom
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 30 July 2013

A friend of mine and I decided to book the Carlisle House based on the location and charm. We were in the Madaket room which is on the 3rd floor and had 2 twin beds. Upon arrival the Inn Keeper, Heather greeted us with a warm smile and showed us a nice living room area where you could sit and read a book, the cutest little breakfast porch where there is a Keurig if you want coffee, bottled waters, soda, etc and the pretty back yard garden. We enjoyed wine/cheese and a delightful snack array on Saturday evening for the wine & cheese hour sitting outside in the quiet sunshine surrounded by pretty flowers and plants. To get up to the third floor you do need to climb some narrow steps that curve a bit so I would recommend bringing luggage that you can physically carry up and down stairs - the room itself was very cute- with a small television, an AC which kept the room very comfortable- and a decent sized bathroom. The shower in that room was very narrow though with a little window in it overlooking the street. I liked the window because I got fresh air from it while showering but the water pressure was a tad bit weak. The beds were comfortable and we had maid service freshen up while we were out. Breakfast was delightful with fresh baked pastries, an assortment of bagels, english muffins, whole grain breads, peanut butter/honey as well as fresh coffee/tea and orange juice. It was definitely a very filling and delightful breakfast and the porch allowed us to sit closely and meet some of the other guests. The location is really ideal. You can walk out to Galley Beach.......... walk literally up one street to be at the ferry and the main entrance to the streets to the town center........you can definitely wheel your luggage from the ferry to the Inn with ease. I personally found the inn to be very relaxing although we spent very little time in the room because we were out having fun on the island. I think for the price is it an excellent value and there is a cozy/personal feeling with how engaging Heather is. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: We stayed in one of the smaller rooms with a private bath. We did notice there were some larger room...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends