“A Great B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Anchor Inn

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nantucket
Anchor Inn
Ranked #21 of 39 Nantucket B&B and Inns
Lowell, Massachusetts
“A Great B&B”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 June 2010

The Anchor Inn is by far one of the most delightful places to stay in Nantucket.
Relaxing and just plain comfortable in a quaint colonial setting.
Located within a minutes walk to the center of town and all the shops and restaurants.
Whenever we get to come back to Nantucket, my wife and I stay here.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ALW_60

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Boston, MA
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2010

My husband and I stated at The Anchor Inn for the Nantucket Wine Festival and chose it because the price was right. The Inn itself is pleasant and the innkeeper was very friendly and hospitable. But the room we had - the Horatio on the second floor - was absolutely horrible. The bed was so uncomfortable with a deep dip in the middle that neither my husband or I got much sleep. It needed to be replaced years ago.

As for the bathroom, it was just a small shower stall with a thin curtain and a toilet. The room was so small that when one sat forward on the toilet, it was impossible to shut the door. So we had to sit sideways with our feet practically in the shower. Let me add that my husband and I are completely normal sized adults. A larger person would be even more uncomfortable. The sink was out in the main room so you had no privacy when you were washing your face, etc.

In the morning, the muffins and coffee was very nice. I can't speak for other rooms in this Inn, but definitely avoid the Horatio if you can.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
7 Thank ccbelle35
nantucketanchorinn, Owner at Anchor Inn, responded to this review, 30 June 2010
Oh my gosh....I wish they had told us! We bought a new mattress set the same day we read this comment. The prior mattress was new in June 2008 (2 yrs old) so we were surprised to read this since we have always been told that our beds are great....and it important to us to have the best mattresses and box springs for our guests. So please, let us know when you are here if there is a problem, so we can have a chance to address it, before you leave.
This room is a good value and the small bathroom and the sink basin in the guest room is described online. ( only the Horatio room has this arrangement)
Note: ALL guest rooms have a private bathroom, some are smaller, some are larger, some have bathtubs with showers, some have only showers...so please read the descriptions when you book direct on-line, or ask when you call us. We'll be glad to provide more details, since each room is different in our historic inn and home. Thanks, Ann Balas
Colorado
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 October 2009

Stayed in the Anchor Inn and the hosts were nice. The room was small and the mattress needed replacement. Only muffins and coffee served in the morning and all self serve and the hosts did not encourage much mingling with guests around tables. The location was nice and the Inn was quiet. I would recommend this for those on a budget even though the price was up there!

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Adventureitall
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 31 July 2009

The Anchor Inn is a historical Bed and Breakfast on the island of Nantucket about thirty miles off the coast of Cape Cod, Massachusetts. It sits quietly on Center Street amidst the old grey and white wooden homes that give Nantucket its character. The Inn is a short and pleasant walk (about 5 minutes) from where you disembark from the Steamship Authority ferry.

When arriving at the Anchor Inn the friendship steps, soft lights in the windows, and the sound of classical music playing in the background immediately greet you. We felt like we were stepping into a part of whaling history. There are old wooden floors, antique furniture, nautical decorations, and a garden porch for breakfast and tea. Our room, named Cyrus, was on the third floor of the house up the charming staircases and through the perfect hallways. Each room has its own name, in honor of the nautical tradition of naming your home on a quarter board posted above the doorway. It had a colorful rug on the wooden floor, a soft canopy bed, little lights throughout the room, and a feeling of being transported back in time.

The Anchor Inn is in the perfect location for spending time on Nantucket. It is across the street from Benjamin Franklin grandmother’s home and next door to a beautiful white church surrounded by the bright blue and purple hydrangeas. The Inn is literally two to five minutes walking distance from the main part of town including bike rentals, restaurants, specialty shops, the Jetties beach (about 10 minutes) and the local bus station (for getting anywhere on the island).

We had the privilege of staying at the Anchor Inn for two nights. Ann and Charles Balas, are two of the few owner residents still on Nantucket and meeting them alone is worth a stay at their Bed and Breakfast. They have owned the Anchor Inn for over 27 years and are two of the kindest people you will meet. Their knowledge and passion for Nantucket is infectious and every visitor should spend time chatting with them. If you want to know where to eat a romantic dinner or which beach to watch the sun set they will know. One highlight of our stay was spending each morning leisurely eating delicious home mad muffins (specialty of Charles), fresh fruit, and sipping coffee in the kitchen patio area while talking with Ann, Charles, and other guests. If you are considering a trip to the Nantucket we highly recommend staying at the Anchor Inn.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank jamesrhayes
Woonsocket, RI
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 October 2008

My wife and I stayed at the Anchor Inn's annex site at 72 Centre St. on September 22 through the 26 and enjoyed the spacious (for Nantucket Inns) room. If you're looking for a Holiday Inn or Sheraton type of Inn or room these Inns are not for you. If you like the quaint charm of historic homes in an historic New England town you'll appreciate just how these Inns fit in to the surrounding town. We received an excellent rate for the room and thoughly enjoyed fall on the island. We've stayed on Nantucket numerous times and our room, the Essex, was the largest that we've been in so far. Breakfast was served at the Anchor Inn just three doors up the street but we didn't find that to be a problem. We ate and continued on our way to downtown and our day on the island. The Inn is just far enough from downtown to afford itself a quiet area just past the Jared Coffin House. The only sounds we heard were from the cars that passed by the Inn though they were by no means annoying. They were the sounds you'd hear if you were home and you lived by any street. We never did hear anyone talking outside the Inn. The staff was polite at our arrival and departure and we would only see them when they changed the towels and made up the room each day if we happened to be at the Inn. The room was just as pictured on their website. More than likely we'll stay again at this Inn.

• Stayed September 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
1 Thank Croix49
Massachusetts
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 July 2008

We stayed at this establishement 2 years ago and it was "sub par". The location was perfect; right in the down town area and some room to park your bike if you bring it over to the island.
They had put us in the Annex down the street ont eh first floor, 1st room on the right. The room was clean and small. Now, if you stay at a B&B all rooms tends to be on the smaller side which is fine. It smelled not so friendly, but mostly musty. I agree with one of the other posters that the AC was loud, bathroom was very small, smelly and was an old converted closet to a bathroom. The outside courtyard at the main part of the inn was very nice. Now the innkeepers, lets just say that she didnt give us the warm and fuzzies. I had left my cell phone charger behind by accident and when I called to let her know, she told me that in order to mail it back to me (back in Boston) that I'd have to mail her a check for $1.00 first..How tacky and cheap can someone be?? After dropping some serious dough on the dump, she was cheap enough to demand a buck for postage.. you have to laugh. Now when we've stayed at other B&B's, its all about "staying in your home away from home" creating a family atmosphere, making us feel at home.
Now, if I ever have guests stay at my home, and they forget something that I can easily mail them, I won't be tacky and cheap to demand a check for $1.00 before I do it... I'm sure you'd all agree...
BOTTOM LINE, PASS on this one,,, I'd rather camp on the beach. Its smells better!!!

• Liked — the location
  • Disliked — the innkeepers
  • Stayed August 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
4 Thank DG1977
Massachusetts
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 May 2008

Buyer beware!!! My wife requested a 2 night stay this coming July at the Anchor Inn and received a written quote directly from the hotel (not a computerized service) for $145 per night. When she called to book the room she was told the rate was now $225 and that the $145 wouldn't be honored as the person giving her the quote was new. In my line of work you honor your mistakes-especially if it's a customer error. The worst part-once my wife found out they would honor the quote she was not able to find suitable lodging for her vacation and she's scambling to find a new location. If a place won't honor a written price it's not a place I would want to stay.

Stayed May 2008
1 Thank jr2002Massachusetts
nantucketanchorinn, Owner at Anchor Inn, responded to this review, 1 July 2010
All of our rates can now be viewed online for each room by date. This situation was based on misinformation of a rate quoted for mid-week in early June rather than peak season in the summer. The June rate of $145 was not available in July or August. With our new online reservation capability hopefully any misunderstandings will be avoided and all parties involved will now see the same information.