“Wonderful History, Not so great service”
Review of Jared Coffin House

Jared Coffin House
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Nantucket
Reviewed 22 July 2012

This building is not to be missed!!! It is a wonderful historic site!! The feeling of being there just makes me happy :)

On a sourer note, the people are clearly annoyed by your presence. If I worked at a fancy hotel, I would always be chipper, even to locals (like me) whose parents are visiting the island.

Stayed: April 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank MinnieD1986
Jim1845, Manager at Jared Coffin House, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2012

Dear MinnieD1896 - I really would like to hear about your visit to the Jared Coffin House so if you would contact me at the hotel I would really appreciate it.

I am glad you feel the Jared Coffin House is a wonderful historic site as I couldn't agree with you more. Thank you for taking the time to stop by with your parents.

As you may imagine, due to the historic nature of the main buiding and the location, we receive many many walk in visitors daily. We welcome the interest and try to make everyone feel at home (even if they are not staying with us).

The only time this becomes a bit of an issue is when people not staying with us enjoy our complimentary coffee and/or lemonade. I wish we could accomodate everyone that walked in with coffee or lemonade, but it would be impossible for us to keep up with the demand. And when trying to control this, sometimes people get offended.

As a local such as yourself, I would be grateful to hear from you. Thanks, Jim Storey, GM

There are newer reviews for Jared Coffin House

Reviewed 21 July 2012

We stayed at Jared Coffin and had a wonderful time. Staff called in advance asking if they could assist with outing and restaurant reservations, and when we arrived were even able to accommodate our need for an early check-in due to a red-eye flight from the west coast. Rooms were clean and charming, as was the rest of the inn - and staff were always gracious. It truly allowed our long weekend stay to be as seamless as possible.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 9 July 2012

This beautiful inn was built by Jared Coffin, patriarch of one of the original families who settled on Nantucket Island. Very comfortable, well-appointed rooms and a great restaurant. Convenient to many of the popular sites on the main streets and to other great restaurants. Excellent service from all the staff.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2012 via mobile

Wonderful!!! Well kept historic building, impeccably furnished, great staff, helpful and welcoming. Great location. Reserve early and often.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Had been looking forward to a mother/daughter summer experience at this Inn. Booked it through Hotels.com whose website stated that payment would be directly taken from the hotel at check out. Instead, the money was immediately deducted for the total stay from my checking account. While I can appreciate that the fault was also Hotels.com, I felt that the response from Jared Coffin's management was extremely poor: no admission at all that they had any responsibility and simply a re-instatement of their inn's booking policy, which apparently also involves their holding onto 10% of the deposit even after my cancellation well in advance of 21 days.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

Dear Gypsy090 - thank you for the comments above. Yes, indeed that is our in-season cancellation policy. This is not uncommon among the hotels and resorts in this highly seasonal area. I think you may find that in fact our policy is more flexible than many out there. Also, I would recommend booking directly with the hotel/resort's website when possible - most have, as we do - a guaranteed lowest published rate policy and can be reach more redibly than most online travel agencies. Please contact me at the JC if you have any questions and thanks again for the comments. Jim Storey, GM

Reviewed 25 June 2012

My daughter and I checked in for our weekend, I was told that they did not have my reservation, then sent me along my way to the visitors center to try to find other accommodations. No help what so ever, though I was close to tears. At the visitors center, I got the impression this did not happen infrequently. I booked on line ,I am not so sure I would trust that, or the Inn. Good luck

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Sue S
Management response:Responded 29 June 2012

Dear Sue S - I am so sorry you and your daughter had to go through what you did. We should have called the visitor center for you and for not doing that, I apologize. We missed it and thank you for commenting on this as we have use this information for training purposes. The way the visitor center works on Nantucket is every Hotel/Resort/Inn that has rooms (during busy periods) keeps them apprised of what, if any, availability they have. So the visitors center is sort of a one stop shop for what is available instead of having to call around. It would have been our pleasure to accomodate you and your daughter but we were in fact sold out. Also - I would recommend getting and travelling with a confirmation number just in case, preferrably printed from the booking source website. Again, very sorry for the situation you experienced. Jim Storey, GM

Reviewed 16 June 2012

This Hotel is located right in the middle of all the shops and eatries in Nantucket. You don't need a car you can walk everywhere! It is beautifully decorated. Each common area room has a different decor it seemed. The library room is done in american traditional furnishing and the lounge/restaurant area has a ethic flare. See pics. I ate at Lolas,great! and the brotherhood, also great! both within 2 blocks.

Room Tip: This is a historic hotel so if you choose a single room with a twin bed, know that is really for 1 p...
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo