“Can't say enough”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Nantucket
Cliffside Beach Club
Ranked #11 of 14 Hotels in Nantucket
Reviewed 31 August 2014

The grounds are kept meticulously. The location on the beach cannot be beat. The service is impeccable. And the proximity to town is fantastic. My husband and I have traveled to some of the most luxurious locations in the country and abroad too. This is one we will come back to for sure. We are considering returning next August for our 10-year wedding anniversary, in fact. The people at the front desk are wonderful. The gentleman at the beach are incredibly helpful. The details they have covered here would impress anyone. My husband thought it was a negative that they didn't have other food options on site, but they have a continental breakfast that would suit anyone and the galley restaurant right next door for lunch. The town is also very close. We walked every day and multiple times a day.

We will back because the people at the Cliffside made our trip so special. Thank you.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled as a couple
5  Thank NYFoodie8971
Robert C, Owner at Cliffside Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 30 May 2015

Glad you had a wonderful time with us! It's great to hear that everything from our service to our breakfast made such a big impression on you (especially considering your other travels), and I really appreciate your compliments. I hope we'll see you again this summer!

Reviewed 24 August 2014

As many reviewers wrote, the location of this hotel is lovely... right on a beautiful wide beach. The location is also convenient to town (only a mile away.) The staff is generally helpful.
Now the cons ..
The price for our 2 bd, 2 bath beachhouse was >$2k/night. At that level, everything should be impeccable and perfect. We definitely did not find it so! On the first morning, we ran out of hot water. My husband took a very short shower and I took about a 10 minute shower; both of us ran out of hot water. The problem was supposedly addressed after we called, but we had the same problem the next day. Really ... $2k/night room where you repeatedly run out of hot water for a morning shower?
Our refrigerator was not working. On our third day, they replaced it. But again ... really .. a $2k/nt suite with a full kitchen with a non-functioning refrigerator? Shouldn't the cleaning folks have alerted management to this problem so that it would be promptly fixed?
We found the attitude of the management very unfriendly towards children. We have 3 kids age 10 & over. The rules state that kids are not allowed in the pool after 12:30 -- WHY?! We pay $2k/night and aren't allowed in the pool in the afternoon??! On one of our days it rained. We went to the pool in the afternoon to check it out. It was empty. We asked the lifeguard if the kids could swim in the pool, even though it was after 12:30 and she said it was OK as long as no other guests came in. So we did; no other guests were there the whole time. The next day, one of the owners came to tell me that they are aware that our children were in the pool in the afternoon and I should be grateful that they made an exception for us since we had had problems with the hot water and the fridge. Geez .. who's doing who a favor at this hotel?
We agree with other reviewers that the restaurant onsite is vastly over-priced for it's limited and unimaginative menu. We would have loved to eat there to enjoy the convenience and the view, but didn't even consider it after reading the reviews online and seeing the menu.
We checked out the regular hotel rooms on property and found them to be very dark, small and unwelcoming. Would not recommend!
And here's our final and biggest complaint: We put up with the various issues graciously because we liked the location and intended to give it another try next year. A lot to put up with but maybe we'd get luckier next year. I received a call that we wouldn't be welcomed back next year! On our last day there, I got in an argument with someone who had parked in our spot. The hotel very clearly has well-marked reserved parking spots. Our spot was taken when I returned with a bunch of bags; it was inconvenient. I got in an argument with the person who parked there. Instead of standing by their reserved parking spot rule, they are not welcoming back our family ... as if I am the transgressor .. because I got in a 60 second argument with the person in our spot. The person who took our spot was visiting someone who rents at the hotel for a month (so should clearly know the parking situation); We were told that we are not allowed to return at the same time as the month long guest .... we were there only 4 nights ... so we are the second class citizens!
The Nantucket attitude abounds at this hotel ... pay the high price and consider yourself lucky to stay with them.... doesn't matter if you don't have enough hot water for two showers or if your fridge doesn't work or if your kids aren't allowed in the pool or if the suite is small or the towels are thin. If you're not a long time Nantucket patron, best of luck to you because you will be treated like a second class citizen!

Room Tip: Do NOT choose the regular hotel rooms - dark, small! Beach houses are newer and the only acceptable...
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
36  Thank IFM5
ackbeach, Owner at Cliffside Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 13 January 2015

As the reviewer correctly points out, they did stay in one of our brand new Beach House Residences. The hot water system was checked out by our general manager and he could not find any problems, Except for this incident, it has worked perfectly. Once made aware of the problem with the refrigerator, we offered to refrigerate any food items and got to work trying to solve the problem. Nantucket's charm as an island sometimes works against rapid resolution of problems. However, we were able to expedite delivery of a new refrigerator during the guest's stay. Unfortunately, the reviewer's comment about Cliffside being unfriendly towards children is just not true. We do have rules about pool use (clearly stated during the reservation process and on our web site). We have found that rules for children, which protect the kids from harassment (when they are just being kids) and allow the adults the opportunity to enjoy a relaxing vacation, seem to work for everyone. Some of our most loyal clients have been coming for years with their children (as evidenced by numerous reviews on Tripadvisor). While the reviewer's recommendation for the Beach House Residences is appreciated, the comments regarding the hotel rooms do not ring true. Obviously, the hotel rooms are smaller than a townhouse style residence. All the hotel rooms have cathedral ceilings, lovely views of the beach and water and range in size from 300 to 350 square feet. Our Beachfront Hotel rooms have been renovated for the 2015 season and feature heated soapstone floors, curved wooden ceilings, all new bathrooms and lovely private decks sitting right on the beach. Finally, the parking incident was unfortunate. Perhaps, the guest leaving a profanity-laden note on the car parked in the wrong spot was not the appropriate way to handle the issue. Parking behind the offending car and then calling the front deck would have averted the subsequent confrontation. Which included a tirade by the guest in the parking lot, complete with language unacceptable for children. We received complaints from three of the surrounding residences. That type of behavior is unacceptable at Cliffside and for that reason, we informed the guest, that they were not welcome back.

Reviewed 22 July 2014

Ok, prepare yourself. This place is not inexpensive, or even moderately priced. No two ways about it, it is expensive. But SO worth it.

The view is amazing. The service is impeccable. I once had a minor health issue that needed a doctor. I asked at the desk if there was a drop in clinic on the island. There is not. They recommended the ER. I went and sat with my husband to discuss how we'd get to the ER,
etc. Then one of the owners came up to me, said she was on the phone with a doctor's office and could get me an appointment that day, and did I want her to make the appointment. Seriously, I have never experienced such service. This is the most dramatic, but not the only example of their amazing service. I often feel that, if it is legal, moral, and humanly possible, they will do anything you need.

The lobby is warm and inviting. We've been coming here almost every year for over 10 years and every year it gets better. Just a mile walk into town. They rake the sand every morning to remove the seaweed!

Bear in mind that this hotel is more for adults than families. Children are allowed, but they don't have a lot of kid friendly features, other than the beach. The pool time for kids is very limited. If your kids are ok with the incredible ocean right outside your door instead of the pool, not a problem.

Reservations are hard to get. This hotel is quite small in number of room.

Room Tip: The rooms facing the ocean have a perfect view, but the ones on the side have a good view too and ar...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank TravelForUS2
Robert C, Owner at Cliffside Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 2 June 2015

Great to hear from you! Believe me when I say that I look forward to each guest's visit as much as they do, and it's wonderful to know that our service, rooms, and scenery make every trip worthwhile (as for the kids, the beach is always more than enough to keep them satisfied). Your support really means a lot to us, and I look forward to seeing you again soon!

Reviewed 28 June 2014

Cliffside's location is unique and lovely: the rooms are steps from one of Nantucket's most desirable North shore beaches. And it's obvious that a lot of care has gone into the design and maintenance of the property. The owner lives on the premises and apparently runs a tight ship. It's quite something to witness the military like precision in which the colorful umbrellas are placed on the sands each morning. And then the beach is policed clean by a squad of young men.

Our beachfront suite was attractively furnished with interesting artwork. Bedroom was small but bed very comfortable. A small porch overlooks the beach and Nantucket sound, a great place to watch a sunset. A couple of minor problems were instantly and cheerfully attended to. Service overall is friendly and excellent. Even a somewhat quirky request of ours was granted without argument. (A spotlight on the roof of our row of rooms was turned on at dusk, illuminating the beach. We asked that it be turned off; in our opinion it obscured the evening sky.) They had no problem with this.

Another unique amenity is the beautiful pool area, featuring a lap pool and regular 20 x 40 pool, heated to a very comfortable level. There is also an exceptional gym for those addicted to such things.

Minor quibbles: sandpaper-like towels need replacement. Would be nice to have more than one copy of newspapers available for those of us who prefer the quaint custom of reading an actual print paper. Breakfast OK but nothing special: could use some fresh fruit and some more variety.

Major problems: Except for two suites in the back, there is little privacy. This is basically an L shaped motel (albeit an elegant one), and so quarters are close. Guests or staff frequently walked close by our room.

Another problem is noise. Cell phones are forbidden at the beach and pool, and at these prices, you are unlikely to have rowdy neighbors. However a very busy restaurant, The Galley Beach, lies less than 100 yards away. This place emits a very audible buzz and clatter at lunch and at dinner, to 10 pm every day. Yes, you can close your windows or turn on a/c, but still . . .
Room service is available, but it's from the Galley Beach restaurant, a place worth skipping in our opinion. There are far better choices in town. Its only real attraction is its location, which you already have.

If you love the beach you will probably love Cliffside. If privacy and quiet are high priorities, this may not be for you, unless you take one of the back suites.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple
10  Thank elfhill
Robert C, Owner at Cliffside Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2015

Great to hear from you again! It's very nice to know that our service and beachside scenery made for a memorable trip. While there isn't much we can do about the closer quarters, I assure you we do everything we're able to protect our guests' peace and privacy (I'd love to hear any suggestions for improvements in this regard, too). Despite these setbacks, I appreciate your sharing some fond memories with us, and I hope you'll visit us again someday soon!

Reviewed 3 June 2014

Just returned from a 3-day getaway to the Cliffside to celebrate a special occasion. First time to Nantucket but definitely not our last. Cliffside was better than expected. Pricey but well worth it - highly recommend. The location, service (esp. front desk) and attention to detail is all top notch. If you want to be on the beach, look no further. Great gym and out of the wind secluded heated pool. Outside of town but still convenient. Galley restaurant next door is a primo location but lacking on service. Thanks for the lock:)

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank MAtraveler73
Robert C, Owner at Cliffside Beach Club, responded to this reviewResponded 3 June 2015

Thanks so much for checking in with us! It's great to know that our amenities, service, and helped you make the most of your special occasion. Your support means a lot to us, and I hope you'll be able to visit us in Nantucket again someday soon!

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We always choose this hotel for our annual, "honeymoon" trip (25 years and counting). And with so many hotels to choose from, in so many great places in the world, it can be a difficult decision. But, Cliffside never disappoints. This year our Gold Coast apartment was transformed into a fabulous one-bedroom Beach House residence complete with comfy bedroom, marble bathroom, stainless cook's kitchen, and cathedral ceilings. The look is Nantucket chic flavored with crisp accents, which we found to be a soothing environment in which to decompress. The first thing I did upon entering my residence was to open the French doors and breathe in that famous salt-tinged sea air. I couldn't wait to throw off my shoes and rush out to stick my toes in the beautifully groomed and private sandy beach. The seagulls were floating on a breeze just above the dune next to our room and we could hear their calls over the gentle lapping of the ocean. We then planned our stay with a focus on restoring, renewing and finding the best chowder on the island. During our stay, the friendly hotel staff was expert in meeting our needs (as usual), but I especially appreciated the well-trained spa personnel because my back went out on Day 4 (caused by mistakenly thinking I was 30 again) and I was fortunate enough to be the recipient of the best therapeutic massage of all time. And yes, cell phones do not work well on this part of the island, as noted in some of the reviews, but there's WiFi and we were too busy falling in love all over again to care.

Room Tip: When you make your reservation, ask Monique for her advice on which room to rent. She will take very...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GinG76
Reviewed 30 September 2013

Great welcome by the staff when we arrived and the beach house we stayed in was fantastic and right on the stunning beach. We were lucky and the weather was amazing so we ended up spending more time on the beach than we had planned to but it's so perfect it seemed silly not to.
My one criticism would be that there is no room service or mini bar and that if you want food it has to be from the Galley. The food is pretty good in the Galley but some of the staff leave a lot to be desired and don't reflect that of the friendly and helpful staff at the hotel. That said for the location alone we would definitely go back again as we had a fantastic time. Beware of 'wedding weekends' as these tend to take over the place.

Room Tip: Beach house 203 is fantastic and right on the beach
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple