“My new home on Nantucket”

House of the Seven Gables
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nantucket
House of the Seven Gables
Ranked #29 of 38 Nantucket B&B and Inns
Reviewed 25 July 2011

I lived on Nantucket for nearly 10 years and since leaving have stayed in a number of guest houses and this was by far my favorite. I will stay here from now on, no need to look further. The rooms were clean, bed comfortable and I slept so soundly, even though Nantucket was in the middle of a heat wave. No air conditioning in the room that I stayed in but it was cool in the night. The bathroom was enormous and the water pressure in the shower was amazing!

The breakfast that was served in my room was delicious and bountiful, I didn't expect such a big choice of very good breakfast treats. I had a problem with the internet and Dottie called in someone to take a look at the inn's connection and personally came up to my room to see if it got working again. Which it did.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Beaupeep99
There are newer reviews for House of the Seven Gables

Reviewed 19 July 2011

If you are looking for a clean, reasonably priced, friendly place to stay, you need to stay here at the House of the Seven Gables. Our hostess, Dottie, made sure that everything was perfect with our stay. My sisters and I enjoyed the house and the bedrooms, and we especially loved the delicious breakfast that Dottie served us out back in the gardens.
The B & B was a close walk to town and the wharf. The rooms were quiet, historic, and comfortable. We stayed in three nice rooms on the second floor. The ocean breeze was delightful in every room. We will certainly stay here again during our next visit to Nantucket. You can't go wrong with this excellent property!

Room Tip: Room sizes vary with location, so be sure to let them know what you most desire.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank kmfitzgerald
Reviewed 14 July 2011

This is the second time my wife and I have stayed at the Inn and we loved it both times. Very quiet a bit off from town on CLIFF road, this is a great spot. It's about a 10min walk to get to downtown and unlike other inns its also a 10-15 min walk in the other direction to get to jetties beach. Its also just a 3min walk from Something Natural one of the best sandwich/salad/bakeries on the island.

Jetties has a restaurant and bar right on the beach so it's nice to be able to walk 10mins to get a drink and watch the beach as the sun goes down(it doesn't face sunset but still pretty).

Every morning a nice continental breakfast is served to your room with great coffee and a nice little assortment of pasties and bagels, etc.. The beds are VERY comfortable with a thick memory foam topper and great pillows. We stayed in room 11 both times(this yr and 2009) and love the private sitting area and own bath.

The staff remembered our names and the last time we had visited. While I see what other reviews have said that they aren't exactly throwing confetti when you arrive, i personally like the minimal attention which allows us to just do our own thing. At the same time anytime we ever needed anything they were there to provide it right away and are always so nice.

We will definitely be coming back again, and imo the price of the rooms here along with location are the best you can get this close to everything.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gleeksquad
Reviewed 2 July 2011

stayed here innSuite 13 ... No bad luck associated with that! my husband and teen daughter stayed in this room which was very comfy and welcoming; we were on theisland visiting our daughter who is there for the summer with Coastie boyfriend. Room is nicely furnished ... Beds were COMFORTABLE! ... Continental breakfast served on patio or in your room is a treat. There were 3 minor negatives: Lack of electrical outlets was difficult for 3 laptops/Ipad and 3 phones to recharge. Bring a power strip, and you're all set. No electric outlets in the bathroom ... Made for difficult/impossible hair curling and drying. Power strip in bedroom will also solve that problem. The final negative could be more significant: the private bath located across the hall (kinda neat, really!) had only a shower, and a very bad one at that. It's very, very tiny and dark and the shower head needs to be replaced so that it adequately distributes the water. Other than that, the bathroom is nice and roomy and very quaint.

We'd go back! We'd definately pack a powerstrip (which I think I'll now do all the time!)

Room Tip: The photos shown on the web are accurate!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Spikesgirl87
Reviewed 17 May 2011

I think that for the price, this is an okay place to stay, but I would have just as soon paid a little more for a better room and better hospitality. When we arrived we were cooly greeted by Dotty, who while not rude, certainly doesn't know how to make one feel welcome. She let us into our room, and told us about breakfast. That;s pretty much it. The room was freezing cold and when I asked if we could get some heat in there, she said something along the lines of "I'll see about it. I didn't think about guests being cold." She did turn the heat on and also got me an extension cord for my hair dryer when I asked, as there is no outlet in the bathroom. The room was on the ground floor and facing the street. It's a little dark and doesn't feel very private, as it opens right into the reception and front door area. If someone does opt to stay here, I'd suggest getting a room upstairs.

Breakfast the next day was lackluster. Though the website claims the muffins are fresh-baked, they tasted store bought and artificial. The coffee was also a disappointment. Right before we left, a friendlier person greeted me and expressed her disappointment that we could only stay one night. I can't remember her name, but perhaps she's the owner. She seemed quite nice and it was a very pleasant encounter. She could give Dotty a few pointers.

The house itself is old and interesting. One definitely has the feel of being in old Nantucket, sloping floors, musty antiques, and cold rooms. Not a bad place, just not that great. On the plus side, it's a ten minute walk to the downtown.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank BostonCate
Reviewed 5 April 2011

We called to cancel our weekend due to Hurricane Earl and they refused even though the Steamship Authority cancelled ferry service on Friday. Dorothy's response was that they don't cancel rooms because of a "rain and wind storm". Well guess what - they don't "name" rain and wind storms, they name hurricanes.
Bad policy - Greedy is the word.

Stayed: September 2010, travelled with family
5  Thank ZWdude
Reviewed 7 September 2010

The room was quaint and the staff friendly but they need to change their refund policy.
The airlines notified us that Hurricane Earl would probably cancel our flights and suggested that we change our flights. House of Seven Gables charged us for 2 nights that we didn't stay. Like they were really going to sell those rooms with a hurricane bearing down on the island.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple