“Be Forewarned”

House of the Seven Gables
We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nantucket
House of the Seven Gables
Ranked #29 of 38 Nantucket B&B and Inns
Reviewed 10 January 2012

I’ll begin by saying I haven’t stayed at HOSG. So if you want descriptions of the place and its facilities, this article won’t provide them. If you care about the integrity and ethics of the people with whom you do business, read on.

I made a reservation for Friday and Saturday nights, August 27th and 28th, 2011. I was coming from California and had a limited amount of time on the east coast.

Earlier that week the news was all about Hurricane Irene. I watched it hour by hour for the 3 or 4 days prior to my arrival date. I learned the storm was big, strong and headed right for the northeast including Massachusetts, Nantucket Island’s home state.
I waited for the storm to decrease in size or change course but it didn’t. On Friday morning the President was urging people to get out of harm’s way, move away from the coastal areas in the path of the storm. Massachusetts Governor Duval Patrick was saying the same thing. Don’t take any chances.

I called the HOSG and said that based on the information I had at that time, it would be risky for me to take the 30+ mile ferry trip to the low-lying island. The woman I spoke with became instantly confrontational. She told me I had been informed the inn had a no cancellation policy. She said under the circumstances, she could offer me two mid-week nights as compensation but that was it. .
I was heading back to CA anyway and couldn’t stay during the week. I either showed up or I lost my $500+.

The conversation degenerated into me threatening to have American Express cancel the charge. She had obviously been through this before. Actually, she told me that was the case.
Amex didn’t refund my money.

I don’t know what you call it when someone takes your hard earned money and gives you nothing in return but I call it larceny. The woman who runs this place is nothing better than a common thief, someone who sticks a knife in someone’s ribs and takes their wallet. Having Amex back her up does not make what she did right. I’m not done with Amex yet but I wanted to get this information out in hopes it can keep someone from making the same mistake I made.

If you think a despicable person like this would steal my money and not steal yours, think again.

Stayed: August 2011, travelled solo
14  Thank Harry M

Reviewed 7 January 2012

This past summer I stayed at the Seven Gables with my husband and daughter we loved every minute! Easy walk to town and the beach! Step Beach is the best beach on the island!! Rooms are cozy, comfy and clean. We enjoyed breakfast each day on the patio and the beautiful gardens.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank Jennifer W
Reviewed 5 September 2011

We are frequent visitors to the island, and stay at the same places all the time. I decided to look for something a little different, and quaint. We definitely found it.
If you are looking to avoid some of the pretentious clientele that is all over ACK, this is a great place to do so. My one and only request with simpler hotels and BBs is cleanliness.
The ladies of the Inn keep the rooms spotless, I honestly felt like I was at home. They brought in a delicious breakfast tray with fresh coffee, toast and muffins right to the door. A really nice touch...
I highly recommend this spot, an incredible value on Nantucket.

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank DNB25
Reviewed 25 July 2011

I lived on Nantucket for nearly 10 years and since leaving have stayed in a number of guest houses and this was by far my favorite. I will stay here from now on, no need to look further. The rooms were clean, bed comfortable and I slept so soundly, even though Nantucket was in the middle of a heat wave. No air conditioning in the room that I stayed in but it was cool in the night. The bathroom was enormous and the water pressure in the shower was amazing!

The breakfast that was served in my room was delicious and bountiful, I didn't expect such a big choice of very good breakfast treats. I had a problem with the internet and Dottie called in someone to take a look at the inn's connection and personally came up to my room to see if it got working again. Which it did.

Highly recommended!

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled solo
2  Thank Beaupeep99
Reviewed 19 July 2011

If you are looking for a clean, reasonably priced, friendly place to stay, you need to stay here at the House of the Seven Gables. Our hostess, Dottie, made sure that everything was perfect with our stay. My sisters and I enjoyed the house and the bedrooms, and we especially loved the delicious breakfast that Dottie served us out back in the gardens.
The B & B was a close walk to town and the wharf. The rooms were quiet, historic, and comfortable. We stayed in three nice rooms on the second floor. The ocean breeze was delightful in every room. We will certainly stay here again during our next visit to Nantucket. You can't go wrong with this excellent property!

Room Tip: Room sizes vary with location, so be sure to let them know what you most desire.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank kmfitzgerald
Reviewed 14 July 2011

This is the second time my wife and I have stayed at the Inn and we loved it both times. Very quiet a bit off from town on CLIFF road, this is a great spot. It's about a 10min walk to get to downtown and unlike other inns its also a 10-15 min walk in the other direction to get to jetties beach. Its also just a 3min walk from Something Natural one of the best sandwich/salad/bakeries on the island.

Jetties has a restaurant and bar right on the beach so it's nice to be able to walk 10mins to get a drink and watch the beach as the sun goes down(it doesn't face sunset but still pretty).

Every morning a nice continental breakfast is served to your room with great coffee and a nice little assortment of pasties and bagels, etc.. The beds are VERY comfortable with a thick memory foam topper and great pillows. We stayed in room 11 both times(this yr and 2009) and love the private sitting area and own bath.

The staff remembered our names and the last time we had visited. While I see what other reviews have said that they aren't exactly throwing confetti when you arrive, i personally like the minimal attention which allows us to just do our own thing. At the same time anytime we ever needed anything they were there to provide it right away and are always so nice.

We will definitely be coming back again, and imo the price of the rooms here along with location are the best you can get this close to everything.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
2  Thank gleeksquad
Reviewed 2 July 2011

stayed here innSuite 13 ... No bad luck associated with that! my husband and teen daughter stayed in this room which was very comfy and welcoming; we were on theisland visiting our daughter who is there for the summer with Coastie boyfriend. Room is nicely furnished ... Beds were COMFORTABLE! ... Continental breakfast served on patio or in your room is a treat. There were 3 minor negatives: Lack of electrical outlets was difficult for 3 laptops/Ipad and 3 phones to recharge. Bring a power strip, and you're all set. No electric outlets in the bathroom ... Made for difficult/impossible hair curling and drying. Power strip in bedroom will also solve that problem. The final negative could be more significant: the private bath located across the hall (kinda neat, really!) had only a shower, and a very bad one at that. It's very, very tiny and dark and the shower head needs to be replaced so that it adequately distributes the water. Other than that, the bathroom is nice and roomy and very quaint.

We'd go back! We'd definately pack a powerstrip (which I think I'll now do all the time!)

Room Tip: The photos shown on the web are accurate!
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family