“Best place to stay on the island!!”
Review of Nantucket Inn

Nantucket Inn
Ranked #7 of 14 Hotels in Nantucket
Newburyport, Massachusetts
“Best place to stay on the island!!”
Reviewed 10 June 2013

I cannot say enough AMAZING things about the Nantucket Inn. From before we even checked in the interactions we had with them via Facebook had us fully confident our stay was going to great! We went down the weekend of 5/31-6/2 for mine and my husband's birthdays as we have grown to love Nantucket from our first trip last year. We arrived and were greeted by huge smiles at the front desk and was given a tour upon checking in. For our birthdays we were even upgraded to a cottage room which was FANTASTIC!!! The room was very spacious, lovely fireplace, styled so beautifully with a huge bathroom and a separate vanity area with sink which is a MUST HAVE for us women who tend to take a bit longer to get ready. ;) A bit after we had checked in we rcv'd a knock at our door where we rcv'd a welcome gift which included a voucher to be used at one of 3 wonderful restaurants in town. As an added bonus we rcv'd cake with a candle, yummy cookies and brownies for our birthday with a card with warm wishes for our birthdays. The grounds are gorgeous and the whole inn is styled so beautiful we took pictures of almost every room. PLUS it's the only place on the island with their own indoor pool!! Bonus!! Mom's breakfast is PHENOMANAL!! It was one of the best I have ever had at a hotel or inn. My husband and I sat outside and enjoyed some fresh air while we ate eggs benedict, sausage, waffles, fresh fruit, home fries and more. Every staff member we encountered had a smile on their face and was so pleasant, it was if you were staying with family. The only downfall of the stay, we had to leave after only 3 days!! We will be sure to make the Nantucket Inn the only place we stay when on the island and plan to tell all of our friends and family. Thank you Nantucket Inn for everything!! Aimee & Jason Rivera

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Aimee R
ScottWThomas, General Manager at Nantucket Inn, responded to this review, 26 June 2013
Thank you so much Aimee and Jason! It was a pleasure to welcome you to Nantucket to celebrate your birthdays. We look forward to your next visit!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Reviewed 8 June 2013

Just completed another annual week long vacation to the island of Nantucket. My wife, 5 year old son, and I love the Island and all that it has to offer. We rent a jeep each time we come so that we can ride the beaches to Great Point Lighthouse, to Alter Rock, the moors and bogs, etc. Needless to say Nantucket is not a car/vehicle friendly place when it comes to parking. The Nantucket Inn, unlike virtually all the other B&B, Inns, and guest houses, has plenty of free parking. I don't have to worry about getting up early in the morning to move the car so I don't get a parking ticket....Which in itself is a cottage industry onto itself on island. Even if one doesn't have a car for their stay on the island, the Nantucket Inn has regular courtesy van shuttles daily to town, Surfside beach, the Steamship boats, etc. Each year we take a boat ride to Cape Cod for a day, and it's a luxury to be able to leave our jeep at the Inn and use their shuttle service to take us to and back from the the ships. My point is that the Nantucket Inn with it's more then amble parking, and excellent regular daily van shuttle sevice provides the traveler a lot of peace of mind, options, and convinance.
Their complimentary "Mom's Breakfast" is a great plus and value. It's not your continental breakfast of only muffins, cereal, and coffee. It is instead a hearty all you can eat of cooked eggs, sausage, bacon, cornbeef hash, french toast,potato's, fresh made waffles, juices, tea, coffee, fruit, donuts, etc, etc. It's a very nice breakfast and some items change daily so their is variety. Can you get a better breakfast on the island, sure you can, but it's going to cost you in terms of money, time and travel. We enjoy being able to roll out of bed, and take that short walk through the Inn and have the option of eating indoor or alfresco on their upper deck overlooking the island and it's tiny little airport and planes that harken's to a simpler time.
The weather can be a little unpredictable in nantucket, and with having a youngster, it's wonderful to be able to use their large indoor swimming pool for those times when it's too cold or wet outside and you've used up the Whaling and Shipwreck Museum as your bad weather options.
I was happy to see this year that the cottage that we had a year before recieved a nice facelift with a new flatscreen TV, New bed spreads, linen, tasteful panting, etc. Because I was surprized recently during my stay at a up scale hotel in New Orleans to find that they charged for internet connection, I'll mention it here that the Nantucket Inn provides free internet connection. The rooms are clean and tasteful, and although they may not be up to the level of some of the elite resorts (ie. Wauwinet, White Elephant), they are more then adequate in providing a resting place for oneself after a day of exploring the magical island of Nantucket.
Happy to see some updates to my former room, I was also pleased that the some things had not changed. I was happy to see many of the same warm and friendly staff at the Inn from my previous stay.
Because of the value in cost and what you get for your $ here at the Nantucket Inn, I'm able to visit the island more often and have money to spend at all the great restaurants and shops in the island. That's important because visiting Nantucket is not cheap!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Man4allseasons
Nantucket Inn, General Manager at Nantucket Inn, responded to this review, 15 June 2013
"man4allseasons" we were so happy to welcome you and your family back to Nantucket and the Nantucket Inn - and we are most grateful for your very honest assessment of you visit with us. We were thrilled to hear that you enjoyed the improvements to the cottage guests rooms. Based on the feedback so far, it seems like we are on the right track and we can't wait to start another batch - hopefully this off-season! Thank you again. And we look forward to your next visit.
East Bridgewater, Massachusetts
Reviewed 4 June 2013

My wife and I took advantage of the before season special while staying 6/1-6/3. What a nice time of year here on this island. This is also about as good of a deal you will get all year too. We received a $50 voucher to one of the three restaurants. (Please see my review for AK Diamonds) as well as vouchers for complimentary breakfasts each morning of each of us to Mom's.

Trip Advisor does not recognize Mom's as a Nantucket Restaurant for some reason so here is my separate review: This is a full breakfast buffet with just about everything offered and everything tastes very good and is at the right temperature. They have scrambled eggs, home fries, bacon, sausages, pancakes one morning/french toast the next, homemade belgium waffles, bagels, toast, cereals, pastries, donuts, coffee, orange and cranberry juice and milk.
The service is good (topping coffees off and removing plates). Highly recommend.

Back to the regularly scheduled review of Nantucket Inn: The hotel's shuttles are to Surfside Beach (See my review if you like) and to Downtown. The driver's are courteous and prompt. The time of season (early June) allows for this, where as in the busy season, a 6 minute trip to downtown may take 30-45 minutes. The shuttles will also pick you up at the Steamship Authority terminal and bring you back there as well. A word of advice: Take the shuttle one hour early if you have a time obligation. You can walk around downtown and kill an hour if you have to. It isn't worth the added pressure of seeing the shuttle line of people growing and wondering if you will make it on time to your destination.

The Hotel's staff is very helpful. The Hotel has a nice indoor pool and hot tub, though the hot tub's jets come from the bottom of the tub, not from the sides. If that is the worst of it, we are in pretty good shape here at this hotel. The room was adequate, though the flat screen TV could be hung on the wall or a little higher at least so when you are watching from the bed you won't have to keep your feetsies down. Put the feetsies up and it obstructs view. Two sinks are nice to have and there is a mini fridge under one of them. Very nice courtyards as well.

Overall, early June is a great time on this island as it is not too crowded and the weather is getting really nice. A great place to spend this time of year is at the Nantucket Inn where they absolutely do have pillows in your room.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank tremendousupside
Thank you "tremendousupside"! We recognize you as a discerning traveler and are glad you found the pillow count appropriate for your needs. We very much appreciate your extensive review of the Nantucket Inn as well as a number of other island favorites - including our partners at AK Diamond's! We will be looking forward to your next visit to Nantucket! And thanks again.
Fall River, Ma
Reviewed 4 June 2013

Not sure how other people rated this place so low. The previous year, we stayed at a bed and breakfast on the island and didn't enjoy the small cramped rooms with no air conditioning, no food and a house host who was rarely around for more money a night. We took advantage of the Spring into Summer package and were tremendously impressed with everything. Between the free buffet breakfasts and $50 gift certificate to 1 of 3 restaurants (we went to Queequegs and had an amazing dinner) because we purchased the package and the clean, roomy and cool rooms, we had a great time. It's not the Hilton or anything like that so I can't rate it excellent, but for Nantucket we thought the place was great. Also the front desk was very helpful with questions and opinions about places to go and what to expect. I even called the front desk while on the beach and basically planned our day based on the clerks suggestions and hours of operation of certain things that he knew off the top of his head. The only draw back for some people may be the location and the fact it's a few miles away from down town, but we wanted to rent a Jeep anyway and explore the whole island, so it worked out for us. PLENTY of available parking at the Inn. Despite being across from the airport, it wasn't noisy. Stayed Friday through Sunday and heard a few propeller planes go or land, but if I wasn't paying attention or looking, I probably wouldn't have noticed any. When I return to the island, I will most certainly stay here again.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Gary R
Nantucket Inn, General Manager at Nantucket Inn, responded to this review, 5 June 2013
Thanks Gary! We really appreciate your honest review and are so glad that you enjoyed your stay. Our seasonal package plans offer great value and do sell-out unless you act very quickly. As you know we have just re-opened for the season and sometimes it take a little time to get all the "wrinkles ironed out." But we are thrilled to hear that we are on the right track so far. We hope that we will see you again very soon! Thank you again.
Reviewed 3 June 2013 via mobile

I can't imagine anywhere with a more pleasant or accommodating staff. The hotel itself is in the process of renovations and our room was an as yet unrenovated one. It was however clean and comfortable and we were offered a renovated room for our last night when we had asked about advertised renovations. We declined as we were comfortable enough but it was nice to be offered an upgrade. The downside is being a ways out of the town but the hotel provides frequent and free shuttle service. Overall I would rate a good value for the money. Kudos again to the exceptional staff!

• Stayed May 2013
Thank you CCW! As we always say - it is truly our exceptional staff that sets the Nantucket Inn apart from the rest. And we want you and other readers to know that we do share all guest comments - good and bad - with our staff! (they will be very happy with this one!) We did want to clarify one point for other tripadvisor members. The Nantucket Inn is not currently under renovation. As a seasonal property we undertake various improvement projects during the winter months in order to have everything ready for out summer visitors. This past winter, we painted and wallpapered many rooms and did a pilot program on some bathroom renovations (our cottage rooms). We plan to continue the bathrooms project - among other things - this coming winter. But rest assured the Nantucket Inn is ready and waiting for your arrival! Thanks again!
McLean, VA
Reviewed 2 February 2013

I was torn between one and two stars for this review, but since we were not feeling well and that may have slightly colored our experience to the negative, I am going with a generous two stars. I really do not know where the travelers who posted the four and five star reviews stayed but this place was really a disaster especially for almost $400 a night. We have been going to Nantucket for 7 years now and had typically spent the night in Hyannis before our home rental but this year, based on the ferry schedules, we decided to spend one night in Nantucket. Several hotels were already booked (it is Nantucket in August) and we were fine with a low key night before moving to our house rental for the week....we thought from the reviews that this would be perfect.

Unfortunately, the room smelled musty, the sheets and towels were threadbare, the bathroom had not seen a remodel in at least 20 years and the breakfast buffet was just unfortunate...After a rough night with not pillows and a trickle of a shower, I was looking forward to the "great" breakfast buffet. Unfortunately, the coffee was horrible, the only tea they had was Lipton; my daughter who was not feeling well and had half of an English muffin was charged for kids breakfast buffet even though collective all we had was coffee and two muffins (among 3 people).

Located next to the Nantucket airport, the hotel was also intermittently noisy and the staff at the front desk was completely indifferent.

I could go on and on, but let me just wrap it up by saying that its only redeeming quality is that it is on Nantucket and I would not stay at this hotel again if it were free.

Room Tip: Another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank DiscerningTraveler88
Nantucket Inn, General Manager at Nantucket Inn, responded to this review, 5 February 2013
Thank you "discerning" for your review. We are sorry that we were not able to meet your expectations during your stay with us in August 2012. Frankly we are a bit puzzled by some of your comments (no pillows?) but understand that everyone - as evidenced by many of our other guests and reviewers - has their own criteria for judging their stay. We feel that we offer clean, comfortable accommodations and amenities and at a good value. (yes, a one-night Friday in August on Nantucket can be expensive) We agree that while our bathrooms are clean and modern, they could stand an upgrade. Which is why we are so pleased to announce that we have begun a renovation project to address that issue - set to debut in a select number of rooms in May 2013. We hope that you were able to recuperate in your rental home that you enjoyed the rest of your Nantucket vacation. Thank you again.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 January 2013

We stayed on island last September so we could check in on our building project. We've been coming to the island for the last 25 years and have started on a second house project. I would normally stay in Hyannis and day-trip to the island to check on our house but this time I decided to check out the Inn by the airport. It seemed the convenient thing to do, and certainly being next to the airport for a short trip is helpful.

The reason for writing this review is to comment on the state of our room. There are 2 levels to the Inn, a sprawling set of individual buildings which go back from the road behind the main facility. We were given a ground floor room about 6 buildings back. The room was damp and musty, and the bathroom was in poor shape. The first call we had to make was to get a plumber to unblock the bathtub as our showers had filled it up! But the musty damp of the place made the place feel dirty too, somewhat emphasized by the old bathroom.

We asked if there was a first floor room but apparently none was available. Apparently the Inn was close to sold out; only ground floor rooms remaining. Yet - there were very few cars in evidence. The layout is like a motel, so you'd notice. Certainly it is peak wedding time, so I get that it might have been. I just didn't see anyone.

I called the front desk from the room to sort some of these problems out but no one picked up. So I got in the car and drove to the front desk. They were busy I was told... Hmm. When I was making the reservation initially, I called the hotel but got no answer. I had to book on line, but it didn't give me much confidence.

As for value for money, I'm afraid I felt it was very poor. I do understand Nantucket - that's why I have mentioned our history with the place - but this was a poor experience at a high price. I won't stay here again and will go back to using Hyannis if I'm on a short trip. If the service had been slick, the room had been clean and dry, I wouldn't be spending 15 minutes of my valuable time writing this review.

Room Tip: Don't stay on the ground floor.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank N H
Nantucket Inn, General Manager at Nantucket Inn, responded to this review, 7 January 2013
Thank you for your review NH. And I apologize that we were not able to meet our mutual satisfaction goals. The hotel layout can be deceiving - like you, most of our guests do not bring a car and instead make use of our free shuttle service hence the empty parking lot! - as well as problematic. As all of the rooms open directly onto the outdoor courtyard, conditioning the guest room air can be difficult and does occasionally result in some mustiness. We have just started an renovation project on some of our bathrooms and I would be happy to book one of these new rooms for you on your next visit. Please contact me directly to take advantage of this offer. Until then, I do apologize and I wish you good luck with your new home and many happy years visiting Nantucket.