“Dido Teddy H’s Review above”

The Proprietors Bar and Table
Reserve with OpenTable
The Proprietors Bar and Table is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 144 Restaurants in Nantucket
Price range: US$30 - US$30
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Description: Housed in a historic Nantucket home, the restaurant reminds guests that the residents of old Nantucket came from far flung place.
Reviewed 29 July 2013

Teddy from Boston said it all and perfectly! The restaurant looks good, quite an upgrade from the old DeMarco’s. Although i found the interior, especially the 2nd floor quite empty and the lighting in the evening is terrible, dark, blank and yet very glaring. Hard to describe just not right.
The food, menu, philosophy were schizophrenic and not explained. I guess they are trying to do a tapas style experience without the menu or our server explaining the situation.
Some dishes were a success but others just didn’t work. Hopefully they will hit their stride, fine tune and hire a staff that guides the diner in a clear concise manner. Good luck Proprietors!

2  Thank kerdesigns

Reviewed 26 July 2013

We didn't have a chance to eat here, but stopped for a drink after dinner one night. The menu of cocktails offered is quite creative even including a kale martini! The feel of the bar was pretty cool too. I would definitely come back to try out some more of the cocktails and try out the food.

Reviewed 22 July 2013

I was surprisingly not "blown away" by THE PROPRIETORS. My wife and I visit Nantucket multiple times a year and were excited to try this new place because it is run by the same folks who own AMERICAN SEASONS, which for my money is the best fine-dining restaurant on the island. But we both left The Proprietors just thinking it was OK. The restaurant is in a great location right on India Street, and it is very neat and clean, but on the second floor at least they seemed to be going for a fairly minimalist design with bare walls; it wasn't really that attractive and for me made the place noisier than it needed to be.

I'm not really sure what the philosophy behind the menu was (not that a restaurant needs to have a philosophy) but I think that the gimmick was that the first two sections of the menu were "sharing" portions while the third and final section was more traditional entrees. We had a very nice waitress but she really didn't explain the concept that well. It was almost like THE PROPRIETORS is kind of trying to be a tapas place, but without the Spanish food, if that makes sense.

The food itself was OK. My wife and I were both a little overwhelmed by our appetizers, although the effort was there. I enjoyed the steak I had as an entree, which was cooked perfectly, and we both loved the desert. Neither of us thought we had a bad meal by any means, but it was very expensive (par for the course on the ACK) and in that sense not really worth the money.

Again, we went in there REALLY predisposed to liking the place because we love AMERICAN SEASONS. So just a little disappointed. But I am the first to concede they just opened and might be getting their sea legs. I will be willing to give them another chance in a year or two.

Reviewed 9 July 2013

You have to be prepared to feel dumb when you read the menu. They use unusual names and items. We had to have everything explained to us. The Shrimp was yummy, however it comes with the head on the shrimp so it is a little messy. The salad was a unique twist on asalad. The entree's were also great. It is affiliated with American season. We sat in the room on the first floor in the back. It was bright and pleasant. I would go back again. The server was outstanding.

Reviewed 8 July 2013

We just ate at this recently opened restaurant. The food was fabulous. I ate the Rock Shrimp appetizer (spicy but good) and the Sea Scallops entree. The menu is a bit confusing with half share and full share. Just think of the half share as a small appetizer and the full share as an entree size. The #4 house cocktail with kale was surprisingly good. Since this is a new restaurant, there are some kinks that still need to be worked out. It took too long to get our first round of drinks and our second round. The bar needs some fine tuning. The food came on time so no issues with the kitchen. We ate in the back room behind the bar. It was uncomfortably warm in there and incredibly loud. We were seated at a table for four and I had to ask the server to come to the other side so I could hear what he was saying. I felt as though I was shouting throughout dinner. We skipped dessert since it was too warm to sit there any longer.

1  Thank Traveler60745