“Another top-flight stay at the Sherburne”
Review of Sherburne Inn

Sherburne Inn
Ranked #6 of 38 Nantucket B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
New York City, New York
“Another top-flight stay at the Sherburne”
Reviewed 13 July 2013

This is the 2nd summer my partner and I have spent a week at the Sherburne Inn, and I cannot say enough positive about the place and its proprietors. Beautiful and perfectly maintained inn that makes for a truly authentic Nantucket experience. Many reviews here have already made note of the breakfast delivered to your door every morning, and the sherry and homebaked cookies waiting for you as you return home every evening. If you need anything at all while you're here, from restaurant recommendations to additional beach towels to peace and quiet, the owners and staff are at your service. Susan, the proprietor, is a lovely person, very welcoming and charming and a top-notch professional who very clearly takes pride in her inn. She is also knowledgeable about what the island has to offer and its rich history. The inn is extremely well located, on a very quiet street that is far removed enough from the hubbub of town and yet so close that everything is w/in very easy walking distance. Any negative comments on TripAdvisor seem to have to do w/ the "skimpy" breakfast, but let me say that my partner and I have fairly healthy appetites, and we are always extremely satisfied w/ the breakfast offering (but as this is America, land of the overfed, I must say that I'm not surprised to read that some reviewers are not satisfied w/ anything less than the Lumberjack Special delivered to their door every morning; maybe they'd be happier staying someplace w/in easy proximity of a Denny's?). In general, bear in mind that this is a B&B and is a true B&B experience; it is NOT a full-service hotel w/ hot tub, room service and a spa. If you're looking for that, this is not the place for you; find a hotel. They do exist on the island. If, on the other hand, you are looking for a truly authentic Nantucket visit, one that will make you hate to leave and return to reality and that will make you long for your next visit, then look no further than the Sherburne.

Room Tip: If you can, spring for the more expensive rooms with the king-size beds and large bathrooms in the b...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tony C
daniels2010, Owner at Sherburne Inn, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
Thank you, Tony for your very informative review of your experience at the Sherburne Inn during your recent visit to Nantucket. What a great help it will be to those deciding what lodging option best fits their Nantucket visit.
It was great to see you and your partner return to the Sherburne Inn. One of the joys of being an Innkeeper is meeting and getting to know a variety of wonderful and very interesting guests. Both of you are right there on the top of the "most delightful" ones! We hope you'll return for another Nantucket visit next year.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
New York City, New York
Reviewed 10 July 2013

It has become an annual July 4th week ritual for me to stay at the Sherburne Inn. Susan is one of the most gracious innkeepers -- so friendly to the guests -- and I always enjoy meeting up with her and sharing what I've been up to on island, where I've explored, what cultural activity I've enjoyed. Breakfast-in-a-basket is a charming way to begin the day at the Inn. We're provided with a pitcher of lemon water and snacks in the afternoon -- just what you need after a long day at the beach. In the evening, a home-baked treat awaits your sweet tooth. The atmosphere is pleasant and inviting; the inn's location provides easy access to town and transportation. The neighborhood is quiet for a peaceful night's sleep. It's a slice of heaven, the Sherburne Inn, on Nantucket.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo
Norfolk, Massachusetts
Reviewed 10 July 2013

We loved our time spent at the Sherburne Inn. It was completely booked when we stayed yet we never saw another guest, so it felt as though we had the whole place to ourselves. Susan served a delicious basket of breakfast goodies every morning to our door and also cooked yummy treats for evening. We would walk in from a day of shopping and smell fresh cookies baking. The gardens are out of a dream with quiet little corners to sit and enjoy a glass of wine. The inn has now become "my happy place" where I go in my head after a chaotic day at work. Someday we will return to this lovely and quaint spot. :)

Room Tip: Our room was small but affordable compared to other Nantucket inns.
daniels2010, Owner at Sherburne Inn, responded to this review, 11 July 2013
Katelyn, Thank you for sharing your special experience of staying at the Sherburne Inn. I was especially happy to hear of your attraction to our garden and yard. The garden is my newest joy in my life as an Innkeeper, never having been much of a gardener in the past . I've courageously relocated most of the hostas to the back of the property and planted roses, lilies, hydrangeas, cosmos and other plants I can't spell in their place. I was hoping the results would bring joy and happiness to our guests as it has to me.
fort lee , new jersey
Reviewed 9 July 2013

I picked room #8 , one of the most expensive rooms. Immediately upon entering the B&B, the heat was oppressive in the common areas. I picked this place because they touted on the website "central a/c". Susan, the owner, told us " you have your own air conditioner" when we arrived. That should have tipped us off. On entering the room, we saw an old window a/c unit , the filter was clogged completely, and we could not get the room cooler than 78 degrees. The bathroom had no cooling and registered on our alarm/ room temp/ clock 80 degrees. Try taking a shower, drying your hair, under those conditions!!! False advertising! Wi-fi? Not in your room like it supposed to, but she said it works?! Shame on the innkeeper! I went downstairs to get coffee in the morning after a terrible night's sleep, and she asked me how everything was. I told her. She basically said I was a liar. She said the halls were 72 degrees so I showed her the thermostat outside our room registering 76 degrees. Then I showed her the temp in our room. She again said it was 72?! She needs glasses. Her remedy to cool the bathroom was to shut the bathroom door and open the windows! I paid for central a/c and did not have that in one of the most expensive rooms! We left after breakfast and upon returning she came in, opened the bathroom windows, and lowered the a/c to roast us again. She let all the humidity in & the temp was over 80 degrees. She said we were not welcome, should leave, and that the room below had a part of their ceiling fall because of our shower which was a claw tub with a lousy shower curtain. Some water did come out but was immediately absorbed with a towel. I took photos of the wood floor showing apparent previous water damage. Therefore, they do not fix the shower curtain situation, monitor the wall a/c filter for proper filtration, etc. Dust under the bed and all over the shutters. Impossible to sleep because dawn will wake you up. The cheap window shades let all the light in. The entire building is not level. Your suitcase will roll, so have fun stabilizing it. It will just roll until it hits something. She said we were to leave and would get a refund. Upon leaving I was charged for the first night. I confronted her that she said I would get a refund but she said NO, you spent the night. Stay away from here unless this sounds what you want. We went down the street to the Jared Coffin House and that wall a/c unit is modern, digital, and the room is beautifully climate controlled, not to mention more spacious and LESS EXPENSIVE!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank lfbmonkey
daniels2010, Owner at Sherburne Inn, responded to this review, 10 July 2013
The mismatch of this reviewer's expectations of the Sherburne Inn were so apparent in this situation that I offered to relocate them to another Nantucket property with a full refund of their unused nights. My shoulders have grown much broader since becoming an Innkeeper, but to be called a "liar" is hitting below the belt. Slamming doors, loud, angry accusations, and spiteful behavior was out of line and needed an immediate solution. I am so glad this couple found a room that met their needs at a local Hotel.
Room #8, King of the Hill is a lovely, popular guest room that many couples enjoy celebrating their honeymoon, engagement, anniversary, birthday or just a few special days together sitting on their private balcony overlooking our in-town historic neighborhood. The king bed has an elaborate, hand-carved headboard and feather bed topper that has been quoted by a recent guest as being "like sleep on a cloud". We are proud of our small, charming Inn built in 1835 that does offer central air with a few window units in the larger guestrooms offering additional comfort. WiFi is available in every guest room, every common area inside and outside the Inn, and our beautiful original pumpkin pine floors do slant!
My husband and I give our personal best to each of the hundreds of guests that join us for their special Nantucket visit each year. It is a joy to share in their fond memories. We hope you'll consider a stay at the Sherburne Inn for what it does offer visitors - a wonderfully located, uniquely charming, small property in the historic town of Nantucket.
Yonkers, New York
Reviewed 20 June 2013

We are always looking forward to staying at the Sherburne Inn. We enjoy the quiet rooms, the comfortable bed with beautiful linens, the pristine white cutwork and embroidered valances in the bathroom along with embroidered white shower curtain. The Inn feels like home and the owners could not be more hospitable. We have stayed in several places on Nantucket but since we discovered Sherburne Inn, this is the only place for us.

Room Tip: Corner suites are large and sunny
1 Thank Georgiana Z
Geneva, Illinois
Reviewed 19 June 2013

We stayed at the Sherburne Inn for 3 nights and enjoyed our trip immensely. The Inn is located steps from all the Nantucket action, yet quiet and very romantic. Breakfast was always delicious and delivered to our door. We stayed in a large room at the back of the house on the first floor, I believe it was called Love at First Sight. It was very spacious with a great bathroom. I would highly recommend the Sherburne Inn to any couples visiting Nantucket.

1 Thank akloese
Richmond, VT
Reviewed 7 June 2013

This was our first time at the Sherburne Inn and we had a wonderful time! It's clean, comfortable and well appointed. We loved the location as it is close to town, shops, beaches and restaurants. We had a great time biking both days on the nearby bike paths. Loved sitting out on the deck in the back. Had everything we needed and found the innkeepers very friendly!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
daniels2010, Owner at Sherburne Inn, responded to this review, 9 June 2013
Thank you Ted Y from VT for taking a few minutes to share your thoughts and impressions of your visit to Nantucket and your stay at the Sherburne Inn. It's reviews like yours that re-enforce the reasons why my husband and I got in to the business of owning/managing a B&B. Providing pleasing accommodations while visitors explore and enjoy our Island is our mission. It warms our hearts when we are successful. Hope you'll return soon.