“Loved it!”

The Carlisle House Inn
Ranked #12 of 38 Nantucket B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 September 2009

We stayed here for 2 nights. We are from the midwest and this was my 40th birthday present from my husband. The innkeeper Heather was great! Breakfast was fabulous and it was a comfy , cozy atmosphere. Would love to return someday. Thanks Heather:)

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 28 July 2009

I have had the pleasure of staying at the Carlisle House on two different occasions, once in Polpis and once in Sankaty. Heather and her staff were very friendly and helpful, offering wonderful suggestions for sightseeing and dining. The rooms were very charming and comfortable, and conveniently set at affordable prices. The decor is historical and interesting, which really gives the inn an extra dose of character. Also, I have to say the beds were fantastic and I don't have a single complaint about my night's sleep. The breakfasts are outstanding with a wide variety of delicious treats -- homemade breads and coffee cakes, fresh fruit, yogurt, cereal, and more. My favorite part of staying at this quaint inn was the opportunity to mingle with the other guests staying there. One night after returning from dinner, my mother and I enjoyed the company of Heather and a few other guests in the parlor for an hour of lively conversation. The location is super convenient as most everything is in walking distance. Nantucket is a one of a kind vacation destination, and The Carlisle House Inn is the perfect place to experience all that this island has to offer. I highly recommend this inn!!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 22 June 2009

A delightful and endearing historic inn. Wonderful staff with an especially hospitable innkeeper. Very close to town, and yet private enough to enjoy a quiet and relaxing weekend. I cannot wait to return!!!

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 19 June 2009

I had a wonderful stay at the Carlisle House Inn. I spent the weekend with many close friends and we all adored the furnishings and setting of the Inn. The Inn could not be in a better location; it is a 2 minute walk from Main Street-- incredibly close, but still on a very quiet street. The hosts were very cheerful and excited to have us staying there. They provided great insider information about the island as well as a delightful breakfast. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 November 2008

The Carlisle House Inn is as charming during the "off-season" as it is in the summer months. My husband and I brought my eighty-five-year-old mother to the island to visit friends in November, and we stayed at the Inn for the weekend. My mother was able to stay in the first-floor room, which was perfect for her, and my husband and I enjoyed a second-floor suite.

Named after various sites around the island, the rooms are each uniquely furnished and decorated and have their own personalities! We enjoyed our sitting room, the fireplace, the views of the garden and the quaint neighboring houses from our windows, and the amenities like the Caswell & Massey toiletries in our large, comfortable bathroom.

We also loved the breakfast spread, and we sampled everything! Heather, the Innkeeper, makes most of the delicious breads and muffins, all supplemented with fresh fruit (including a variety of berries!), yogurt, hot and cold cereals, and great coffee. We enjoyed meeting and chatting with the other guests in the sunny breakfast room.

Heather was a warm and welcoming innkeeper who made sure that our stay was perfect. She recommended restaurants, places to see on the island (even in November!), and attended to our every request (including hot tea in the afternoon).

I absolultely recommend this historic inn for a memorable stay on the island of Nantucket.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled with family
Reviewed 22 October 2008

This was my first weekend trip to Nantucket and I was very excited. Based on a recommendation from a mutual friend, we booked the Carlisle House Inn without doing much research. Upon arrival, we had to ring the bell 3 times before anyone came to check us in. Because we were getting in later at night (9pm), I had called to give them advance notice. When we were checked in, we were ready to start the weekend!

Saturday morning, we woke late and had missed the breakfast hour. There is no place to get anything to drink (water, juice or soda) so I approached the desk and explained that I had missed breakfast but was wondering if I could get some juice or water. Heather, the innkeeper, said yes and then asked if I wanted some coffee cake or anything. I said if it wouldnt be that much trouble that'd be great. She proceeded to bring breakfast back out, but acted as though I demanded it be brought out. I thought it was nice of her to do, but it was very uncomfortable given her demeanor while doing so.

Overall, the weekend in Nantucket was great. Heather was nice enough but didn't go out of her way to make us feel welcome. Normally this wouldn't be an issue but considering what my expectations of staying at a b&b were, they were sadly not met.

The room was fine and the location was great.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Reviewed 16 October 2008

We are frequent visitors to Nantucket, and have stayed at different B&B and Inns on each of our visits. We found the Carlisle House to be a nice establishment with a gracious host and an extremely convenient location in the downtown district. The inn was exactly as pictured on their website and as described. When we arrived early in the morning, Heather immediately greeted us, helped us with our bags, and showed us to our room right away - although it was hours before check-in time. When we noticed a very small issue in the bathroom, it was corrected immediately. And when we inquired about the time for breakfast we also mentioned that we were early risers, and Heather offered to put out coffee early for us - which she did each morning for our entire stay. I found her, and her daughter Molly, who also acted as host, to both be friendly and pleasant, respectful of our privacy, and very helpful whenever we needed anything. The continental breakfast was satisfying and tasty, with an assortment of bagels & breads for toasting, fruit, yogurt, cereal and a different coffee-cake, or fresh baked item each day.
The only thing that I would mention if you are considering this inn, is the location of our first floor room. I did choose this room when I booked, and was told where it was and that it had a small bathroom, and although the room was very pretty I would not recommend it. Entered via a tiny alcove off the parlor, it had an awkward door situation that required us to close the breakfast room door whenever we wanted to open our door. I should also note that although it wasn't an issue for us early birds, if you are a late riser this would not be the room for you as we could clearly hear all the morning breakfast prep by the innkeepers as well as guests in the breakfast room. And while the wood-paneled room was nicely furnished with a canopy bed and we found it quaint, the bathroom was indeed too small and needed updating (and expanding!). I would recommend trying one of the rooms on the 2nd or 3rd floor, which is what we would do if we returned for another stay.
But overall, we were happy and enjoyed our stay, and would probably return to the Carlisle Inn on our next trip to Nantucket.

• Stayed: September 2008