“subtle perfection”

Good for: Local cuisine, Special Occasion Dining, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: Broad Street
Description: Oran Mor Bistro is located up a flight of copper stairs in an historic Nantucket home. The restaurant has an intimate bar and three dining rooms with attractive earth-toned decor that are a warm prelude to delicious, beautifully prepared food. The bar radiates warmth of the past with its wide plank flooring, pen and ink bar top and gaff-rigged wine glass racks. Oran Mor features handcrafted cocktails from the freshest ingredients, house infusions and specialty spirits. The wine list predominantly features wines from France, small American producers as well as a travelogue of wines from around the world. Oran Mor Bistro is owned by Chef Edwin Claflin and Jon Tancinco. The cooking style is one of inspired simplicity; each ingredient complements one another to create a unique, savory dish. The evolving and innovative menu is derived from the changing seasons and their bountiful offerings. Showcasing native seafood, fresh local produce and naturally raised meats from select farms.
Reviewed 11 May 2014

Miso glazed cod was outstanding and the finesse used to develop the broth that seasoned the arctic char was truly special. The sheer talent of the chef was evident in his/her ability to transform simple ingredients into world_class cuisine. We could not have asked for more.

1  Thank BTVCathy

Reviewed 23 April 2014

One of my favorites on the island. Food is absolutely amazing and great wine selection as well. French country ambiance in quaint upstairs dining room. Espresso martinis, woah!

Reviewed 14 November 2013

Went to Oran Mor last September. Wanted to have a special dinner with friends who were visiting for the first time. Even cancelled at another great place. Requested the private outside table months in advance to make the dinner intimate and special. When we got there they informed us that the private balcony was closed (we had not been informed of this even though we had left a cell number) because it was too cool that evening. OK...so they ushered us into the bar and told us it was the only table available. Really? I asked if we could have a table in the cozy, beautifully decorated fireplace room in the back. "No, this is the only one we have...if you had come about 10 minutes ago you could have had a table there." Very disappointed. No effort shown to accommodate us to get a like table. We had made reservations, like I said, months in advance and requested the private balcony because this was a very special dinner. Ordered the pork chop (just ok) from a unenthusiastic waitress who turned immediately cool when we told her we were not going to stay for dessert! Everyone's dinner was just OK.....Did I say I was very disappointed? Would not go back....

2  Thank StartPackin
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Despite having been to Nantucket several times had never been to this spot. Having heard good reports went there on a Friday night and was not disappointed.
Seated promptly, in 1 of several very atmospheric (generally darkish) rooms, the service was most competent and pleasant. THe place is more spacious than it appears to be externally with at least 3 separate dining rooms noted.
My only disappointment was the attempt to bring out the main course while I was still finishing my appetizer. The waitress was savvy enough to ask if that would be OK, and when I told her to give me at least 5 more minutes, the entree entry was appropriately delayed. However, I felt this should not even be an issue in a high quality place (?being rushed a little as a solo diner that night?).

Aside from that, this was a top spot. Excellent selection of 3 breads, wide selection of fish, meats . All that were tasted were fresh and clearly high quality. Value was also quite reasonable on both food and drink.

In sum, Oran Mor is worth an initial, and return visits.

2  Thank HBARRY740
Reviewed 23 October 2013

The place has a high opinion of itself. I order a pork chop. We waited and waited. The other meals were ready but no porkchop. Almost an hour went by then it arrived with the other meals and was very good. When we asked some of the serving staff why the wait. They said they had no idea. No one made an effort to find out. I think they didn't have a porkchop and had sent someone all over town looking for one at 8 o'clock at night.

2  Thank ethan1791