“Just returned from Martin House on Nantucket.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Martin House Inn

Martin House Inn
Ranked #15 of 39 Nantucket B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“Just returned from Martin House on Nantucket.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2013

This was a beautiful and gracious inn. Skye, the manager, could not have been more helpful and welcoming in. Martin House is beautifully decorated with art from local artists, multiple fireplaces, and charming window seats. We checked out the captain's walk on the roof of the house which offered a lovely view of the harbor and town. The continental breakfast was perfect featuring freshly baked scones and muffins, freshly cut fruit, and a choice of cereals, coffee, tea, orange juice, etc. On Friday evening at 5:30, there is a wine and cheese party for guests and on Saturday afternoon, warm mulled cider and cookies are served around 4:30. Skye is a font of local information and assistance and is a charming raconteur. We hope to return soon.
Roberta Marchi and Kevin Farrell from Boston

Room Tip: There are 2 rooms on the first floor which are good for those who have mobility issues. We stayed i...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

First time in Nantucket and had a very pleasant stay at the Martin House. Within walking distance of the ferry if you don't have a car, the location is accessible to the bicycle shops for rentals and a lovely bus tour that meets a block down giving a nice tour of the island. The innkeeper was very cordial and hospitable with fresh baked goods and a nice breakfast spread in the mornings and nice treats in the evening like wine and cheese (complementary bottle of red or white) or cider/tea + cookies. Room was clean and well maintained. Highly recommended for anyone looking for a relaxing getaway.

lansdale
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013 credit card Amex Cardmember Review

My wife and I stayed here as a last minute trip and had no regrets. We were greeted warmly by the Innkeeper and given a thorough lay of the land along with personal recommendations. Room conditions were above average for a B&B and the fresh baked goods in the evening along with the fresh scones in the morning were a pleasant surprise.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
Boston, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Many thanks to Skye for all the nice touches that made our 40th Anniversary so special. The Inn is lovely but her hospitality is really what makes it the "place to go". Skye was the perfect hostess. She creates a warm and friendly atmosphere so that you feel connected to the other guests and yet their is a lot of freedom to come and go. Her baking is fabulous and we looked forward to each morning's muffins and scones. The Inn is close to town and the best restaurants and yet the beach is not far away. My husband and I had met on Nantucket and were so happy to return and can't wait for a return trip to the Martin Inn and be pampered again by Skye.

Room Tip: We booked Room 21 that has a lovely fireplace and private porch where we shared champagne and chocol...
Springfield, New Jersey
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2013

My sister and I have just returned from a three day (two night) stay at the Martin House Inn. We had a delightful time. Thank you to Skye for her hospitality and her wonderful baked goods. If we hadn't bicycled close to thirty miles around the island we would have gained weight! Our room was on the third floor, rather small but very cozy! We shared a bath with another room but never had to wait! We enjoyed our proximity to the roof walk and the vistas available. Since we took over 400 pictures between us, you know we had a marvelous time. Our living social "coupon" was well worth our "adventure." We strongly recommend the Martin House and Skye as innkeeper as she knows everything about the island, freely makes recommendations, and truly enjoys meeting her guests.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
Albany, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 October 2013

The Martin House Inn is a lovely accommodation on the island; my spouse and I highly recommend it. We arrived on Friday evening of a long weekend; Skye greeted us and helped us get acquainted to the island. She graciously reviewed island highlights and escorted us to our room. We stayed in room #25. Although the room did not have a fireplace, it was lovely and spacious. The room was airy (5 windows) and very clean (with the exception on some stains on the couch). The reason for the 4 star rating was because of the excessive noise outside throughout the three nights we stayed at the Inn. The Inn is located on Centre Street, apparently this is a busy street at night. Although island information describes a noise ordinance, there was a steady stream of loud noise on Centre St. on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights; hence, it impacted our sleep. The bed, linens, and towels were clean, white, and comfortable. Breakfast was delicious, the homemade scones and fruit salad were outstanding. The Inn is beautiful and the hostess Skye was wonderful. The location of the Inn was ideal for walking into town and renting bikes. Overall, it was a wonderful weekend. Except for the noise, everything couldn't have been more perfect.

1 Thank DocMulf
Atlantic City, New Jersey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

Let me start out by saying my experience with Skye before we arrived was not a pleasant one. I purchased a living social deal for a full bed and when I went to book the room there were no full beds available. I asked if I was able to book a queen bed and pay an additional fee. When I originally called I was given a fee and when I decided on the date to book, I called again and was given a different fee which was approximately $100 more. I mentioned to Skye that I was quoted a different price and her response was “I’m sorry I must have given you the wrong amount”. I asked her to honor the price that she originally gave me and she said absolutely not. “If I gave it to you for that price, I would be out money that I would need to take from my savings”. I said “well because of the price you gave me I will be out the extra money”. I asked that she meet in the middle and we would split the amount that she gave me wrong. She refused and got very nasty. I explained that she would lose a customer because of this mistake, and she didn’t care. I hung up and called living social and explained my story. They were gracious enough in not losing a customer and gave me a credit of $50.00 (they know how to keep their customers happy). Anyway, if it was possible I would not have gone to the Inn since I feel that Skye did not treat the situation properly. She clearly admitted she made the mistake and was not willing to work with me. Anyway, I couldn’t get a refund from Living Social since it was beyond their return policy so we went. When we got to the Inn I really wasn’t looking forward to meeting Skye. When we arrived, I was not overly friendly since I was still bitter the way she handled the situation. However, I never mentioned that I was the person, thought it would be best to keep that too myself. We did enjoy our stay at the Martin House. Location is everything, very close to town and an easy walk. It was a bit further from the ferry than we thought, but not a bad walk. The house has character, which is great. Skye gave us an informative overview of the island by map and told us some great locations, restaurants, and things to do. Breakfast in the morning is small, but gets you going. It is nice to speak with the other guests and hear where they are from and what they did while on the island. You read so much about her baked goods and all is true - her scones are delicious (especially the coconut ones). In the evening when you came back there were cookies left out. There is a verandah and living room with TV for all to use which we did not get to take advantage of. However, we did use the widows walk up on the roof. The stars at night are breathtaking and views of the church are gorgeous. During the day you can see the harbor which is also beautiful. This was my favorite part of the Inn. The Inn in general is clean, however our bed linens smelled, like I couldn’t use them smelled. I was able to use the sheets, but the top blanket & comforter could not be used. I was going to mention something, but knowing the problems that I had during booking I chose to keep quite. We were also only there for two nights so I “sucked it up”. We were in room 23 which was charming along with all the other rooms which I looked into while vacant. However, the bathroom is the size of a closet – very tiny. When sitting on the toilet with the door closed your knees touch the door – especially if you’re tall. In addition, the shower is also very small. Again, we were only there for two days so we were able to deal with it. If planning to shave your legs – beware. On a brighter note, the bath towels were very large which made getting out of the tiny shower something to look forward too. Anyway, overall other than the booking process everything was good.

Room Tip: Room 23's bathroom is very small
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple