“great experience that we will do again”
Review of The Wauwinet

The Wauwinet
Ranked #9 of 14 Hotels in Nantucket
Reviewed 27 August 2010

Thought we would try Nantucket this summer as we had never been. Someone mentioned the Wauwinet and it kept appearing in guidebooks we picked up. So, we grabbed a small cottage room apart from the main building.

The room was very comfortable, well decorated, on the small side but not inconveniently so and has a private patio with table, chairs, and lounge chairs. We liked the patio especially at the end of the night sipping a cocktail and having a smoke without bothering anyone. If we had been in the main building, we could do this but it would be at the restaurant or on the beautiful lawn.

Staff was excellent from desk clerk to concierge, bellman to shuttle driver and restaurant hostess to housekeeping. Generally, these folks are a group of college age adults working on island for the summer. They learned our names and frequently used them without hesitation and always had a response to our naïve inquiries.

Toppers, the restaurant, served a wonderful breakfast daily. While associated with the Inn, it is open to non-guests and attracts plenty of them for lunch and dinner. The staff is very good at placing Inn guests on the reservation list and providing the better table location, but it is still best to make your reservations in advance.

The location of the Wauwinet is ideal, but it may also be the root of any complaint one would make of this Inn. Situated on an isthmus between Nantucket Harbor and the Atlantic Ocean, you have the choice of which body of water to enjoy – both have distinct advantages. However, you are a ways from town. The Inn has a complimentary shuttle to and from town every hour that runs pretty much all day long. In our three nights, we made four round trips to town and found it a great way to meet and talk with other guests.

The Inn also provides all sorts of sports equipment for your pleasure including bikes, kayaks, sail boats, etc. By virtue of location, it’s an easy ride on bike paths to the town of Nantucket or nearby Siasconset, or loop path stopping at all three.

Another great advantage to Wauwinet is it’s relationship with other island hotels. While wandering around town one afternoon we ventured out to Brant Point and on our return, stopped in the White Elephant Brant Point Grill for some cold drinks and a little nourishment, all charged to our room. When we needed a short ride to Jetties Beach for a show, the White Elephant was happy to provide a shuttle.

The Wauwinet is not inexpensive, but you absolutely get what you pay for. This is one of those “hotels” where it’s just comfortable to be. Like staying at home but having a staff to accommodate all your indulgences while you relax.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 23 August 2010

I wanted to share with you all about our incredible experience while staying at the Wauwinet Inn..... It begin with Simon Shurey who played a huge role in making our time at the Wauwinet absolutely amazing..... He helped us plan every detail of our very small wedding on June 27th..... He was always available, willing and most gracious. He provided the perfect setting and understood from the very beginning what we were looking for as far as how our day would unfold.

I am so grateful to Simon and all his hard work to make our memories unforgettable. The staff also did a splendid job. They catered to our every whim and with class and kindness. The entire staff were all hard working folks and especially Simon who treated us as though we were the only party at the inn.

Even my teenage boys enjoyed the Wauwinet. I thought they might get bored but they seemed to take in the relaxed setting and felt at home. Our massages were devine and the golf was also a big hit.

I am so happy we chose to stay with the Wauwinet for our wedding and will be forever a loyal fan of the Wauwinet. It is a special place and appreciate all that the inn has to offer.

Please let me know if you have any questions or if I can be of help to you in any way in describing our fond stay at the Wauwinet.

Reviewed 13 July 2010

The staff at The Wauwinet truly understands how to deliver first class service. My husband surprised me with a 3 day trip for our anniversary and every minute was heaven. The location of the Inn is amazing- beautiful beaches, lovely water views and goreous grounds filled with hydrangea. We stayed in a cottage and had a large sitting room attached to an enormous master suite with bath and dressing room. The siting area was comfortable and well decorated. The bed was very comfy and the entire cottage was well-kept and very clean. My review would go on forever if I mentioned every niceity the staff indulged us with. Fresh flowers to the room, chocolates, a complimentary cake for both my birthday and our anniversary sent to the room. Whenever we entered the Inn for info, everyone knew our name, offered us bottled water. There are many things to do at the Inn if relaxing by the beautiful ocean ( steps away) is not enough. We took a 10 mile bikeride- complimentary bikes of all sizes with helmets, packs and water to use. We kayaked in the ocean ( also complimentary for guests) and had the concierge hire us a yoga instructor for a private lesson on the deck of the ocean, with breezes blowing and the waves crashing in the background. We also visted the spa, 10 steps from the main Inn for a couples massage. It was heavenly. We just couldn't get over the service- such a wonderful time. Also, continental breakfast on the deck every morning was fabulous- the service, food and views were amazing. Toppers restaurant, which is right at the Inn is nice- but a bit over-priced for the food. We decided we'll come back every year for a get-away ( without the kids!).

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 27 June 2010

I will begin by saying we had a lovely short honeymoon at the Wauwinet. The grounds are beautiful, the staff warm and responsive, and the rooms were impeccable. However, there were several service mishaps that I felt were not in line with a hotel of this caliber.

1) My husband called a week before we arrived to arrange for a room with a patio. When we arrived, we were shown to a room on the second floor with no patio, and they had no record of the room request. We waited about an hour (in the 2nd floor room) while they prepared the new room.
2) They misspelled my name on the box of stationary in the room. Not a big deal, but an indication that no one took the 2 minutes to check the correct spelling of my name even though they were told we were going to be on our honeymoon when my husband booked.
3) My husband arranged for a small cake, chocolates, and wine to be brought up to our room after we checked in. Only the cake arrived. After my husband called, they quickly brought up the chocolates and wine with sweet, sincere apologies. However, they then left us with a sealed bottle of wine with no corkscrew. We had to call them back so we could open the wine.
4) On our second day, we spent some time reading in the little patch of lawn facing the beach behind the hotel. This is a nice area with cushy lawn chairs, surrounded by flowering shrubs. In the middle of our reading, two gardeners came in with loud leaf blowers and chemicals, and proceeded to spray some sort of liquid (pesticide? fertilizer?) on the shrubs around us. It was quick and they apologized for the noise afterwards, but I found the chemical spraying alarming to say the least. There were only two of us on the lawn, and we would have happily moved if they let us know that they'd be doing any kind of spraying.
5) We reserved a package that included a Champagne picnic. When we received our picnic, there was no champagne in the basket. By this time, we were almost expecting this, and were glad we checked before we trekked over to the beach with our basket.

If any one of these had happened on its own, it would not have been a big deal. Taken together, it was almost comical, and it became a running joke to try to predict what would go wrong next. Nevertheless, the staff did respond warmly, apologetically, and quickly once we pointed something out. For the price that we were paying and given the reputation of the hotel, however, none of these things should have happened.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
3  Thank js06830
wauwinetmanager, General Manager at The Wauwinet, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2010

I would like to start with my sincere apologies for what sounds to me was a horrible experience in details and service. It is our goal to provide all of our guests a great experience at the hotel as well as at the restaurant. It is very clear to me by your descriptions that we missed the mark on several levels. Since I do not believe in letting much time lapse, please contact me direclty and right away, so we can rectify the situation.

Eric Landt
508-228-8558

Reviewed 22 June 2010

The Wauwinet has the best customer service I have ever experienced with a hotel. The staff was not only totally accommodating, but they also did it with a smile. The property is very well maintained, and my dinner at Topper's is one of the best meals I have ever eaten. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 June 2010

I can not say enough about the accomodations and the service at the Wauwinet. From the moment we arrived until the moment we left, we experienced sheer bliss. As a frequent visitor and former resident of Nantucket I can honestly say this trip was unlike any I have had before. The staff went above and beyond to make sure every part of our trip was as comfortable and relaxing as we could have wished. We had a phenomenal dinner for 7 people at Toppers Friday night and enjoyed a fabulous breakfast for 3 ppl overlooking the ocean Saturday and Sunday morning. Each morning the hotel managers, Simon and Eric casually checked in with the tables to introduce themselves and make sure everyone was fully satisfied. I can't imagine how anything could have possibly been better!
We will absolutely be back and would recommend the Wauwinet for anyone looking to fully unwind and experience the breathtaking views & accomodations with the service to match!

Reviewed 15 June 2010

I had heard of the Wauwinet but never been out there. Once you arrive, all the huslte of making the trip changes immediately to a sense of total relaxation and calm. We stayed in one of the cottages - it was beautiful! The decor, the linens- the ambiance were all superior. We had dinner that night at Toppers - there were 7 of us and everyone raved about the food and the service. The staff at the Wauwinet I have to say, may have been the best staff at any hotel I have ever stayed at - from the GM down to the bell man and even the grounds crew they could not have been more accommodating, friendly and professional. The weather wasn't great but it didn't matter we still had a LOT of fun and an amazing, very pampered weekend .

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)