“great value, excellent location”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Anchor Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nantucket
Anchor Inn
Ranked #21 of 39 Nantucket B&B and Inns
Boston, Massachusetts
“great value, excellent location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 October 2011

my husband and I just spent a day on Nantucket and stayed at the Anchor Inn. The main reason I picked this location was the price, it was significantly less than the other locations I looked at. We stayed in the Platina Room which is located on the second floor. You need to go up a narrow steep set of stairs, remember this is an old house, and the room is located at the end of a short hallway. The room was charming complete with comfortable queen sized four poster bed. Apparently this is the the only room on the second floor with a full sized bathroom. The bathroom was not huge by any means, but was fine for our needs. Decent water pressure in the shower, blow drye rand a sample basket of shampoos, etc. is included. Short walk to the ferry and downtown Nantucket.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Kretschm1

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Millis, Massachusetts
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 October 2011

This was our second visit to Nantucket in two years and stayed at this lovely Inn which is just a short walk to downtown restaurants and shopping. The innkeepers were wonderful - our room was lovely - the public areas (especially the side yard) were very inviting. The Inn is located on a quiet street about a 10 minute walk from the ferry landing. Our room (Arnold) was clean and well maintained. New flat screen TV, lots of windows, nice linens and large closet space. The only negative would be the small shower stall. Yes, we would select this inn again when travelling to Nantucket.

Room Tip: check the web site for photographs.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank deanna46
Indianapolis, IN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 October 2011

My aunt and I arrived mid-afternoon on a Wednesday, and Den was our innkeeper for Wednesday and Thursday. He helped us with our bags, gave us a tour of the main areas of the inn, and ended by sitting us down in the parlor for highlights of the island. He also gave us great advice about renting a car from the bike shop instead of the airport, which saved us the cabfare to the airport again.

We had the twin bed room at the top of the stairs on the third floor. It was perfect for our needs, and very quiet. The inn was very clean. The view from our window was amazing: we could see the widow's walks and the church nearby.

The location was wonderful, as it was a five-minute walk to the main street area. A bakery is nearby, and the docks are closeby as well. We did quite a bit of window shopping. We could walk to a great variety of restaurants, bars, and scenic points, depending on the time of day or night.

There were times where my aunt and I would take different paths for the afternoon. I grabbed my book and found a quiet place in the sunroom to read until her return, and I was not disturbed by other guests or city noise.

This will be my inn of choice on my return.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
New England
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2011

To me the essence of Nantucket. I do not know why people complain about being unable to mingle with people or innkeepers at the inn not being interactive at times; most have found them to be friendly and helpful. Intermingling with breakfast guests also staying at the inn is not a desire of everybody. Some people are not talkative in the morning and want to just enjoy their coffee and breakfast. And staying at a B+B does not necessarily= an "intermingling necessity". Some people just want a little privacy. They will extend themselves and be friendly if that is what they want. This place is quite nice IMO.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with friends
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 August 2011

My husband and I had a GREAT time at the Anchor Inn on Nantucket island. The staff - specifically Dennis and Heather - were extremely helpful on our first visit and the fresh-baked muffins were delicious! We stayed in the Tucker room, which was just the right amount of space for us. We had a separate entrance, air conditioner, armoire, and two chairs on our pseudo-balcony, along with a great window view of quaint properties on either side of the building.

The Inn is located just 2 blocks from Main Street, along a row of other BnB's. We were close enough to all of the action but far away enough not to hear the nightly gallivanting closer to town.

We really have nothing negative to say about this place - it was a refreshing respite for us and fit the bill!
- The Crowes
Philadelphia, PA

Room Tip: Ask for the Tucker Room and try to book during the week during the high season
  • Stayed August 2011, travelled as a couple
New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2011

This was my first stay at The Anchor, and it pretty much fit the bill for what I was looking for. First off, I read other reviews about the size of the rooms and such. People, this house was built over 200 years ago as a residence, not as a Hilton hotel! What do you expect? The place is very clean and the bed very comfortable (I stayed in the Platina room). You get the basic necessities, such as a hairdryer, a nice flat screen TV and nice Crabtree and Evelyn bath products. The common areas are cool and comfortable. It's about as close to town as you can get and very convenient to the ferry, shops, restaurants, etc. I have to say I was glad I only had a small bag instead of a regular suitcase to drag along for the ~10 min (max) walk to the boat. Ann and the staff are very nice and available with suggestions IF YOU WANT on where to go and what to do. This is not an "in your face" type of B&B and I happen to like that.

They provide muffins, fruit, juice, coffee and tea in the mornings. (BTW, B&Bs on Nantucket are not allowed to serve hot food, from what I understand.) I only wish I could have had a cup of coffee earlier in the morning (I get up before 6) or in the afternoon or evening, but that's how it goes. You can stash items in the fridge and there were some folks on the back patio enjoying their bottle of wine (glasses and corkscrews are available in the house).

You can walk to anywhere in town easily. Jetties Beach and Children's Beach are close by, but on a very hot day or with kids in tow it may be a bit far on foot. It's a nice 15 minute walk otherwise. The bike rental shops are right down the street. It's not near the ocean beaches, like Surfside, but I did rent a bike and ride over which made for a nice day. You just have to watch out for all the traffic, especially in town.

If you're looking for the basics, with peace and quiet, the Anchor is a good place. If you're looking for a fancy-pants place where the B&B owner is hovering over you, you might not like it so much. I will definitely be back, no question about it.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled solo
1 Thank marty99x
La Grange, Illinois
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 June 2011

My husband and I stayed at the B&B for 3 nights just before Memorial weekend. Nice quiet location that's an easy walk from the ferry. Easy walk to the center of town for shopping restaurants etc. B&B has a wonderful colonial charm that goes with it's age. It's a nicely preserved/ decorated inn. Our room on the first floor was clean, very nice and comfortable. Spacious and clean bathroom. Fresh baked muffins and fruit every morning. The friendly innkeepers and staff made great recommendations for touring the town and restaurants. The Whaling museum is a must.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled solo