“It is fine, comfy, not fancy.”
Review of Nantucket Inn

Nantucket Inn
Ranked #8 of 14 Hotels in Nantucket
Reviewed 16 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Inn as part of a bike tour. Although the rooms were comfortable, and I didnt request in advance, I was disappointed in the placement. I use crutches, I should have requested a first floor room in advance, although I can manage stairs when necessary. The hotel didnt have a first floor room when we asked to change from the second because "our rooms were all in the same area"....fair enough. Except they weren't. No one else from our tour group had a room in our building. The area was practically empty....I can't understand why we weren't accommodated. But, it was ok.

Breakfast was pretty standard hotel buffet breakfast. Eggs, bacon, waffles pancakes, muffins, etc. plus one fancier thing (I was biking, so I ignored most of it). Plenty and just fine. Helpful waiters.

The room was small but adequate. Two sinks, one outside the bathroom. Convenient!

Outside pool closed early, but indoor pool was open later. Outdoor hot tub could use a second railing, the top step is extremely steep. Both pools are pleasant. Cold then hot soaks are great for after a hard bike ride!

A nice thing about the inn is that it is easy to find on a minimal bike map....just head towards the airport! I never heard a plane while I was in the hotel. The airport is nicely landscaped with cool sculptures near the Inn. Doesn't disturb the site at all. The grounds were very pretty, greens and flowers in all the courtyards.

There are quiet parking lots between buildings, perfect for our group to get ready and deal with our bikes.

All the staff were extremely helpful, the bartender was confused when I asked him to fill a bag with ice, at first, but complied. (I iced the bruise from the hot tub's high step while waiting for a shuttle)

Not an exciting place, but if I wanted several rooms for my whole family, I suspect that this place would be perfect.

• Stayed: September 2013
ScottWThomas, General Manager at Nantucket Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 19 September 2013

Dear T'smum! We appreciate your frustration in your room placement - especially as you were using crutches. We would ask that guests always inform us of mobility issues prior to arrival as once other guests have checked in, making room changes can be difficult. We are also aware that the property can look vacant with the plentiful parking areas mostly empty! But that is because we do such a good job with our free shuttle service that none of our guests bring their cars! We are very glad you group enjoyed their visit to Nantucket and the Nantucket Inn. Thank you!

Reviewed 16 September 2013

We stayed at the for 3 nights and loved it. Our room was very clean, comfortable, and staff was very friendly and helpful. The Mom's Breakfast was excellent, the buffet was our favorite. We sat outdoors and watch the airplanes. (Right across from the Airport). The Inn is just minutes from downtown shopping and restaurants.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Tesa H
Reviewed 13 September 2013

The Inn is nicely appointed and well maintained. The beds are somewhat dated but ok for a night or two. Getting to and from the Inn is one of the draw backs on staying here. If this is not a problem for you then you can not find a better price for what you get. Breakfast is good and comes with the stay. Again a savings of $20 a person.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
ScottWThomas, General Manager at Nantucket Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 September 2013

Thanks for the nice review WillHenry! We agree that when looking for value, you won't find a better deal on Nantucket! And we want to remind readers that while the Nantucket Inn is located mid-island we offer frequent, free shuttle services between the hotel and the historic downtown as well as Surfside Beach. Along with free transfers to both the airport and ferry dock. We are very glad you enjoyed your visit and look forward to your next stay with us! Thank you!

Reviewed 9 September 2013

We stayed for a week at the end of July. Overall we had a very good time. The staff were very friendly and helpful (Alex , driving the shuttle bus and Sharon and her colleagues at breakfast) The rooms and breakfast were very good and we made use of the indoor and outdoor pools. The hotel also offers a shuttle service which is really good, we used it to go to the beach and town alot. They also took us to the ferry port when we were leaving which was a big help. As a destination Nantucket is a little odd. It seems to me (as an outsider) that the majority of tourists on the island are people/families who come every year and own property. As a result, I didn't find it very "tourist friendly" . There was a real sense of entitlement in many of the restaurants and even at the tourist information office we got a pretty lukewarm reception. The town itself is very pleasant and unique but is plagued by shocking amounts of traffic especially on rainy days. All in all an interesting place but probably not one that I would return to.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
ScottWThomas, General Manager at Nantucket Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 13 September 2013

KagoshimaJohn we appreciate you kind words about your stay at the Nantucket Inn and are very glad you enjoyed your visit with us. We are sorry that you found Nantucket itself not to your liking. July and August are the peak seasons and it was an usually busy summer! While we know it is not feasible for everyone - especially when traveling with children - We recommend the fall shoulder season as a wonderful alternative. The crowds have thinned but the weather is generally wonderful - and the rates drop quite a bit as well! Nantucket really is a very magical place, we hope that you might consider another visit. In the meantime, thank you!

Reviewed 8 September 2013

This is a clean, comfortable hotel that is, literally, across the street from the airport (no need to get the hotel shuttle- just a 2 min walk, door-to-door). We experienced generally good service and enjoyed the complimentary well-stocked breakfast each morning. The shuttle (van) to town leaves the hotel every hour on the hour (and every 30 min after 6 pm). They also offer a shuttle to nearby Surfside Beach. People were very friendly and I would definitely recommend this hotel as a good option for those trying not to break the bank on hotel costs. The indoor and outdoor pools were a plus. We had a very good experience here!

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled on business

sunshinelover we couldn't agree with your review more - thank you!

Reviewed 6 September 2013

This was not the enjoyable Nantucket experience that one looks forward to. The rooms are outdated, in need of cleaning and bedding not very comfortable. All the noise contributed to lack of sleep. Breakfast is similar to what you receive at a Hilton Garden - only without the pleasant staff. Only a couple of restaurants in walking distance (not any decent). They do provide a shuttle, which generally stays on schedule. Front desk staff and shuttle drivers were professional and friendly, however that did not make up for the quality of this so called ' inn '. Very overpriced!! Stay elsewhere for the Nantucket experience!!!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank luvtravel4adventure
ScottWThomas, General Manager at Nantucket Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2013

Dear luvtravel, we are troubled by your review and do apologize that the Nantucket Inn did not live up to your expectations. We noted that you also very favorably reviewed one our in-town B&B colleagues and we wonder if, by comparison, we just weren't a good fit for your needs. As you know part of the charm of Nantucket is the restriction on oversized buildings, so you will (hopefully) never see traditional multi-story hotel on the island - the low rise design interspersed with ample parking and landscaped green spaces - that you describe as a motel - is one of the few large scale designs permitted. And yes, Nantucket in August is expensive. While the vast majority of our guests find our rooms to be immaculately clean and quite comfortable, we will continue to update the property in the upcoming off-season and plan to continue our bathroom renovations along with other improvements that our guests have requested. Thank you for your review and we trust that your future visits to Nantucket will be enjoyable.

Reviewed 3 September 2013

I stayed for one night during Labor Day weekend. After reading pages of glowing reviews, I was expecting something amazing, but I didn't have the same experience as others.

First off, we got very bad directions to our room from the front desk. We walked around lost for a long time. "Just past the lobby" turned into the back building of the property of 8-10 buildings?. Once we found the room, we liked the vaulted ceiling, but as others pointed out, the bedspreads were tired looking and questionably clean. My sister wanted to take a bath, but the tub, of a beige plastic material, was dark with staining (or just not clean--hard to tell). Breakfast was better than average, but our server was tired and rude. When I asked for oatmeal, she could have said "there are packets of instant and I'll bring you hot water." Instead I looked and looked for the oatmeal pot and once I figured out the instant reality, searched for hot water in what appeared to be a "you are on your own with this oatmeal" situation. Another staff member, seeing me walking in circles helped me. He also had some ham-free poached eggs on muffins made for my husband. HE was genuinely kind and helpful. We were three adults and a child in one room, yet we only got two breakfast coupons and had to pay for one of the meals. The fruit bar had canned pineapple and canned mandarin oranges. The watermelon was not at all ripe and the kitchen forgot to scrape out the inside of the green melon before putting it out.

The worst was the indoor pool showers. Both my husband and I opted to shower after swimming (there were baskets of soap, shampoo, and conditioner out) but neither of us had much hot water. Conditioner rinses out poorly in ice cold water. These showers had that unfortunate black goo around the no-slip strips on the bottom.

Anyway, for a room that costs nearly $400 a night, we expected something better.

Room Tip: Get good directions to your room so you aren't searching in the dark for small numbers on an arr...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Sherrie S
ScottWThomas, General Manager at Nantucket Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 4 September 2013

Dear sasjsasj! We are sorry that your experience did not live up to the other reviews you have read here on tripadvisor. We often find that it takes more than a day to relax and truly enjoy everything that the Nantucket Inn has to offer. The property covers three landscaped acres and there are more than 12 clusters of guest rooms. While we try to communicate good directions at guest reception and offer proper signage we do understand that the layout can be a bit confusing. And we are glad that were able to accommodate your special needs at breakfast - even if it took a little more effort than it should have! Our goal is to offer an evenly excellent experience to all our guests. Thank you!