“Great Weekend in Orion Cottage”

The Cottages at Nantucket Boat Basin
Ranked #14 of 38 Nantucket B&B and Inns
Reviewed 7 September 2012

My husband and I spent a weekend in the three bedroom, two bath cottage Orion with my two brothers and their wives (so, 3 couples total). This cottage was perfect for 6 people to share. If you call in advance, they will make up all of the bedrooms as king size beds, normally the two non-master bedrooms have twin beds. When the other two bedrooms are made up as kings, then really the only difference between the master bedroom and the other two is that the master has a TV and an en-suite bathroom. We flipped a coin and my husband and I ended up with the master, but I would have been happy in the other two as well. One of the bedrooms does have a door that goes directly outside to the back patio. To get to the back patio, you can just go out the front door and walk around the cottage, though, you don’t have to go thru that bedroom. The back patio was a great place for happy hour. The cottage is two floors – both bathrooms and all the bedrooms are on the ground floor, the kitchen and living area is on the upper floor. There was also a small deck off of the kitchen, but really only 2 people could fit on that deck. Having a kitchen was definitely a nice bonus, even if we just used it for the Keurig coffee maker and the refrigerator. I thought Orion was in a great location, a lot of the other cottages that we walked by seemed rather smooshed together, and some of them basically looked into each other, whereas Orion had a great view of the harbor from 3 sides. We weren’t bothered by noise from the boats at all, and it was fun to be at the docks.
However, my parents were there at the docks on their boat, so that is really the reason we picked the cottages – so we could be close to them. Otherwise I don’t think I would have chosen this place. Don’t get me wrong – the cottage was extremely nice and very well maintained and a lovely place to stay – but if you have no reason to be at the docks, then I would say spend that same money and stay at the White Elephant or someplace that has a pool or beach, and more privacy. It certainly wasn’t a cheap place to stay. The 6 of us could have gotten 3 separate rooms at the best B&B in town for the same price.
The front desk service was great – they do have bikes to loan out, but we only “got” them one day when we went right when they opened. I guess they only have 12. It seems to me that if all 12 are getting checked out promptly when the office opens each day, that they should consider getting some additional bikes to accommodate more guests. The front desk does also provide beach towels.

Room Tip: Look at the map on their website when choosing a cottage - some are in much better locations and hav...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
1  Thank KES317

Reviewed 3 September 2012

My sister and I recently joined a longtime mutual friend and had a wonderful several days at The Cottages and Lofts at the Boat Basin.
The General Manager, James Storey, was exceptionally accommodating, responsive, helpful, and made every effort to make our stay fun, worthwhile, and all of us were very grateful for all he did.
Our cottage was at a great and convenient location for short walks to restaurants, attractions, and shopping.
Overall, the customer service was superb whether from James Storey and/or his his staff.
Our cottage was always well cleaned every day and the chamber maid was also very pleasant and polite.
We would all like to return to Nantucket!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marty G
Reviewed 28 August 2012

We stayed at the Cottages the first week in August of this year for 5 nights. We have been to the island before and have never stayed in a hotel (always rent a house). We wanted to get away for the weekend and this hotel peeked my curiosity because it was on the marina and I knew my husband would love to be on the dock, checking out the boats (I was right!) We stayed in the Ark studio for 3 nights, then joined friends in a 2 bedroom cottage called Kittywake. Both were great as far as comforts of home-it was great having a kitchen (although we only used fridge for drinks and the coffee maker) The beds and linens were what you would expect in a 5 star hotel and the place was spotless. The staff is extremely friendly, warm and willing to help. One recommendation would be to get a bike, beach towels and your name on the list for rides in the beach van because other guests seem to "hog" some of these things, which of course you can't avoid- we just like being a little more last minute and we learned day 2 that we needed to get bikes "just in case" we wanted them or there would be none when we did. One other thing to mention is that the dock is very loud. There are restaurants on the dock but the most noise came from the boats that were docked over the weekend with people partying late into the night. This wasn't an issue for us but even with the air conditioning on you could hear everything. If you are looking for a quiet time this is probably not the spot for you. For us it was great and I would say the only thing we were missing was a pool, but for a short trip it was perfect!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank deirdrec
Reviewed 14 August 2012

ok, so you may think your rooms are small,but folks you are in a cottage. such a sweet, clean, hospitable place. The staff is so acommadating and pleasent. i can not say enough about Allie at the front desk. She is truly amazing. Even with the phone ringing off the hook, and guests arriving and departing constantly.................she did it all , and at the same time gave each person 100 percent attention. pleasant and calm. we had a few major glitches with another hotel on the island with relatives coming and boat basin was sold out. i dont want to tell you all how wonderful this place is because than my husband and i may not be able to get a reservation next year. what a great place. kudos to them for caring about their guests and their property.

Room Tip: a 1 bedroom cottage suits 2 adults and perhaps 2 adults one child.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 August 2012

Was very impressed with service at boat basin cottages. We were able to get a last minute reservation for overnight stay into a woof cottage since our dog was with us and checked in about 7 pm. When we returned after dinner a "dog package" was waiting for us with a dog beds, bowls, along with take home treats, , squeak toy and a personalized dog tag with our dog 's name on it!
A great souvenir! I thank Cheryl at the front desk for arranging the special dog package at the last minute . Nice location with boats and yachts outside our front door!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank delray
Reviewed 31 July 2012

This was my first stay at the cottages and I WILL return. They picked me up the ferry and took me to check in. Later that day when I was ready to go to my room the took me to it in a golf cart and to my surprise my luggage was already there. The van service to the beach was also an added bonus. no long bike rides to my favorite beach. The staff was helpful when making the reservation and during my stay. The location of the cottage was close to town yet far enough away from any noise. I can't wait to stay here again!!

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 July 2012

Great little cottages. Fun experience to stay at the wharf. Great location. We particularly liked the bikes that were provided by the hotel. The service was great. I was worried that the cottage would have evidence of prior dog visitors, but they were clean and comfortable. It was a great unique experience, and I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple