“Makes you want to never leave your room!”
Review of Sherburne Inn

Sherburne Inn
Ranked #4 of 38 Nantucket B&B and Inns
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed 9 June 2007

My husband and I came to visit Nantuket for the very first time for our 5th Wedding Anniversary. Just like the island itself, the Sherburne Inn is absolutely charming, peaceful, comfortable, and surrrounded by warm people. Our room was not only clean, homey, and beatifully decorated, the bed was incredibly comfortable - the kind you just melt in and never want to leave. Breakfasts were served each morning in their parlor - the freshly baked muffins were to die for... The Inn is situated on a quiet neighborhood street - cobblestone roads. What a perfect place to come and have a truly restful and memorable vacation.
Waiting to soon return,
Roberta and Peter - San Diego, CA

• Stayed: June 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank robertarae

Reviewed 30 May 2007

My girlfriend and I stayed at the Sherburne Inn for a romantic Memorial Day Weekend (5/25/2007 – 5/28/2007) and we couldn’t have been happier!!! The accommodations were amazing by anyone’s standards. My girlfriend is normally a B&B-type person whereas I’m more of a 5-star hotel person and we were both extremely satisfied with the Sherburne Inn. The Sherburne has the quality and elegance of a 5-star hotel coupled with the personalized, at-home feel of a bed and breakfast. Everything at the Inn was exceptionally clean and beautifully decorated. We went there to escape New York City for a few days and it felt like we took a trip to heaven.

The Inn is in the perfect location! It is central to everything in town (right off of Centre Street), but is located on a small, one-way, side street with almost no traffic or noise. You will not be disappointed with this location as it is literally steps away from everything in town.

The owners, Susan and Dale Hamilton, are extremely friendly and very much dedicated to making all of their guests feel welcome and comfortable. It is obvious to even a casual observer that this Inn is a labor of love for them and not just a business venture. The bedroom was absolutely wonderful and the private bathroom was way more than we anticipated. My girlfriend is very into design and loved the tiger-claw tub and shower curtain. I was happy with the great shower spray. Everything had a personal touch and all needs and desires were already anticipated. We didn’t get around to watching much TV, but there was a nice TV with tons of channels and a built-in DVD player (for which the Inn provides a huge catalog of DVDs should you want to watch a movie). There’s also a great clock radio in the room, so leave your travel clocks at home. The fact that they provided beach towels and a nice beach bag made going to the beach very easy for us. They also provide great local insights and tips (restaurants, museums, …). The breakfast and afternoon chocolate chip cookies were delicious. Definitely try Susan’s blueberry bagels and the coffee is superb!

Susan went above and beyond the call of duty as an Inn proprietor when she helped my girlfriend return our rental bikes when I wasn’t around. Not only that, but she took her on a scenic tour while doing it. Susan and Dale Hamilton are as rare a treasure as their lovely Inn! Our maid was also really nice and helped us out when we needed a hand. She found me some safety pins right away that saved me from a trip to the store.

I’m a frequent traveler and I’ve stayed in upscale hotels all over the world and I can say without a doubt that I would never stay anywhere else when taking a trip to Nantucket. We’ve already booked a trip to return next month! My only fear is that this review will force me to book my trips to Nantucket farther in advance. We wanted to keep this perfect gem to ourselves, but we owe it to Susan and Dale to let everyone know how magnificent the Sherburne Inn really is. On a scale of 1 to 10, the Sherburne in is a 12!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
2  Thank EricWenger
Reviewed 18 May 2007

My husband and I decided to stay in Nantucket and Marthas Vineyard for our second visit to the USA. Following the excellent reviews on your website for the Sherburne Inn I contacted the owners and booked for 4 nights. The accommodation could not have been more comfortable and the owners more welcoming. Although very early in the season, we thoroughly enjoyed our stay there and would not hesitate to recommend it to any others wishing to visit Nantucket. The town was like stepping back into the middle of the 1990s. Everyone was so pleasant and the town immaculate. There were plenty of choices for meals and I would particularly recommend Arno's and the Centre Street Bistro. If you are into books then Mitchells Book Corner is the place for you - I had trouble keeping my husband out of it!

Thank you Dale and Susan at the Sherburne Inn for making our stay in Nantucket so relaxing and memorable.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled as a couple
1  Thank dianneLeeds
Reviewed 4 May 2007

The annual Daffodil Festival is Nantucket’s nod to the passing of winter and the start of spring. This year, I decided to take part in the festivities and spend the weekend on the island. My plan was to arrive early Saturday morning and depart Sunday late afternoon. In order to make my plan reality, I needed to find lodging. After reviewing my many options, I decided on the Sherburne Inn. I placed a call to the inn in early March, a full month prior to my arrival. When I inquired about room availability for the evening of 28 April, I was laughed at by the person on the other end of the phone. He seemed delighted to inform me of my naivety, regarding the two night minimum required during the festival. His tone was so snooty and dripping with sarcasm that I instantly decided to never stay there, even if it meant forgoing my opportunity to attend the festival. Rating my stay at the Sherburne Inn is difficult, since I never really got past the unfriendly, and frankly just plain rude, person manning the phones.

Never fear. I was not dissuaded by this poor customer service. Instead I called another B&B and am delighted to report that the Daffodil festival was a blast and the Martin House, where I stayed, was superb!!!!!!!

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled with friends
3  Thank LovesToTravelTo
sherinnnantucket, owner at Sherburne Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 May 2007

We were horrified and extremely disappointed upon reading this very unfavorable review. As evidenced by all previous comments in Trip Advisor reviewing our Inn, our service and guest relations are one of our stellar features in which we take great pride. Sherburne Inn has been rated #1 in Nantucket by Trip Advisor for many years.
This incident occurred “early March” while we were enjoying a much needed escape. We had left our Inn in the hands of an innsitter, whom we had hired with the expectation that he would be professional and courteous at all times. Apparently this was not the case in this instance. We are back now, and we can only apologize to this reviewer for the inappropriate telephone etiquette.
We truly are sorry for their bad telephone experience which is inexcusable, but we feel they have done a great injustice by their overall negative rating without ever having the chance to actually experience the Sherburne Inn.

Reviewed 1 May 2007

The charm of the Inn and the island called us back for a visit. We arrived on island to share in the festivities for The Daffodil Festival. A wonderful celebration to welcome spring. Its a sea of yellow in the attire and all the decorations. Daffodils on every corner and parades, picinics and Daffy hats. An event no one should miss and the Sherburne is the place to rest after all the events. Highly recommend !!!!!!!!!!!!

Stayed: April 2007
1  Thank appleton
Reviewed 4 January 2007

This is a delightful inn run by attentive and caring innkeepers in a perfect location on Nantucket (on a quiet side street only two blocks or so from the center of town). The house is weathered but fresh and well maintained, as one wants and expects on Nantucket; it wears its age as charm. A warm welcome; crisp, high quality sheets; and a glass of complimentary port in the evening: what more could one want.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple
5  Thank MontgomeryTraveler
Reviewed 3 January 2007

Although we live in Central New York, we travel to Nantucket several times a year to visit family that lives there year around. Having been to the island so often over the years, we find it best to stay with our family members during the summer tourist season. Among so many lodging choices, in the off season The Sherburne Inn is our favorite. The Hamiltons are gracious hosts, have lovely rooms, nice amenities, and tasty breakfasts. We recommend it highly.

• Stayed: December 2006, travelled as a couple