“How amazing customer service can turn things around.”
Review of Jared Coffin House

Jared Coffin House
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Nantucket
Reviewed 26 May 2014

My stay got off to a bumpy start. I arrived early (around 1 p.m. ) and checked my bag, deciding to walk around town for a couple of hours. The person on duty said she would call me when the room was ready. When 5 p.m. rolled around, there was still no call. I returned to the hotel and heard,"We tried to call you. The room has been ready since 3." (There was no record of that on my phone. I checked the number they had and it was correct.)
The next morning, I asked if they had a "real" cup for the coffee instead of paper, and the answer was "no." If I were the manager on duty, I would have come up with a cup somehow. (They were, after all, opening a restaurant a day or two later. I am sure there was a cup close by.)

Now for the good stuff: The single room I booked was small, but quite lovely-- nicely furnished, a comfortable bed and a good off-season rate. (I would suggest a taller lamp on the bedside table or above the bed so that guests can read in bed.) I had read from reviewers on this site that breakfast included assorted pastries (as well as the usual nice continental breakfast items) and wine and cheese in the evening. I saw nothing in the evening and no pastries at breakfast, only bagels, When I asked the innkeeper that evening, she said that pastries were only "in season," which started Memorial Day Weekend. i was perfectly fine with that explanation.
The next morning the innkeeper, Paula, actually went to a wonderful bakery across from the inn and bought me two fabulous muffins. She said, "I could see that you were disappointed that there were no pastries, and I didn't want that." Amazing!
Furthermore, as I was leaving, I was wrestling with my suitcase as well as a large box I planned to mail at the post office on my way to the ferry. When she saw me trying to manage both, she insisted on walking with me to the post office on the next block, carrying the box. Talk about customer service! I felt like I was at Nordstrom's!
These two kindnesses changed my mind about returning to Jared Coffin. I will definitely return. The bellmen were excellent, friendly and helpful, but not obsequious. Except for the glitch with calling to say my room was ready, I found the front desk people to be friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Interior rooms, away from the streets on both sides, especially on weekends. There is a lot of foot...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank VillagesMediation
Jim1845, Manager at Jared Coffin House, responded to this reviewResponded 31 May 2014

Dear The Villages - Thank you for your review and all your kind comments about our team at the Jared Coffin House. We truly appreciate your feedback and thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts regarding your stay with us. We hope to see you on a return visit to Nantucket and thank you staying with us. Regards, Jim Storey GM

Reviewed 16 May 2014

We had never been to Nantucket in May and the Jared Coffin House had a great deal stay two nights get the third night free. This was our second visit to the Jared Coffin House but the first time staying in the Main Inn (the last time was in the Daniel Webster House next door).
We knew a continental breakfast was included, but expected something like a few muffins and coffee. We were pleasantly surprised to see bagels, three kinds of cereal, coffee, tea, orange juice and yogurts. Someone continually came out to replenish the food and even one day when I came back later from a long run they waited to clear it up so I could eat (again!). Our room was comfortable and clean. We were able to get bottles of water whenever we asked from the front desk and even a slightly late checkout. The location of this hotel is perfect. Right on the corner of a residential street but right there at the edge of town. We were able to walk everywhere! Lunch, dinner, exploring. No need for a car.
The staff we met during our stay were very nice, polite and friendly.
We absolutely loved the Jared Coffin House and will definitely return!

Room Tip: We had a room tucked in the corner which was nice since it had reduced foot traffic from other guest...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank onspithia
Jim1845, Manager at Jared Coffin House, responded to this reviewResponded 20 May 2014

Dear onspithia - thank you so much for sharing your experience regarding the Jared Coffin House and Nantucket. Indeed, May is a wonderful time to visit. We are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and look forward to seeing you again on a return visit. Regards, Jim Storey GM

Reviewed 6 May 2014

Our room and the location were perfect. We were close to everything and the room appointments took us back to timeless elegance. We stayed in the Daniel Webster House, and it was both comfortable and quiet.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
Paula S, Manager at Jared Coffin House, responded to this reviewResponded 7 May 2014

Dear Kimdowns - We really value your feedback. It gives us a way to improve the service and the quality of our product. The Jared Coffin House is a special place and we thank you for taking the time to share your experience.
We look forward to having you stay with us again.
Regards,
Paula S.

Reviewed 28 April 2014

Our stay at the Jared Coffin House this weekend was just wonderful. The Inn so beautiful and well kept, and the service was excellent. There was a hot water problem in our room and the staff was so accommodating and gracious, that I will definitely be staying there again when I am in Nantucket.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank McAllister L

We are so happy you enjoyed your stay. I truly appreciate your genuine feedback and your patience and understanding. I will share your kind comments with the staff.
We hope to see you again on a return visit to Nantucket and thank you for staying with us.
Regards,
Paula S.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

We were fortunate to book the last available room for New Year's Eve, and our return to the Jared Coffin House was a memorable one. The location is perfect-- near to everything yet off the beaten path. The ferry terminal is only a few blocks away, an easy walk even with luggage. The surrounding streets are filled with lovely shops and restaurants, although quite a few were closed for the season in December. Every room in this complex is different, and this time ours was in the annex. The room itself was quite large as was the bathroom. The decor was simple and immaculate, a blend of antiques and updated bedding with a flat screen television. During the time we spent there, three different receptionists were on duty. Each one took the time to chat with us and offer ideas and information. A well stocked continental breakfast was included in our rate. Like the island of Nantuncket itself, the Jared Coffin House is beautiful, friendly, and a step back in time.

Room Tip: Visitors might want to ask the desk about room details. I noticed in some reviews that some people...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Jim1845, Manager at Jared Coffin House, responded to this reviewResponded 8 April 2014

Dear Virgo313: Thank you for sharing your experience at the Jared Coffin House. Your kind comments are very much appreciated and have been shared with our team. It was great to hear you enjoyed Nantucket and the Jared Coffin House. Regards, Jim Storey GM

Reviewed 2 December 2013

My girlfriend and I visited the Jared Coffin House in April. Room-wise, we found what someone should expect from a former historic home-turned hotel: a smallish (but perfectly clean and comfortable) room. That said, one visits Nantucket primarily to be "outdoors" at the beach, shopping, dining or investigating this beautiful former whaling port.
As for our primary criticism: breakfast.
While we wern't expecting much, breakfast was briefly served in the livingroom, so there was no sitting at a proper table. Very, very odd. Moreover, the quality of the fare was at a par (perhaps below) from what I've been served at two-star hotel chains near airports! Our solution: head to Main Street for something hot and tasty.
Bottom line: For our return trip to Nantucket during Christmass Strol, we've chosen a different inn.
Message to the Jared Coffin House: With just a little extra effort, you can easily improve your rating!

Room Tip: Ask for ice BEFORE you head up several flights of stairs, otherwise you may be getting unwanted exer...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank chickenjack
Jim1845, Manager at Jared Coffin House, responded to this reviewResponded 3 December 2013

Dear chickenjack - thank you for staying with us and thank you for writing this review. We appreciate your kind comments and your constructive feedback. Nice to hear you'll be visiting the island for Stroll weekend. Along with the Chamber of Commerce, we'll be hosting Santa on Saturday after he arrives by boat and travels up Main Street and through town. Please stop by and say hello if you're in the area. Regards, Jim Storey

Reviewed 26 November 2013 via mobile

Beautiful room, nicely decorated. Jared Coffin House is located just about 3 blocks from the ferry terminal, easily walkable unless you have heavy bags, then a $10 cab ride might be necessary. Convenient to downtown and they offer breakfast in the front dining room. Unfortunately we had an early meeting and could not enjoy breakfast there. For some reason the breakfast room was locked. Were they afraid someone would steal the cereal? Anyway, luckily there were 2 places 2 blocks away--Stubby's and Island Coffee--which offered coffee and breakfast.

But missing breakfast aside, this is a fine place to stay. They are open all year round, which is not common in this seasonal place.

Additionally, there is an excellent bookstore right next door.

We ate supper at Brotherhood of Thieves 2 doors down. Cozy atmosphere, delicious food, and priced fairly reasonably.

We love this place and will return.

• Stayed: November 2013
4  Thank capesafetyguy

Dear capesafetyguy - all of us at the Jared Coffin House are pleased you enjoyed your stay with us and we are thrilled you'll be staying with us in the future. On your return visit, we can easily arrange our continental breakfast to be available to you early or have it brought to your room. We look forward to welcoming you back soon. Regards, Jim Storey GM