“Beautiful inn, great location and friendly service”
Review of Sherburne Inn

Sherburne Inn
Ranked #5 of 38 Nantucket B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reston, Virginia
“Beautiful inn, great location and friendly service”
Reviewed 3 September 2013

My wife and I just returned from a 3-day Labor Day weekend in Nantucket and we loved staying at this Inn. It's in a perfect location on a quiet street, and just a quick walk to all the hot spots around town. Our room was quiet and peaceful, with a very comfortable bed. There were also lots of nice common areas where we could read, relax and meet other guests.

The owners were very friendly and accommodating, and helped us with several great restaurant recommendations and also provided ideas for some fun island activities. We will definitely stay here when we come back.

Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Boola93
daniels2010, Owner at Sherburne Inn, responded to this review, 4 September 2013
Thank you for taking a few minutes to write a review of your experience at the Sherburne Inn. I am so delighted to hear that you liked your accommodations and your Nantucket adventures so much that you are considering a return visit.
We look forward to welcoming you and your wife back to our Island!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
New Rochelle, New York
Reviewed 30 August 2013 via mobile

My husband and I spent 2 nights here and were quite pleased. The location to town and Jetties beach was great. It was a 10 minute walk to ferry. The room and bathroom were very clean. We were in Room #8 which had a small balcony, lovely for sitting and reading a book. Our bed was very comfortable and it was very quiet in the inn and in the surrounding neighborhood. We would definitely stay at the Sherburne Inn again.

• Stayed August 2013
Reviewed 19 August 2013

My wife and I (73 &65) stayed a week in mid-July 2013...our second time there. Top three reasons we went back:
Wonderful location...short walk to the middle of town, yet we had no trouble parking our rented car nearby every day.
Room quality...great bed, good shower, loved the simple breakfast Basket every morning, ample bottles of water, Keurig machine coffee, lovely little garden to sit in and watch the birds
Finally, the very friendly owners are there to help you get the most out of your stay.
We plan to go back next summer.

• Stayed July 2013
1 Thank 1217george
daniels2010, Owner at Sherburne Inn, responded to this review, 26 August 2013
Thank you for your very informative review on our Inn. We are delighted to have returning guests return year after year. A few minutes of comparing Winter activities and travel, finding out what's new on Nantucket, and our returning guests are off to enjoy another visit on the Island with a nice feeling of familiarity. Can't wait for your return visit!
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 11 August 2013

The Sherburne Inn gets a C+ in my rating. The Inn was very clean and the bedding and towels were changed out each day, bathroom cleaned and carpet vacuumed.
My main complaint has to do with the lack of an eating area and insufficient sitting space. There is NO dining room and a very small parlor. Breakfast is provided in a basket that is set outside each door. The breakfast was quite meager consisting of a baked item (spice cake, blueberry cake), a not very fresh fruit salad, and two tablespoons of vanilla yogurt. The rooms are so small that there is no way that breakfast can be eaten there. Therefore one needs to compete with the rest of the Inn guests for inadequate seating outdoors. Fortunately we had excellent weather - or we would have been out of luck.

We were in a bedroom on the first floor and were awakened each day at 7 AM by people walking around in the room above us.

Another minor irritation was the ersatz classical/new age music that was played all day. I felt like I was in a massage studio.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
daniels2010, Owner at Sherburne Inn, responded to this review, 12 August 2013
It is personally disheartening to miss our mark in 100% guest satisfaction.The Sherburne Inn is a small property managed by its owners, Susan and John Daniels with the assistance of a great seasonal staff. No doubt the Inn reflects our interests and tastes, however I listen to our guests compliments and comments so I can best meet their expectations and needs. The two areas I hear the most positive feedback are our "Breakfast Baskets" I prepare and deliver to the guestrooms every morning letting our guests decide if they'd like to jump back into bed for breakfast or take their basket out to the garden . The second is the calm, relaxing, soothing atmosphere in and around the Inn including the music we play in the reception area where we greet our guests with chilled bottled water, maps, restaurant recommendations/activity suggestions. These personal touches are among our signature offerings at the Sherburne Inn.
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 July 2013

I traveled to Nantucket and stayed at the Sherburne Inn July 19-21 of 2013. We stayed in room #7 (Cozy Stateroom) and although the room was definitely cozy, it was more than enough space for myself and my boyfriend. The room was very nice with AC and a ceiling fan to keep us cool. The bathroom is very small but functional. The Inn is in a great location - less than a 5 minute walk to town and 10 minutes from the Steamship Authority ferry! We loved that the Inn provided a small breakfast of pastries/yogurt/fruit and juice to our room each morning - it was delicious. We also loved that they provided beach towels and chairs (small that did not recline) which made our travel a lot lighter getting to the island. The only negative was that there is no main bathroom at the inn, so before and after checkout one must find a public bathroom to use in town and changing for or after the beach can be a challenge. Overall a great weekend and great stay at the Sherburne Inn!

Room Tip: check the website for the layout/size of each room. We chose the Cozy Stateroom for its value and w...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 July 2013

This is the 2nd summer my partner and I have spent a week at the Sherburne Inn, and I cannot say enough positive about the place and its proprietors. Beautiful and perfectly maintained inn that makes for a truly authentic Nantucket experience. Many reviews here have already made note of the breakfast delivered to your door every morning, and the sherry and homebaked cookies waiting for you as you return home every evening. If you need anything at all while you're here, from restaurant recommendations to additional beach towels to peace and quiet, the owners and staff are at your service. Susan, the proprietor, is a lovely person, very welcoming and charming and a top-notch professional who very clearly takes pride in her inn. She is also knowledgeable about what the island has to offer and its rich history. The inn is extremely well located, on a very quiet street that is far removed enough from the hubbub of town and yet so close that everything is w/in very easy walking distance. Any negative comments on TripAdvisor seem to have to do w/ the "skimpy" breakfast, but let me say that my partner and I have fairly healthy appetites, and we are always extremely satisfied w/ the breakfast offering (but as this is America, land of the overfed, I must say that I'm not surprised to read that some reviewers are not satisfied w/ anything less than the Lumberjack Special delivered to their door every morning; maybe they'd be happier staying someplace w/in easy proximity of a Denny's?). In general, bear in mind that this is a B&B and is a true B&B experience; it is NOT a full-service hotel w/ hot tub, room service and a spa. If you're looking for that, this is not the place for you; find a hotel. They do exist on the island. If, on the other hand, you are looking for a truly authentic Nantucket visit, one that will make you hate to leave and return to reality and that will make you long for your next visit, then look no further than the Sherburne.

Room Tip: If you can, spring for the more expensive rooms with the king-size beds and large bathrooms in the b...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Tony C
daniels2010, Owner at Sherburne Inn, responded to this review, 14 July 2013
Thank you, Tony for your very informative review of your experience at the Sherburne Inn during your recent visit to Nantucket. What a great help it will be to those deciding what lodging option best fits their Nantucket visit.
It was great to see you and your partner return to the Sherburne Inn. One of the joys of being an Innkeeper is meeting and getting to know a variety of wonderful and very interesting guests. Both of you are right there on the top of the "most delightful" ones! We hope you'll return for another Nantucket visit next year.
Reviewed 10 July 2013

It has become an annual July 4th week ritual for me to stay at the Sherburne Inn. Susan is one of the most gracious innkeepers -- so friendly to the guests -- and I always enjoy meeting up with her and sharing what I've been up to on island, where I've explored, what cultural activity I've enjoyed. Breakfast-in-a-basket is a charming way to begin the day at the Inn. We're provided with a pitcher of lemon water and snacks in the afternoon -- just what you need after a long day at the beach. In the evening, a home-baked treat awaits your sweet tooth. The atmosphere is pleasant and inviting; the inn's location provides easy access to town and transportation. The neighborhood is quiet for a peaceful night's sleep. It's a slice of heaven, the Sherburne Inn, on Nantucket.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled solo