“Wonderful B&B”
Review of The Chapman House

The Chapman House
Ranked #16 of 38 Nantucket B&B and Inns
Reviewed 1 October 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Chapman house on 9/26/2012 thru 9/27/2012 and we had a great time! We got upgraded as soon as we got there (because it was off season and the B&B wasn't full) Our room was beautiful and they gave us an Ipad that had local attractions, restaraunt info, etc. Our breakfast the next morning was delicious, fresh juice was served to us and the staff was excellent! I would DEFINITLY recommend this B&B and we look forward to staying there again!!

Room Tip: it's an old house so if anyone is tall in your party make sure you ask about ceiling height and...
  • Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 29 September 2012

My boyfriend and I stayed at the Chapman house at the end of August and loved it! Nate and Hillary were extremely friendly and helpful in many ways. The Inn was clean, renovated, and had beach chairs and towels and beach bag available for guests to take to the beach. The location was ideal for walking to anything. Nate and Hillary were very kind, even offered to dry our wet stinky running clothes after we got caught in the rain one morning on our run! The Chapman house is a lovely place and we plan to head back again next year!

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 September 2012

Our daughter recommended the Veranda House to us as great place to stay to celebrate our 50th anniversary and for good reasons. We stayed 4 nights in the Chapman House and the entire time there was perfect. The managers, Hillary and Nate, were knowledgeable, kind, and fun. The breakfasts were outstanding as were the afternoon cookies. And the location was a "5" being that it was in town, on a quiet street, and near the ferry wharfs and bike paths. We hope to return again!

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 September 2012

My boyfriend and I spent a week here and had a great experience. Hillary and Nate are fantastic; they're super friendly without being intrusive and were incredibly helpful in giving us tips on places to see, where to eat, etc. The house is newly renovated and has great decor that's also comfortable. We were in room 37, which I think is the largest but it's true that some of the others were quite small. We spent the one rainy morning we had on the covered porch at the Veranda House, reading and enjoying the down time. All in all we had a great time, and would definitely visit again.

Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Every one of my senses were tapped and nourished by staying at the Chapman / Veranda house.
Firstly upon check in my friend and I were greeted by super friendly staff and our first names as if they were excited to receive us more than we were to stay....the rooms are beautifully decorated, comfortable, up to date with Ipads upon arrival to help a Nantucket novice find her way around and Apple TV, beautiful linens and towels.

Happy hour relaxed us from our trip and set us up for our dinner in town.

Breakfast was relaxed in its layout and surroundings, healthy and delicious.

I only stayed one night but I want to come back and stay more and have recommended the hotels to everyone that will listen to me.

An awesome hotel, with awesome people that made the start of my trip incredible.
xo

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 5 September 2012

Last week, my 13 year old daughter and I stayed at the Chapman house for 3 days. I had previously stayed at their other property the Veranda house on a previous trip. The service provided by Nate and Hillary is superior. It is comfortable, spotless, everything is provided for you, and if we needed anything, I'm pretty sure they would have gotten it for us. Hilary and Nate were wonderful. The perfect mix of friendly and helpful. Our room was perfect for us (both 5'5" and under). The room, which was decorated beautifully and very comfortable had a low ceiling both in the main room and the bathroom (my 6'2" husband would have been constrained). Despite this, the room did not feel small to us, and I am sure there are plenty of other wonderful room options in this hotel for taller travelers. Its nice that you get to choose your room online. Other points that stand out are the yummy fresh continental breakfast with plenty of options, use of an ipad with all the things to do in Nantucket organized for you, everything you need for the beach like towels and chairs, a full bathroom with shower available if your room is not available or if you have a late flight and want to tidy up before you leave, homemade cookies in the afternoon, pre dinner champagne at the Veranda house next door, and they will make any arrangement for dining or activities that you are interested in. We would totally stay there again......Superior service. The only other recommendation is that if you use the Apple TV, know that it might take too long to download a movie. We ordered one at 9pm and it took 2 hours to download so we couldn't watch it, but perhaps we were doing it incorrectly.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I wanted to love the chapman house b/c I am a big fan of the verandah house and love Nantucket b&b's in general. I'm sorry to say I was disappointed. The innkeepers are very nice and really trying their best to make their guests have a lovely experience. However, the rooms and bathrooms are so small (we were in one of the largest) that you can't spend any time there. Heaven forbid it had rained I don't know what we would have done. They have worked very hard on the decor however it really lacks functionality. For example they have a bowl
Of berries at breakfast that looks very inviting but almost impossible to get the berries out without knocking over the entire bowl. The same with the fancy water container. It poors water in small drips. The breakfast is very basic (which I didn't mind) but other than "nice modern" decor and twirlers at turn down there is absolutely nothing special or remarkable about this inn. Hillary the innkeeper is very very sweet but does not make up for claustrophobic rooms, embarrassingly this walls, and a bathroom
Mirror that only reaches your chest. Will probably not return with so many options on Nantucket.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank SoCal2NYC
robblood, Owner at The Chapman House, responded to this reviewResponded 5 September 2012

Our absolute first priority when it comes to hospitality is to make sure that you have the best, most relaxing holiday that you can. Therefore, if you find that Chapman House or any of our properties are not for you, we’re always more than happy to recommend other properties that may suit your needs more appropriately - even if it means that we send you to a hotel that is not part of our group. The great thing about Nantucket is that you have many different choices for lodging. We make no bones about the fact that most of our rooms are compact - that happens to be the nature of the 1717 structure in which they are housed. What we have found this season is that the fresh, modern decor, designer linens, exceptionally plush beds, freshly baked breakfast and personable yet unobtrusive service are getting rave reviews. In addition, it is important to note that between Chapman and Veranda House (which is right next door), our guests have access to covered verandas, two lounges and two dining rooms in which to spend time on rainy days. Plus, each room at Chapman House offers a new iPad and an Apple TV to help while away the occasional rainy day! At Chapman House, we happily offer a hip alternative to doiley laden bed and breakfasts and generic larger hotels.

For guests who are considering booking in the future, please visit our “Rooms & Rates” page on our website where you can see floor plans of each of the rooms. As always, if you have questions before booking, please call the hotel and we can give you a more detailed overview of the layout and amenities in each room. Future guests, please also read on and see what others have said about their Chapman experience! I would welcome any questions or comments via email at Rob@LarkHotels.com

Rob Blood