“A Lovely B and B, complete with quintessential host and ~”
Review of Centerboard Inn

Centerboard Inn
Ranked #2 of 38 Nantucket B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersSilver level
Los Angeles
“A Lovely B and B, complete with quintessential host and ~”
Reviewed 30 September 2009

I was shocked today when I learned that for some reason my RAVE review of this charming Bed and Breakfast was never realized here for James and staff and travelers to view!?!

I stayed for Christmas and through the New Year, about 2 weeks in all. The adventure of braving the New England cold, and braving possible Nor' Easter storms was perfect in every way and as wondrous as anyone could ever hope.

The variety of weathers, the people that we met, the rooms that housed us, and most of all, James -the proprieter.

This Bed and Breakfast caters to all walks of life and even though it is not to large does seem to have a room appropriate for everyone.

We stayed in the Master's suite, and I recommend it highly.

By day we explored and photographed the desolate and sparse Island.

When the sun went down we took long soaks in the extra large bath by candlelight with a glass of fine wine after a day of braving the elements then Backgammon by the fire lit in the fireplace at night.

In the morning, refreshed, we had a variety of home baked treats, always different, always yummy, AND Freshly ROASTED and brewed coffee.

Did I mention James? He is the host there at the Centerboard Guest House, and is a rare and gifted one at that.

My relationship with James began before we even left Los Angeles as it was winter and there were gifts that I had ordered to be delivered there for Christmas, and complicated travel arrangements -car, ferry, stormy ocean etc.

He never faltered, and was helpful with suggestions and arrangements as he could. I knew when we finally arrived that we were home! This IS the effect of James.

He guided us with a selection of activities, reminded us when we needed to put in a reservation for Christmas dinner, worried about us when we got stuck in the sand (my bad), laughed with us when we recounted the indecent of backing through the major traffic intersection only to just barely miss the police car waiting on the other side for us, was conveniently "not there" when we just wanted some quiet time, and was the jovial perfect host when we did want him there. He just seemed to know.

He really does do all that he can, and if you let him, you will find that he is an absoulute gem!

• Stayed December 2008, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (95)
Pembroke, MA
Reviewed 28 September 2009

We spent hours on the internet and telephone trying to find just the right accommodations for our brief trip to Nantucket, but until you arrive you can never really be sure. Centerboard turned out to be exactly what we had hoped it would be. We were looking for a small, quiet, friendly inn, close to town - it turned out to be all that and more. Our room - #5 - was clean and comfortable, with all the necessary accoutrements. James Blunt was the perfect host; personable, friendly, helpful, quick to share a few tales, and accurate with restaurant recommendations. We'd go back in a heartbeat!

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
Naples, Florida
Reviewed 15 September 2009

My wife and I rate the Centerboard at 5 Stars given the location, ambiance, fine coffee , healthy breakfast fare and engaging innkeeper. We particularly recommend the Master Suite as offering a special and delightful lodging option while enjoying the island. Unlike the many diffident operators throughout New England, James Blunt helped us intelligently sort out touring, dining and other options - taking into account our feedback to help future guests. Now we have returned to Naples, Florida with treasured remembrances of a special experience blending leisure and business.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled on business
New England, USA
Reviewed 11 September 2009

We stayed at the Centerboard over Labor Day weekend 2009. We had a fantastic experience. The location was central and convenient to town. The innkeeper James was helpful, friendly, and courteous. Our room was clean and nicely appointed. I have stayed at many places on Nantucket and I would definitely recommend the Centerboard to anybody.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
paris
Reviewed 30 August 2009

A warm and helpful welcome by resident manager James Blunt.
Yummy breakfasts, great showers, central location and most helpful assistance in making your stay so successful. We are already looking forward to our stay next summer!

Paris Quartet

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
Gainesville, GA
Reviewed 26 August 2009

The biggest reason I chose Centerboard was after reading reviews. Again, I was not disappointed on what others had to say and found it all to be true. James is the heart and soul of this B&B. He always was available either at the inn or he gave us his number (many B&B's arent that way as at others I felt I was bothering the owners if I needed something). The weather was unusually warm and when asking about a fan at breakfast, it was in our room by the time breakfast was over!!! I cannot say enough about how friendly (important to us) as well as this is one of the best locations you can possibly get - close enough to town and yet in a quiet area. My husband and I enjoyed sitting in the front porch in the afternoons. The suggestions from James were great and its nice to see someone that enjoys their guests so much!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
halifax, ns
Reviewed 25 August 2009

the center board is a great little place to enjoy your visit to the island. we were on our honeymoon and loved it, we rented bikes and cruised the whole island and then locked them to the bike rack outside. its in the small things here. freshly roasted coffee beans at breakfast and homemade granola and cakes. very comfy rooms and super friendly staff. i would highly recommend this place, a very short stroll to all things in town, but very quiet.
plenty of good advice and books to grab for the beach. the perfect getaway from the speed of the city.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple