“The White Elephant is Most Wonderful”
Review of White Elephant

White Elephant
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Nantucket
Reviewed 28 October 2006

The White Elephant impressed me quite a bit - we really felt like royalty. We arrived on the very early ferry at 9am but the hotel graciously stored our luggage in a locked room and said they would call if our room was ready early (before 3 check-in). It was ready at 1 and they called me on my cell phone (we were in town having lunch). The room was lovely cottage style with luxurious linens and blankets and a balcony. Although it was not a "harbor view" we could easily see the harbor and greatly enjoyed morning coffee on the balcony. The only thing missing was an in room coffee maker - not sure why they don't have it but you can get complimentary morning coffee and pastries at the restaurant on site. I told them it was our anniversary and we were greeted with a bottle of chilled champagne in our room and delicious belgian chocolates in a beautiful box. The staff greeted us by name when asked a question at the front desk and were very courteous and helpful. The concierge called us ahead of time and asked if she could help us with activities, reservations etc. She got us a great table at Oran Mor and we enjoyed dining there. They have a great concierge service - use it during your stay (I wished we had used it more). The lawn chairs overlooking the harbor are wonderful. To top it off, we missed the complimentary shuttle back to the ferry (our fault) but they called the driver and he came back! They assured us we would make the ferry and made sure it happened. Off season they have special rates (ask) and are more reasonable than many bed and breakfasts. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay there.

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
4  Thank Jasperini

Reviewed 19 September 2006

Excellent location within walking distance of Steamship Wharf, downtown, and the harbor. Accomodations wtih two queen beds comfortable, clean and spacious for our two night stay. Gracious main building lobby and landscaped grounds. Helpfpul staff, shuttle to the ferry, and continental breakfast in the main building in the morning. Concierge to assist with planning tours, meals, etc.
Lovely property, we'd happily return.

Stayed: September 2006
4  Thank Habagal
WhiteElephant1, General Manager at White Elephant, responded to this reviewResponded 3 September 2013

Please note that some of these older reviews pertain to the Harbor House Village, which is not the White Elephant. For reasons beyond me, we cannot move them since the Harbor House no longer exists. Very odd. I apologize.

Bettina Landt

Reviewed 10 September 2006

After contacting the property directly so I would receive advice from someone who knew which accommodations would be best for a family of four (kids aged 9 and 13) I was told that we could only be accommodated with two suites. This was not the right way to go and when we arrive there were several better and much less costly (i.e. less than $1400) options. (2rroms, 1 room and 1 suite, or their other property.) We had pre-paid and inquired about changing to some of the other options but they were completely inflexible ...as it turned out the kids just stored their stuff in the other suite b/c their was a doublle sofa bed in ours and they wanted to be with us. This felt very wasteful. The suites are broken up an tight and bathrooms are very basic. We looked at houses /cottages where we would have spent half an had four times the space. The extra hotel amenities are very limited so they really do not account for the difference. The gym is tiny. No pool on the premises. There is one very good concierge. The staff are nice but not super professional. Housekeeping did just an okay job. The location of hotel is great -- convenient and quiet. The restaurant was nicely situated with pretty good food. There are many exciting restaurants on Nantucket, tho' so this would not be a reason to stay here. I enjoy paying good money for great hotels on vacation. This hotel was just okay so I really felt we overpaid for the exerience.

• Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
8  Thank tripindicular1
Reviewed 5 July 2006

We stayed in one of the three bedroom garden cottages at the White Elephant for five days and had a really nice time. While spacious and much needed (versus rooms) for me, my wife, her parents and our two kids, the 3 bdrm cottage didn't seem to be up to the standards of the rest of the hotel. The living room was pretty small, there was no kitchen (only a dorm fridge that froze the kids' milk and cheese) and single vanities (with no place for dop kits) in the 2 bathrooms. It was certainly fine, but not really woth the $1400+ per night we were paying. We had two bad dining experiences at Brant Point Grill (the in-house restaurant), both involved having to wait waaaay too long for our food. We complained (a lot) both times and got each meal comped (probably saved us $350+). Slow service notwithstanding, the breakfasts were especially good and very reasonably priced (we ordered everything a la carte). For dinner on the island, go to 21 Federal and American Seasons, they were incredible (as always). While the White Elephant was very nice, it was a lot of money for what we got. We're going back to renting a house next time we go...

• Stayed: July 2006
8  Thank monkeyrock
A TripAdvisor Member
Dayton, Ohio
Reviewed 19 June 2006

Nice clean, large rooms. Gracious hospitality, and very attentive and efficient concierge service. Beautiful well kept gounds. I can not complain about a thing, it was a delightful restfull atmosphere, full of a lot of charm. Very convenient to walk to all the neat shopping areas, as well as the harbor and all the great restaurants. We ate at the Harbor Wok twice and the food was excellent too! I would return for sure!

4  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 19 June 2006

I just returned from one week at Harbor House Village and found it to be a near perfect place to stay in Nantucket. It's a stones throw from the Steamship Authority dock and a 5 minute walk to the downtown area. Children's Beach is literally across the street. Bicycle, scooter and car rentals are literally next door. The staff was always friendly and helpful -- they asked for my mobile number when I arrived and called to tell me my room was ready earlier than check-in time. The lobby was very relaxing and homey. While it's true the rooms in the main house are on the small side, they are very clean and serve their purpose well. There are other options available for those who need larger rooms. The hotel provides coffee and mini muffins in the morning, and the Harbor Wok restaurant is on the premises. There are two computers available directly off the lobby for guest use at no charge. They even have a medium size pool on the property. For my money I'll find it hard to stay anywhere else, and already look forward to returning there next year.

7  Thank AGL-NJ
A TripAdvisor Member
Boston, MA
Reviewed 19 June 2006

For such an expensive rate, I would have thought screaming children were not included. We were constantly woken up in the middle of the night by slamming doors, yelling and banging on connecting walls. Also, the one "function" room, which is the hotel's restaurant was booked for a wedding. The location is okay, but the pool must attract families with small children because that is all we saw. I even felt uncomfortable being in the pool area since I was the only one over the age of 8. I would not recomend this hotel for anyone planning to get away and relax. Its noisy and not worth the money. Very dissapointed.

14  Thank A TripAdvisor Member