“Amazing place” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #6 of 13 Hotels in Nantucket
Ashby, Australia
“Amazing place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 June 2014

My partner and I stays in the white elephant in May and had a fantastic time the rooms the service the happiness of the place .. Katie our waitress was fantastic very kind and helpful and cared for our dinning experience. I would highly recommend to stay at the white elephant.

• Stayed May 2014
3 Thank Flanagan020589
WhiteElephant1, General Manager at White Elephant, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Flanagan 020589;

Thank you for posting your review. We are happy to know that you had a wonderful time back in May. The Spring is a wonderful time of year to come to Nantucket, as it is before it gets crowded and before the real high season begins. It is peaceful and relaxing! I will pass along your praises to Katie, she is lovely.

Bettina Landt

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
Hyannis Port
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2014

A widow friend of mine and I stayed at the White Elephant mid-week. Bettina and Kelly the management, upgraded us to a two bedroom cottage and extended our stay another day. The visit was perfect!!! Lovely surroundings, well appointed rooms, service beyond expectations. All that we met at the White Elephant were happy that we were having such a lovely time. We now have an expression when something beautiful befalls us...we call it a White Elephant! Thank You!!!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Lucinda W
Dear Lucinda W;

I am delighted to hear that the cottage worked out so well for you and your friend. They are beautiful. The two bedroom cottages, with the new furniture, the recently renovated bathrooms and kitchenettes have such a great layout for families, as well as co-travelers.

I love your new expression. I may need to use that myself!

New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 June 2014

This is hands down the best hotel on the island. In fact, after staying there for the past few years, I refuse to stay anywhere else. The service is impeccable -- polite staff that go above and beyond for their guests. This hotel is all about the subtleties -- turn down service, personalized requests, handwritten weather forecasts, and just about anything you can think of they will provide for you. The beds are also insanely comfortable. I remember one year I left my phone charger in the outlet in my room. Graham, one of the managers, ran all the way into town....onto the ferry...and put the charger in my hands. Best. place. ever.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
3 Thank Gaetano M
WhiteElephant1, General Manager at White Elephant, responded to this review, 5 June 2014
Dear Gaetano M;

Thank you for your review! We are happy to hear that over many visits we have continued to provide you with the level of attention to detail and personal service you and all of our guests deserve. Be it a handwritten note or a last minute run to the ferry with a forgotten item, it is nice to know that we are looking out for you!

Please come again soon.

Graham sends his best!

Westwood, Massachusetts
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2014

Stayed in beautiful 1 bedroom cottage a small distance away from main hotel for 4 nights. Everything was amazing, especially the staff and accommodations. Housekeeping was willing to help with any needs that I had as well. Always goto brunch on Sunday - a must whiling visiting the island. It is as good as the Four Seasons brunch! See you soon and thanks again to Bettina and her staff.

Room Tip: The Cottages are a great option!
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
Dear Paul L;

Thank you for staying with us for Figawi Weekend. While this Memorial Day tradition is a fun event on the island, our location ensures that our guests are well taken care of regardless of the in town activities. Many of our guests actually walked down to the Brant Point Lighthouse to watch the sailboats come in to the harbor. It was such a beautiful day!

Our Brunch is the only full Buffet Brunch on the island, and with the harbor side setting, it is one that has become a tradition with many, so reservations are a great idea. I am so happy to hear that you had a great time and we hope to see you again soon!

Orange, Connecticut
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

Everything here was perfect. From the last minute check in, Graham and Kari were more than welcoming. Upon arrival my bags were taken care of. The room was to die for. Huge king bed facing the wharf directly. Just breathtaking. The little Nantucket chocolate covered cranberries, was such a nice treat. The bath robes and slippers were so cozy. I loved the bath products too! Everything was done so tastefully. The departure gift bag was just what I needed to be on my way. I cannot say one bad thing about this place. The staff, the cleanliness, location and atmosphere exceeded my expectations. My only regret was not buying an elephant pillow to take back. Oh well I will just have to come back!

A must stay. You won't be disappointed!

Thank you Graham and Kari for my last minute check in!

• Stayed May 2014
Dear Alicia M;

Thank you for posting your review. Our location, right on the water, is amazing isn't it? We are so very lucky. I am so happy for you that you were able to enjoy the view right from your room! We do offer a wonderful list of complimentary services, such as our BMW courtesy car, our complimentary wireless and much, much more, but our chocolate covered cranberries are one of my personal favorites too! (I may have even had some of them instead of lunch the other day...)

Our robes and our elephant pillows are both available in our retail shop. Please know that we send them out daily as a result of phone orders, so do not hesitate to call the team and we will gladly get a pillow out to you! 508 228 2500

General Manger
Cambutal, Panama
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 May 2014

After a 30 hour plane ride and drive, a two hour ferry trip with vehicle we ended up at the White Elephant.

It's hardly a luxury resort but rather a "nicer" hotel with a few amenities.

First, it's pricey, very pricey. The rooms are adequate but quite frankly there isn't a Hilton or Doub
letree on this planet that isn't as nice or nicer for far less money.

Service is marginal in the restaurant and the food quality for the price point is ridiculous. A simple martini is 16.00, a single crab cake 22.00, (appetizer, not a meal). Breakfast for two was over 50.00 for a basic bacon and egg breakfast and it should be noted that it was cold upon arrival at the table. Dinner was "just ok" and nothing special.

The vast majority of the staff we encountered were foreign and obviously from areas where service is an unknown word. Rudeness, hostility and indifference are the best descriptions you might think of. Be advised that everyone you encounter will have their hand out and regardless of prior experience or training seems very entitled with little or no regard for the guest. This reflects upon and points to the poor management that you will encounter at the WE.

Our server in the lounge was bordering on perfect and saved the day for the facility. Further, I will say that the front desk service was adequate and friendly but this hardly justifies giving the White Elephant anything more than adequate. These two encounters were the best at the facility. Neither justify a "special" or "excellent". A very poor value overall.

Nantucket is very expensive and clearly the area is happy in separating you from your hard earned cash. I expect "seasonal" service this time of year, however I am unable to find the justification for this type of pricing or the fawning statements of other reviewers.

Save a lot of money and book elsewhere on the island.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank Ronzo4600
WhiteElephant1, General Manager at White Elephant, responded to this review, 30 May 2014
Dear Ronzo4600;

Thank you for posting your review. Needless to say it is always difficult to read a review that outlines a less than wonderful stay. It is, however, an important part of our continued effort to improve. As you can see by other reviews, while we are not perfect, the overall experiences our guests have here are wonderful.

Nantucket is expensive, this is an important and very true observation. Everything on an island is subject to additional expenses based on transportation to the destination, a high real estate cost that affects wages and housing as well as a very condensed season of really three months. I am sure you experienced this when you brought your car over on the ferry. It is now just about $400 round trip. It is an interesting business model. None the less, it is a beautiful place that our island guests come to time and time again. I believe this is in part due to the remoteness, the preserved beauty and a sense of tradition that encompasses the island.

What concerns me far more is that when we missed steps, such as rudeness and cold eggs in the restaurant on two encounters, I wish you had brought this to our attention. While I am happy to discuss any shortfalls with anyone at any time (508 638 3418 is my direct number), it is always most effective to do so when you are still here. We are not perfect, but the best time to get a stay back on track is while our guests are still here. It is always easier not to say anything. In fact we all do this at times (myself included), but the reality of it is that this results in a stay that could have been much, much better had it been brought up and out in the open. At any given time, there are managers here on property that are available to our guests. If the restaurant is the issue, then there are at least two if not more managers at the reception. I too, am always available to our guests. Please ask for me.

We do have a seasonal staff. In fact, we employ approximately 150 people from well over 20 different countries. I find this is a wonderful accomplishment and one we are proud of. Most of our employees come back year after year and many have been here for over 5 seasons. Training is an ongoing process that never stops. Whether it is a new or a returning employee. Please know that as I write this response, steps are being taken to ensure that the concerns you had are put to rest for current and future guests.

Again, I apologize that you had this experience and I am glad you enjoyed aspects of your stay. The relationship between a hotel and it's guests is a partnership that we value greatly, so please don't wait until you get home to speak up. We are always here to listen and make things right.

Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

The best hotel that we have visited in a number of years. The White Elephant Inn overlooks the harbor and is within walking distant of the town center while being just far enough from town to be quiet. The staff is friendly and professional.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
WhiteElephant1, General Manager at White Elephant, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear Jim G;

Thank you for your lovely review. We are indeed very lucky to have such a wonderful location right on the water near Children's beach. Most of our rooms and suites overlook the ever changing harbor and for those guests that do not have a harbor view from their accommodation, there are plenty of lawn chairs on the lawn facing the view. Our beautiful restaurant, the Brant Point Grill, also features harbor-side dining, even on colder evenings, we have heat lamps that keep our guests toasty warm.

Thank you again and we hope to see you soon!