“Great Location and more than helpful Innkeeper”
Review of The Carriage House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nantucket
The Carriage House
Ranked #30 of 38 Nantucket B&B and Inns
San Diego, California
“Great Location and more than helpful Innkeeper”
Reviewed 29 July 2011

This BnB was perfectly located just above Main Street down this crushed shell driveway/street. We walked up five blocks from Straight Wharf with two pieces of luggage each. Close enough to walk, but with the cobblestone streets and brick paved sidewalk, a taxi would have been a little easier in the humid heat!
We stayed in a room with its own bathroom. It was well worth it for the convenience factor. The morning breakfasts were a welcome treat before we headed out for a day of exploring. They also changed the sheets everyday, which wasn't really necessary, but welcomed.
This was a really great place to stay and also one of the less expensive places on ACK.

Room Tip: Get a room with its own bathroom... so convenient.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marco S

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
asheville
Reviewed 29 July 2011

My husband and I recently stayed at the Carriage House with friends. It was very nice... clean, lovely home, great location (down a little lane) and not far from town. The best part was the owners, Haziel and his wife Tomome. Before we even left home, Haziel spent a lot of time answering our travel questions about Nantucket and Cape Cod. He is very knowledgable and gave us valuable information. We arrived early, around 10:30 am, but that was not a problem. One of our rooms was available for our luggage. The day we left they let us leave all our things there until our ferry later in the day. Haziel recommended several restaurants and we found them to be great choices. (Brotherhood of Thieves and Even Keel) I really enjoyed looking through their collection of books about Nantucket. They served a wonderful breakfast outdoors. Tomome makes her own granola and I have to say it is the best! They also served homemade whole wheat muffins, two other kinds of home made coffee cakes, fresh fruit, juices and coffee. We were in room 7, downstairs and it was very large and bright. We would definitely stay here again. It is a very comfortable place at an affordable price.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank janetandlarry
Cortland, New York
Reviewed 26 July 2011

Haziel was there to greet us at the door with a warm and friendly welcome. I found the rooms to be very clean and comfortable. Breakfast was served on the garden deck. It consisted of the BEST homemade granola, warm muffins, cut up fresh fruit, juice and coffee. The Carriage House is centrally located and is within walking distance to the ferry and shopping. Haziel, thank you for sharing the history and interesting stories of Nantucket with us. I loved Nantucket and will visit the island and The Carriage House again.

• Stayed July 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank spotts13045
Hernando, Florida
Reviewed 29 June 2011

He may be doing a study on people and their reactions! After all, he claims to have been a teacher. Haziel dropped the "F Bomb" while retelling an episode (to a group of us) in his teaching career that a student had said! Very out of place! No need that we knew!!!

Someone had moved a small bouquet of roses to the side of a table to see the TV in the TV room and he came in and stated that someone had moved the flowers to see the TV and he put them back in the center of the table. Most strange. He obviously has issues.

Talked politics and insulted Pres. Reagan and it was known to all in ear-shot how ultra liberal he (Haziel) is.

No air-conditioning for those hot days!

One night there was an overpowering smell of eucalyptus in the hallway that was most offensive! The next night it was there again but not as strong, but still stunk!

The rooms are advertised as rooms, each with its own shower. That's FALSE! Some rooms share a shower and a few rooms have the private showers. Be forewarned!!

Having read all the reviews at this time (19 of them) I'm willing to bet he's doing some kind of study of people and how we respond to various things while staying at the B&B OR he does definitely have issues that a doctor could take care of.

Never got introduced to his wife, Tomomi. I was beginning to wonder if he was married! Turns out she bakes and sets up breakfast and cleans the rooms. I asked a woman who was cleaning a room one day and she said she was his wife. Poor thing! He must dictate to her and think she's a lesser being or something. Really sad!!!

Rooms were clean! Had shut down our two bedroom windows and I told Haziel I had because it looked like rain and I didn't want anything to get wet/ruined. When we returned to our room both the windows were wide open! So what else did he do or look at?

Well, just proceed with caution.....it's your money and "down time". Price good but I would not return a second time. Was not a comfortable experience~ Definitely not a dream trip!

Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
3 Thank honestabe36

Travellers are raving about these Nantucket hotels

Ohio
Reviewed 11 July 2010

On our recent trip to Nantucket, we booked two nights at The Carriage House and definitely enjoyed our stay. We were looking for an island retreat to get away from a shamefully dirty farmhouse we'd rented for the week in the Stockbridge area of Massachusetts, and we were delighted to find The Carriage House impeccably clean and comfortable. The rooms are decorated in a country style -- rather shabby chic -- and we couldn't find even a speck of dust in the room; that's how clean it was. It's within a 5 minute walking distance of the wharf and other major downtown points of interest like shops and restaurants, and we were able to find plenty of on-street parking for the Jeep we'd rented for exploring the island.

Don't listen to the other negative reviews of Haziel, the owner. He's an environmentally-conscious and politically-aware person who reads voraciously and has traveled all over the world. He engages his guests in intellectual conversation at breakfast, and that may be a turn-off for some, especially those who do not share his political views. Despite that, Haziel is excellent with names and even remembered our 6-year old daughter's name and introduced her to everyone at breakfast for two consecutive mornings. His wife, Tomomi, makes the most delectable muffins and homemade coffee breads for breakfast. Both are so yummy but not overly sugary. These are balanced by a selection of cut fresh fruit, homemade granola & a non-sugary cereal mix (corn flakes, cheerios, shredded wheat) -- along with fresh squeezed juice, organic milk, and fair-trade organic coffee.

Vacationers would be hard-pressed to find a more affordable, comfortable, and welcoming B&B on Nantucket. If/when we return to the island, I would not hesitate to book The Carriage House again. It was truly a home away from home.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Maraywa
Boylston, MA
Reviewed 2 September 2009

Well, I have to say I did my research before going to Nantucket, like many of you are now reading these reviews. I have to say that all that I read were spot on.

This place has fantastic location. It is in a central, yet very quiet location. Even by Nantucket standards. Especially for the price, you could not ask for a better location. It is about a half mile walk from the ferry. The area it is in, like most of the island, is just beautiful.

Haziel, the host/owner, could be a little more kind, but he's just a wierdo. He fell backwards into this place after his mother could no longer run it. He does a great job of giving you advice of where to go and such if you have never been to the island. My expierience with breakfast was to die for. I was craving it for months after we left. I even called him and asked for his recipie for the muffins he makes in the morning. I have been to several B&Bs, and this was definately one of the most memorable breakfasts ever. Really, Haziel is good at heart, but you have to take the good with the bad with him. If you ask where to go or what to do, do what he suggests. He will follow up with you either later in the day or the next morning at breakfast. If you did not follow his suggestions, he will call you out on it. He just doesnt have GREAT people skills. He has good ones, not great ones.

If you can get past his idiosyncracies, the place is really a great find. Our room was decently spacious, and very well kept. There was no A/C (as with most places on the island) and of course it was sweltering out. But not thier fault. Overall, I would definately return here. Especially for the rate.

What it all boils down to is this: If your going to Nantucket, you have to realize that there are some odd birds that live on the island. But they LIVE there, and we are just visiting. If you adapt the Nantucket attitude while your there and just go with the flow and relax, then this place is more than adequate, especially considering how inexpensive it is compared to comprable B&Bs.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank wags3813
Maryland
Reviewed 25 August 2009

I'm not sure if "hard times" have hit this place, but the "gourmet" breakfast so many speak of was no where to be seen. Basically it was a muffin and mixed fruit. There was cereal, but it consisted of cheerios, corn flakes, cinnamon toast crunch and whatever other ends of cereals they could find to throw in a container. There was granola, but nothing to put it on. We did not attend breakfast for a second round - black eyed susan's is delicious, however! Unfortunately, breakfast was the least of the problems with this place.

I read so many positive reviews and from speaking with the owner, Haizel, on the phone, I expected a pleasant (yet affordable) place to stay. The location is good, but not worth it. Besides having an unpleasant host, the rooms are shabby, the shower has absolutely no pressure and the sinks are backed up so you can barely wash your face. In addition, the fuse blew in our room just from having a light on and a hairdryer. When I went down to ask for help, no one was available and our host did not answer his phone. Luckily his wife came home within a half hour and was able to restore power. We never heard from Haizel though.

Basically, we avoided this place as much as possible during our trip. We would be exhausted from walking everywhere but just keep going because we did not want to return. When we checked out, I asked for a receipt for accounting reasons and you would have thought I asked Haizel for his first born child. He made a huge deal and ended up writing some scribble on a scratch piece of paper. In addition, he felt the need to write a completely asinine comment at the bottom as if he was notarizing it.

Had there been any ounce of hospitality, it may not have been as bad; however, I'm with the other person - I wouldn't stop to pee on this place's front porch. Oh, and if you aren't familiar with Nantucket, be aware that there is no A/C here.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple