White Elephant
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
White Elephant Village | Residences & Inn(Nantucket)(Great Value!)
US$218
76 Main(Nantucket)(Great Value!)
US$200
  • Breakfast included
21 Broad Hotel(Nantucket)(Great Value!)
US$211
  • Breakfast included
The Veranda House Hotel Collection(Nantucket)(Great Value!)
US$166
Union Street Inn(Nantucket)(Great Value!)
US$278
The Beachside(Nantucket)
US$256
Travelocity
Jared Coffin House(Nantucket)(Great Value!)
US$223
US$190
  • Restaurant
The Wauwinet(Nantucket)(Great Value!)
US$251
Orbitz.com
The Nantucket Hotel & Resort(Nantucket)(Great Value!)
US$265
No availability for your dates from our partners
  • Free Internet
All reviewsharbor view suitebedroom cottagechildren's beachthe main hotelbrandt pointcupcakesoff seasonhotel restaurantpre arrivalin townluxury hotelshort walkdinner reservationscalled the front deskbeautiful roomthe location is perfectjetties beach
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 6 August 2011

We stayed at White Elephant in june for our wedding anniversary. Unfortunately, it rained the whole week-end so we were not able to visit Nantucket at all. So we stayed in the hotel. We are used to five star resort (Four Seasons, Aman etc). The service was very good,very friendly. Was disappointed with our room,we had a Harbour View Suite that was very small. Can't imagine the lower category rooms, they must be tiny! The bathroom also was very small with one sink and bathtub with curtain. Prefer a glass door, can't stand curtains! But the room was spotless and the bed amazingly comfortable. The service in the restaurant could have been better for our anniversary. They didn't want to sit people inside, just on the terrace witch was weird. We had the best meal at the Chanticleer, amazing.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 August 2011

We stayed here for our wedding in Nantucket. The Hotel had wine and cheese waiting for us in our room upon arrival! The room was beautiful, with the most amazing view of the harbor. Nantucket itself is so gorgeous and this hotel is definitely the best! The inns and B&B's are very charming but if you want pristine service and attention then I would recommend the White Elephant! Their restaurant is top notch as well. The spa is also just wonderful, pricey but we had the best massage there! (Nantucket is not for bargain shoppers!) They offer a complimentary shuttle to the airport, ferry, and even the great restaurants that Nantucket has to offer. Can't wait to go back for our anniversary!!!

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank LUVmySTEELERS
WhiteElephant1, General Manager at White Elephant, responded to this reviewResponded 26 August 2011

Dear LUVmySTEELERS;

Thank you for your wonderful posting on Tripadvisor! We love seeing our guests share their experiences.

We hope to welcome you again soon!

Reviewed 1 August 2011

We found the room clean, comfortable and it provided an exceptionally lovely view of the harbor. We missed not having a deck but will remedy that before out next visit.
I believe it is a fair rate for a hotel that provides superb location, view and exceptional amenities and service.
I would like to address the service in particular.
Bettina Landt and her managerial staff were beyond accommodating , particularly in light of our delayed luggage. They provided supplies and more importantly dealt with the airline so that we could enjoy our vacation undeterred (other than minus a few items of clothing).
We would specifically like to commend Jennifer, the concierge, who looked after all our needs and offered excellent advice on restaurants ,walking trips and events. In addition, we would like commend Graham. Not quite sure of his title. Perhaps because he performs so many tasks. From assisting with the luggage to making sure we always had a bottle of cold water when we left to providing us with information only a local could.
Just a small note, we thought the port and cheese in the library was an especially nice touch.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Ruthcharlotte
WhiteElephant1, General Manager at White Elephant, responded to this reviewResponded 4 August 2011

Thank you for your lovely review! We are looking forward to welcoming you back again and hopefully with your luggage this time!

Bettina, Jennifer and Graham!

Reviewed 27 July 2011

My husband and I selected the White Elephant for our one-year anniversary trip. Nantucket is one of my most favorite destinations, and I wanted to share this special place from my childhood with my husband. We decided to go in May (our actually anniversary) as this was a little off-season and therefore, a little more affordable for such a pricey vacation destination.

From the time we made the reservation to the time we left the inn, we were delighted with the service. The inn has a very intimate feel to it, and seeing the same staff often helps with that experience. The decor of the room felt like a home - almost as if the furnishings were individual to each room. Aside from all of the amenities and the gracious staff, the inn is VERY conveniently located. I've stayed at the Wauwinet and even the Jaren Coffin house previously, and this location is by far the most convenient to town.
Make sure you reserve dinner at the Brant Point Grill with a table overlooking the water. We shared a lobster dinner there for our anniversary celebration and it was amazing. We didn't have time to check out the spa since we wanted to get in a lot of island activities, but it certainly looks nice.
We went running, shopping, rented a movie and just relaxed a lot. One thing we did that I really liked was to rent a scooter and ride across the island. It was a little chilly, but totally worth it!

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Stellatravels

Thank you for your review. I am glad to hear that you enjoyed everything this much! I hope we get the chance to welcome you back again soon!

SIncerely,

Reviewed 25 July 2011

We recently stayed in one of the cottages with our 2 children (both under 3 years old). While there were a few issues, overall we thought the White Elephant was good, but not great. Just a quick note that the review doesn't take price into account, so it's up to you to decide on value for the money.

Prior to the trip, the concierge emailed us and was very helpful. We shipped some supplies from diapers.com with no trouble. They recommended some activities for our son like an ice cream cruise around the harbor which he loved. I thought the location was good if you want to be close to town, but Children's beach is really lame even for a 2.5 year old. The room was pretty large for a one bedroom and there was plenty of room for a crib in the bedroom and a pack n play in the living room. One minor complaint was that the door to the cottage was very low and I kept hitting my head on the way in (I'm 6'2").

The biggest disappointment with 2 kids who are difficult to handle at a restaurant is that the room service was horrible. I didn't care how much it cost, but it just didn't taste good. The calimari was arguably the best thing we ordered, but it was a bit undercooked and a little slimy. The cheeseburger was overcooked and dry. The bread on the lobster roll was toasted so poorly that it tasted stale. Fortunately, we were close to town, so it was easy to go out to eat or get takeout.

Now for the real problems we had. First of all, we got back to the room one day and the door was wide open. Apparently, the cleaning staff had just forgotten to close the door when they were done. Nothing was taken, but it was still a little disconcerting. On the positive side, we called the front desk to let them know and later that day they sent over some strawberries and a half bottle of champagne. The other big problem was that we left early for the ferry and left our suitcases for them to bring down later with the shuttle. The shuttle driver didn't bring our luggage, so he had to go back to the hotel and get it. We still had no problem making the ferry on time, but it was just another example of a lack of attention to detail.

If I had to do it all over again, I would probably rent a house on the south side of the island because we liked the beaches there better. I wish I could give 3.5 stars, but I guess I'll round up because we had a good time overall.

Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to post your review of your recent visit to the White Elephant! I am glad to hear that overall you enjoyed your visit with us. I apologize for the shortcomin in housekeeping and room service. I have addressed both with the corresponding teams. Thank you for letting me know.

We do hope to see you again sometime soon, please let me know if and when you plan another visit!