“Children are allowed but NOT welcome”

Cliffside Beach Club
Ranked #10 of 14 Hotels in Nantucket
New York
“Children are allowed but NOT welcome”
Reviewed 8 September 2008

Children are allowed but NOT welcome. Being both pregnant and the mother of a 3 year old - I would not recommend this resort to other families with children. Immediately upon entering the lobby - there was a library atmosphere and I was uncomfortable (knowing my child is not a mute). The beach is small - if your toddler runs around like mine - they can be off the beach and into a busy parking lot in seconds. We were chastized by the staff because our child sat down behind one of the umbrellas. The umbrella was vacated but we were told it was for one of the rooms. We stayed in one of the rooms with direct access to the beach. The room was small with brown carpeting and old paneling for the cabinetry - no microwave or coffee machine (a mothers best friend). There was no bath tub or even a small handheld shower head so I could wash my child. There is a shower (with hand held spray) near the fitness center but I was told no children allowed. The pool is advertised as heated but it is kept very cold and I wasn't the only one to notice this. Since we had a child - we could only swim in the mornings for the 2 hours children are allowed. Being that it is colder in the morning - the pool was somewhat unpleasant. I did call the front desk and they did not want to do anything about the temperature. The pool area itself is gorgeous. The place is clean beyond belief - the staff is constantly cleaning (it actually can get annoying). They do offer a breakfast but its really equivalent to a cheap motel continental breakfast. Other than that - our room was near the restaurant so the smell of constant cooking (fried fish, meat) is very nauseating for a pregnant lady. I would recommend this place if your older without children. It is very quiet, clean and the staff want to carry everything for you. There is a small bay beach so if you have trouble walking on sand and want quiet water (yes even the water was quiet) - this place is for you. If you want activities, a lighter/happier atmosphere, or have children - I would find another resort. Considering how precious vacation days are and the cost - you can do much better.

• Liked — There are books available to read for guests.
  • Disliked — Child unfriendly.
  • Stayed September 2008, travelled with family
12 Thank Maggie089

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
NYC
Reviewed 2 September 2008

I loved this whole experience! I agree with all of the positive reviews of this wonderful property. This is home for me on this island! Very nice, accommodating owners as well as the staff. The facilities are gorgeous. I will be back next year. I wish I could have gotten enough time away to stay there longer. The only place that would top this would be your own house duplicating all of the details-beautiful public areas in the club house, the beach outside your door, pools, health club, turn of the century updated bathhouses, restaurant, (one of the best on the island) and above all, a very comfortable room with plenty of light. I also enjoyed making friends with other guests.

• Liked — everything
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
5 Thank DesignerB
travlnbuckeye
Reviewed 1 July 2008

We just returned from a week's stay in Nantucket. We stayed in town at an inn the first 4 nights and switched to the Cliffside for the last 3 since, at the time of booking, Cliffside only had the later dates available. We LOVED this place. The service was phenomenal! All staff were very friendly and accommodating. I've never stayed anywhere where the service was as good (not even The Breakers in Palm Beach compares). The rooms were nice sizes and, having been renovated in recent years, were quite luxurious for a beach resort. The carpet was in great shape, all counter tops were granite, the shower was granite with ceramic tiled floors and the room even had a flat panel t.v. The leather couch was also a great touch so that you could lounge without lying on the bed. Bedding was luxurious and bed was super comfortable. Views were spectacular and we could literally step out of our room 5 steps and be in sand. The Galley restaurant, while pricey, was wonderful. I only had two complaints and the first was that, due to some type of law/code, the hot tub was not open past 5 or 6 p.m., along with the pools. We were really looking forward to a late evening soak in the jacuzzi but were never able to do so due to the fact that it closed so early. My second complaint was that on our last morning when we had to get up at 5:45 a.m. for an early flight, we had no hot water. I tried to call the front desk and only then realized that the desk is not staffed during the overnight hours. My husband awoke about a half hour later and he had hot water so I'm not sure if there is a timer on the hot water that kicked on at 6 a.m. or what.

Other than those two things.....fantastic stay!

• Liked — service and location
  • Disliked — none
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled as a couple
2 Thank travlnbuckeye
Massachusetts
Reviewed 1 July 2008

Children under 15 are allowed in the pool area from 10-12:30 only!!!
This information is not posted on the website, nor told to guests when booking the room, Wanted to post this information so others would not be disappointed/heartbroken upon arrival.

• Liked — The lifeguards, beach guys, cleaning staff, bellhops were extraordinarily nice, friendly, pleasant, cheerful!
  • Disliked — Extremely limited pool hours for children
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled with family
14 Thank PlannerMom543
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 15 September 2007

My husband and I stayed at the Cliffside for 3 nights as part of our pre-baby getaway. This place is unreal - we could literally step onto the beach from our room. The umbrellas and beach chairs made lounging on the beach perfect for a pregnant lady! Our room was very nice with great bath products and a mini fridge. My husband loved sitting on the leather couch to gaze out at the water from the open window. Nantucket Town is an easy (and quite charming) mile walk away. We walked frequently and enjoyed the cottages lining the road. Cabs are also easy to come by in town and the hotel will call one for you. For us, we liked the close proximity to town with the bonus of the beach out our back door. The staff was quick to help with anything and dinner at The Galley, which sits on the property, was amazing. The pool area is also gorgeous. Would definitely recommend for those seeking to get away from it all and still have reasonable access to town.

• Liked — setting
  • Stayed September 2007, travelled as a couple
6 Thank travlgrl28
Indiana
Reviewed 5 August 2006

My husband, 19 year old daughter and I stayed at the Cliffside for three nights in July. Our room had been recently renovated with granite countertops and shower. It wasn't huge but just fine. The beach was lovely. Beach chairs are set up for you by the beach boys who separate the families with children from the ones without so we sat in a nice quiet section of the beach. They just added a beautiful pool area as well. There is a nice restaurant next to the property called The Galley. It is not part of the hotel but is popular with guests and non guests although it is quite pricey. Continental breakfast is provided which included the usual fare--bagels, cereal, coffee, juice, etc. If you like, you can have lunch delivered to you on the beach. Just let one of the "beach boys" know and they will place your order for you from a restaurant called "Pronto" located in town. Prices were extremely reasonable. Nantucket town is an easy mile walk away where you will find wonderful restaurants (American Seasons, Club Car, Languedoc) as well as plenty of shopping.
We had great weather which made our trip all the better. By the way, we flew to Nantucket from Boston via Cape Air (a nine seater plane). I am not a great flyer but the 45 minute flight was truly enjoyable. It was a fine little getaway. I recommend it highly.

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — lack of nearby food market
  • Stayed July 2006, travelled with family
8 Thank thehirt
montreal, ca
Reviewed 14 June 2005

I recently spent a night at the Cliffside. The hotel is right on a beach. You can get a room with a balcony that opens up onto the beach or even a room that looks out onto the beach. The hotel is very small, and rooms are not luxurious, but perfect for right on the beach.

• Stayed June 2005