“Spooky & Historic”
Review of Jared Coffin House

Jared Coffin House
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Nantucket
Reviewed 16 April 2007

We stayed here for two nights in a family room with husband myself and 4 yr old son. Room was large pull out sofa for boy, canapoy bed nice linens, clean. Building we were in was from 18th century very settled sloped floors, spooky. First night my bathroom door moved a few times. I was told a tale from someone who had worked at the inn once at dinner on second night. I was scared when I got back to my room although nothing scary happened to us. We were told the room is haunted by a lady named Phoebe who was a Puritan and gets quite upset by unmarried guests. We were happily married and safe! She will pull the covers off while you sleep and then appear scowling at the foot of the bed. I was so scared I hardly slept at all clutching my covers to me (definately did not need to hear that story after dark). My sons DVD player was playing when we came back to the room(Sleeping Beauty) she must have enjoyed the music) I was certain we had turned it off. That was the worst of it, my husband and son were fine with it we had an overall good stay.

• Stayed: April 2007, travelled on business
2  Thank cljd3

Reviewed 5 October 2006

Recently spent 3 nights at the hotel. Kitchen is closed, tap room is closed, elevator is not functioning. They can find all sorts of fruit and juices for private parties in the dining room but hotel guests only get breads and coffee for their continental breakfast. Beware that there are vast difference in the rooms. Our friends were initally put in the building next door in a room that was a former 3rd floor storage closet, There was literally 18 inches on each side of their bed. Our windows had not been washed in a year and you could hardly see out. The window air conditoner vents were broken and there were no screens on the windows.
Water pressure was fair and water was WARM not hot. The hotel is located near everything but for $300 (w/tax )a night we will be looking elsewhwere on our next trip.

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1  Thank RIck44131
Reviewed 16 September 2006

My husband and I highly recommend the Jared Coffin House in Nantucket. Great bed....wonderful mattress, duvet cover on the blanket (which I find assuringly sanitary as I sink into it at the end of the day). The dining room was closed for renevation so we were given a discount coupon for a nearby restaurant for breakfast. Beautiful old home, great location, wonderful staff, (Delmond was so nice helping us with our luggage) and our room was very clean. Someone told us during dinner that the property to the right of the main house is even better! We'll plan for that on our next Nantucket trip!

• Stayed: September 2006, travelled as a couple
2  Thank jamieinbalto
Reviewed 13 July 2006

The Harrison Gray House has been sold. The wonderful breakfasts in the dining room are no longer; dining room is closed. The Tap Room is not serving any meals either. The "soft goods" are tired and worn. We were very disappointed with the major decline in such a wonderfully historic building. The front desk was cordial but stressed. Had planned to book for Christmas Stroll but have decided against this idea. One wonders if they will be open much longer - an uncertain feeling.

Hope things will turn around but it's hard to see.

• Stayed: April 2006
6  Thank Reefbarrier
A TripAdvisor Member
Rochester, NY
Reviewed 1 November 2005

We arrived at the Nantucket dock after a huge snow storm, and easily walked to the inn carring our bags. (We did pack light expecting the walk.. but it wasn't bad at all!) The town was just beautiful in the snow and the inn looked just great. It's not a modern, showy kind of place, but very homey and warm. We loved our room got a good middle of the week deal on the price. The tavern was just teriffic, and basically all we wanted to do was unwind, and enjoy the island sans people! We did just that The highlight was probably the tavern and diningroom food. It was just what we imagined and would definately go back!For us, it was just what we needed after a busy holiday season. A real retreat. I would definately ask about their seasonal mid-week deals!!

• Stayed: December 2004
6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 26 September 2005

I have stayed at the Jared Coffin house several times during the last 10 year period. Although I had not been there in three years, I was quite taken aback by how the service as deteriorated as well as the general appearance. Staff in general were unhelpful and at times unfriendly. In addition, it does not offer complimentary breakfast as previously. Unfortunately it has become a pale reflection of its previous self.
I will not return.

• Stayed: September 2005
10  Thank CentaurMountClemens
Reviewed 8 August 2005

The "deluxe" accommodations in the Harrison Grey House at the Jared Coffin property were sadly disappointing. We stayed in a queen deluxe room, where the wallpaper was stained and faded, the bathroom creaky and tiny, there was a noisy service area in the basement underneath our room where housekeeping and handymen kept up loud conversations all morning; all contibuted to a feeling of being led to believe something other than what we had read online. The "sumptuous breakfast", although nice, was merely some strawberries and muffins; no juice, yogurt, or cereals. (calling it a "continental breakfast" might have been more appropriate). The bath surround was cheap fiberglass, the toilet needed to be flushed many times to empty it, the door to the bathroom could not be opened completely without hitting the toilet, the sink was behind the door and next to the heating unit, and there was zero counter space. We kept our toiletries in the room on the mantel and brought them into the bath when we needed them. The bed and linens were nice, and the room was indeed spacious, but there was absolutely nothing on the walls other than the faded wallpaper and a map of Nantucket. We never ate at the restaurant although it looked nice, but the Tap Room was quite musty and dark. ("Historic"!) The location was excellent, however, for walking into town and dining or shopping. The lobby and public areas in the Jared Coffin House were quite lovely and well-kept, and the staff were friendly, but the hotel was full or we would have requested another room, perhaps in the Jared Coffin House itself. I'd save my money if you're looking for "deluxe" at the Harrison Grey House, which advertised "upgraded amenities". Next time we'll spend a little more for the White Elephant!

• Stayed: July 2005