“Comfortable Room & Amazing Breakfast”
Review of The Carriage House

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Nantucket
The Carriage House
Ranked #29 of 38 Nantucket B&B and Inns
Ohio
“Comfortable Room & Amazing Breakfast”
Reviewed 11 July 2010

On our recent trip to Nantucket, we booked two nights at The Carriage House and definitely enjoyed our stay. We were looking for an island retreat to get away from a shamefully dirty farmhouse we'd rented for the week in the Stockbridge area of Massachusetts, and we were delighted to find The Carriage House impeccably clean and comfortable. The rooms are decorated in a country style -- rather shabby chic -- and we couldn't find even a speck of dust in the room; that's how clean it was. It's within a 5 minute walking distance of the wharf and other major downtown points of interest like shops and restaurants, and we were able to find plenty of on-street parking for the Jeep we'd rented for exploring the island.

Don't listen to the other negative reviews of Haziel, the owner. He's an environmentally-conscious and politically-aware person who reads voraciously and has traveled all over the world. He engages his guests in intellectual conversation at breakfast, and that may be a turn-off for some, especially those who do not share his political views. Despite that, Haziel is excellent with names and even remembered our 6-year old daughter's name and introduced her to everyone at breakfast for two consecutive mornings. His wife, Tomomi, makes the most delectable muffins and homemade coffee breads for breakfast. Both are so yummy but not overly sugary. These are balanced by a selection of cut fresh fruit, homemade granola & a non-sugary cereal mix (corn flakes, cheerios, shredded wheat) -- along with fresh squeezed juice, organic milk, and fair-trade organic coffee.

Vacationers would be hard-pressed to find a more affordable, comfortable, and welcoming B&B on Nantucket. If/when we return to the island, I would not hesitate to book The Carriage House again. It was truly a home away from home.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Maraywa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Boylston, MA
Reviewed 2 September 2009

Well, I have to say I did my research before going to Nantucket, like many of you are now reading these reviews. I have to say that all that I read were spot on.

This place has fantastic location. It is in a central, yet very quiet location. Even by Nantucket standards. Especially for the price, you could not ask for a better location. It is about a half mile walk from the ferry. The area it is in, like most of the island, is just beautiful.

Haziel, the host/owner, could be a little more kind, but he's just a wierdo. He fell backwards into this place after his mother could no longer run it. He does a great job of giving you advice of where to go and such if you have never been to the island. My expierience with breakfast was to die for. I was craving it for months after we left. I even called him and asked for his recipie for the muffins he makes in the morning. I have been to several B&Bs, and this was definately one of the most memorable breakfasts ever. Really, Haziel is good at heart, but you have to take the good with the bad with him. If you ask where to go or what to do, do what he suggests. He will follow up with you either later in the day or the next morning at breakfast. If you did not follow his suggestions, he will call you out on it. He just doesnt have GREAT people skills. He has good ones, not great ones.

If you can get past his idiosyncracies, the place is really a great find. Our room was decently spacious, and very well kept. There was no A/C (as with most places on the island) and of course it was sweltering out. But not thier fault. Overall, I would definately return here. Especially for the rate.

What it all boils down to is this: If your going to Nantucket, you have to realize that there are some odd birds that live on the island. But they LIVE there, and we are just visiting. If you adapt the Nantucket attitude while your there and just go with the flow and relax, then this place is more than adequate, especially considering how inexpensive it is compared to comprable B&Bs.

• Stayed July 2008, travelled as a couple
5 Thank wags3813
Maryland
Reviewed 25 August 2009

I'm not sure if "hard times" have hit this place, but the "gourmet" breakfast so many speak of was no where to be seen. Basically it was a muffin and mixed fruit. There was cereal, but it consisted of cheerios, corn flakes, cinnamon toast crunch and whatever other ends of cereals they could find to throw in a container. There was granola, but nothing to put it on. We did not attend breakfast for a second round - black eyed susan's is delicious, however! Unfortunately, breakfast was the least of the problems with this place.

I read so many positive reviews and from speaking with the owner, Haizel, on the phone, I expected a pleasant (yet affordable) place to stay. The location is good, but not worth it. Besides having an unpleasant host, the rooms are shabby, the shower has absolutely no pressure and the sinks are backed up so you can barely wash your face. In addition, the fuse blew in our room just from having a light on and a hairdryer. When I went down to ask for help, no one was available and our host did not answer his phone. Luckily his wife came home within a half hour and was able to restore power. We never heard from Haizel though.

Basically, we avoided this place as much as possible during our trip. We would be exhausted from walking everywhere but just keep going because we did not want to return. When we checked out, I asked for a receipt for accounting reasons and you would have thought I asked Haizel for his first born child. He made a huge deal and ended up writing some scribble on a scratch piece of paper. In addition, he felt the need to write a completely asinine comment at the bottom as if he was notarizing it.

Had there been any ounce of hospitality, it may not have been as bad; however, I'm with the other person - I wouldn't stop to pee on this place's front porch. Oh, and if you aren't familiar with Nantucket, be aware that there is no A/C here.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
2 Thank drr44

Travellers are raving about these Nantucket hotels

Cape Cod, MA
Reviewed 9 August 2009

I stayed at the Carriage House along with my family and 8 relatives and found the experience to be very positive. The rates are reasonable, the location right downtown just can't be beat, and the innkeeper Haziel is very accommodating and knowledgeable. The rooms were very clean and comfortable. The house is old and charming but well-furnished. The breakfasts were fantastic--fresh baked muffins, cake, fruit, and in the afternoon, homemade cookies. Haziel is very knowledgeable about the island and knows people in all the businesses to recommend, he knows what he's talking about, just listen to him.

We traveled with 6 kids and he was very nice about it, but our kids were well-behaved. I would say, don't listen to the negative comments about him, it sounds like they were posted by people who don't appreciate the B&B experience and would be better off in a Four Season or a Motel 6.

I would not hesitate to stay at the Carriage House again and would recommend it to anyone. Haziel is a real ambassador for Nantucket and has traveled and lived internationally, he's not just a "local yokel."

BTW, for those of you who have to go online when traveling like me, the Bean coffee shop has great free wi-fi and is a 3-minute walk from the Carriage House.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank Mommarina
Philadelphia
Reviewed 22 November 2008

It was lucky for me to spend my vocation in the place like my own home; The rooms are beautiful and and service is really good.
The price was reasonable. The location is within walk distance to downtown and the harbor.
The free breakfast was wonderful with delicious homemade muffins with unlimited island trip guidance from the owner.
Anytime back from trip, I found cookies and lemonade ready for me.
This is definitely the place to stay when you spend your summer vocation in Nantucket!

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed August 2008, travelled solo
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ocala, FL
Reviewed 23 July 2008

The location of this B&B is great: in town, close to everything incuding the beach bus stop. The rooms are tiny but clean; however, the bed sheets are so old, they don't cover you so that you have blankets next to your skin. The landlord is overbearing, giving a homily during breakfast which, incidentally, is not gourmet as advertised. For instance, I don't eat sugary breakfast foods and the only food for me were sweetish buttered English muffins. The breakfast table is covered in lichen--not even a plastic tablecloth.

All kinds of mishaps occurred: the door of our room jammed and kept us prisoner for a while. A false fire alarm in our room sent us scurrying out of doors. The landlord burst into our room without knocking when we were having a nap in our birthday suits, etc. etc.

We would not return to this B&B under its current proprietorship.

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed July 2008, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
2 Thank FLCharles32
New York City
Reviewed 6 May 2008

We've been vacationing on Nantucket for 6 years and have stayed in many B&B's and hotels. Finally we've found a place that we can call 'Home away from Home'. The Carriage House is the Best - price is right, location can't be beat and the rooms are cozy and clean.

It's an adorable Nantucket B&B. The owner, Haziel and his wife Tomomi (sp?) were so gracious and so helpful in any way to make our stay on the island perfect. To us this seems to be a Real Nantucket Homestead - it's been in the family for years and is truly 'Run with Love."

The breakfast was perfect for an energizing start to the day which we need because we are always on the go. Sometimes we just ran out and started the day, and other mornings at breakfast, we got caught up in really interesting conversations with people from all around the world. There were so many wonderful viewpoints to share - so much to learn, and in a very comfortable open atmosphere.

If we didn't have a clue as to what to do or needed help in discovering the island, Haziel was always there with suggestions and directions.

Thanks! This is our place to stay form now on!

Stayed May 2008